Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NSIC Awards....POY, Coach of the Year, etc..

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
    For Coach....I kinda look at as how did they do versus expectations....BSU is about what we figured given what they had return. Mankato always has high expectations and they didn't go unbeaten like plenty of years past. Wayne....they were 7-4 last year..so 9-2 is better for sure and the playoffs are new to them here.

How about first year head coach Brian Bergstrom or maybe his DC (assistant)....seeing as Winona has only made the dance once in the last decade..?

I'm not sure SMSU gets any of the awards, being an under .500 squad..but maybe. I'm thinking some names like Alt at QB, Bohn at Wayne maybe..Thuro..etc. I think Marshall is a lock for the D..and maybe newcomer also..haha

good call on Bergstrom

Comment

Coach Bergstrom defiantly in the Coach of the Year category
      First year head coach, with an all new coaching staff offensively and only one defensive coach returning. He put a team together with what he had, without running out and grabbing Transfer-Portals athletes. He is building a program and culture that will not be picked to be in the middle of the pack next year.
      At a minimum this year sharing the conference South title with playoff potential. Expectations have been exceeded in Winona and in the NSIC.
      Not only did he build a program, but his culture of accountability involving the players in multiple community events, student/athletes participating at the local schools and FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) with game day devotions. He is Faith, Family and Football and finally gives credit to his wife and the coaches wives for holding things together at home extremely humble individual.
      He is a coach of the game on the field and a coach for life off the field.

Comment

Next week on the pod Tom and I will discuss these topics and we will offer our own votes (that don't count) for those spots..and then we will look back at how I did with my season preview and team predictions vs their actual record....probably not awesome..haha. We will also do a year end review and touch on each squad.

Comment

For Coach....I kinda look at as how did they do versus expectations....BSU is about what we figured given what they had return. Mankato always has high expectations and they didn't go unbeaten like plenty of years past. Wayne....they were 7-4 last year..so 9-2 is better for sure and the playoffs are new to them here.

How about first year head coach Brian Bergstrom or maybe his DC (assistant)....seeing as Winona has only made the dance once in the last decade..?

I'm not sure SMSU gets any of the awards, being an under .500 squad..but maybe. I'm thinking some names like Alt at QB, Bohn at Wayne maybe..Thuro..etc. I think Marshall is a lock for the D..and maybe newcomer also..haha

Read my mind here on COY. I think Coach Bergy deserves some serious consideration. It is not easy to make the playoffs. It's even more difficult to do it at a brand new school, with an inexperienced QB, and a whole new system. A win tomorrow and he should win the award for sure.

Comment

New Comer of the Yr. offense Kyle Walljasper UMD

Comment

Originally posted by Umdfan35 View Post
              New Comer of the Yr. offense Kyle Walljasper UMD
              That could be a very good call there. We are going to evaluate this on our weekly show..but I think you have a strong one here.

Comment

POY Hayden Ekern --- once he got rolling Mankato has been unstoppable. Can't wait to see them play Mines, but that should be a home game, the seeding process is messed up

COY Bergstrom for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Ironlinks View Post
                  POY Hayden Ekern --- once he got rolling Mankato has been unstoppable. Can't wait to see them play Mines, but that should be a home game, the seeding process is messed up

COY Bergstrom for sure
                  I'm guessing the Ekern thing is unlikely. He played until half in the opener before getting hurt..and then played in sections of the Wayne game, but didn't start..from what I recall. (could be wrong) That means he's played 5 full games..plus 2 halves = 6 games essentially. It'll be hard to get POY playing 6 of 11 contests. They've been far better with him healthy and playing..no doubt..and he's been a difference maker. Much of that can also be attributed to a relatively inexperienced skill group gaining more experience as the year continued..which helped Ekern when he did return.

The COY might be a split between Masters at Wayne and Bergy at Winona.

I believe the release is Wed..per the past.

Comment

That could be a very good call there. We are going to evaluate this on our weekly show..but I think you have a strong one here.
                    will the all NSIC come out before your weekly show?

Comment

Originally posted by Umdfan35 View Post

will the all NSIC come out before your weekly show?
                      Yes....Tom and I decided to record on Wed night this week, partly because he's got a hoops game he's gotta call on Tuesday anyway....but we will have our own picks and we will do a pretty healthy size regular season review..since there's just 2 NSIC games for us to look at..both rematches..no team from another conference to talk about, etc.

Our show will release Wed evening and we will react to the choices made by the coaches.

Comment

Witt,
                        I get POY is probably stats driven an other factors. But MVP is Ekern, I think Mankato wouldn't be where they are without him.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X