Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    Many people think D1 is this magical land where everyone is an NFL prospect and everyone regards the basketball program with the same reverence as Duke, but that's just not the case. Reality will hit Mankato hard if/when they move up and still can't fill the stands to see something called a Western Illinois in basketball.
    Lots of people are saying that most NCAA student athletes go pro in something besides sports.

Also congrats to Mankato on their move up. They'll finally get Kelby Kramer the competition he deserves.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

I didn’t realize Mankato was exploring the move?
      Not to my knowledge, just a hypothetical - I hear a lot about how Mankato folks would attend basketball if MSU was D1. The idea of packing the Taylor Center to see the University of Denver is hilarious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

Lots of people are saying that most NCAA student athletes go pro in something besides sports.

Also congrats to Mankato on their move up. They'll finally get Kelby Kramer the competition he deserves.
        A school doesn't need to be D1 for that to apply.

And my comment on MSU was hypothetical.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

Western Illinois is the Crookston of Summit
          The Summit League is pretty bad as a whole. You know it's a rough go when SDSU is the best basketball team they have.

I guess Oral Roberts had that one run before fading back into obscurity.

Comment

Not to my knowledge, just a hypothetical - I hear a lot about how Mankato folks would attend basketball if MSU was D1. The idea of packing the Taylor Center to see the University of Denver is hilarious to me.
            You seem to have a hypothetical within your hypothetical. I haven’t heard that one time from Mankato fans. The Taylor Center used to be a really fun place back in 2002-2011, since then it’s been a nice building that stays nice because there isn’t any fan wear and tear! Haha.

People do say that many fans attend hockey because it’s D1. And that part is true. But it also is held off-campus, with alcohol. So, there’s the big draw. And the names of the teams that hockey played/still kinda plays. D1 basketball crowds wouldn’t be any different than they are now.

Comment

It's not about Denver, but certainly they would be more excited to attend a game against SDSU (not to mention the Jacks fans that would show up) more so than a Crookston or whatever. While it was nice for us long time NSIC schools to gain the former NCC members, we have to think as their fan bases did. To them, it was like a demotion or seeing something so great fall apart while you are left behind.

I know for a fact that D1 chatter does exist in administration however while learning details of percentage of alumni that give back, etc. Its certainly more hopes than it is a plan, to my understanding. I just don't see how they can do it, atleast with football.

Similar to Augie, Mankato would compete near the top in the Summit and in some sports, nationally.

The Taylor Center would absolutely get to shine more in the Summit than in the NSIC. Thats not even a question.

Comment

The Summit League is pretty bad as a whole. You know it's a rough go when SDSU is the best basketball team they have.

I guess Oral Roberts had that one run before fading back into obscurity.
                As of just this year or what? The Summit has had nationally ranked teams in a variety of sports. They aren't the ACC but are you speaking of just SDSU or just this year?

SDSU has looked shockingly worse than I thought they would this year. Even more shocking is I think most thought Mors would be a big time addition.

Comment

It's not about Denver, but certainly they would be more excited to attend a game against SDSU (not to mention the Jacks fans that would show up) more so than a Crookston or whatever. While it was nice for us long time NSIC schools to gain the former NCC members, we have to think as their fan bases did. To them, it was like a demotion or seeing something so great fall apart while you are left behind.

I know for a fact that D1 chatter does exist in administration however while learning details of percentage of alumni that give back, etc. Its certainly more hopes than it is a plan, to my understanding. I just don't see how they can do it, atleast with football.

Similar to Augie, Mankato would compete near the top in the Summit and in some sports, nationally.

The Taylor Center would absolutely get to shine more in the Summit than in the NSIC. Thats not even a question.
                  Good point on visiting crowds. And some MSU fans would possibly come back to see the old NCC names on the jerseys again. Maybe.

However, this is not happening. In my years on this board, I think the MSU to D1 chatter has been brought up by 99% of people that are not MSU fans…

Comment

You seem to have a hypothetical within your hypothetical. I haven’t heard that one time from Mankato fans. The Taylor Center used to be a really fun place back in 2002-2011, since then it’s been a nice building that stays nice because there isn’t any fan wear and tear! Haha.

People do say that many fans attend hockey because it’s D1. And that part is true. But it also is held off-campus, with alcohol. So, there’s the big draw. And the names of the teams that hockey played/still kinda plays. D1 basketball crowds wouldn’t be any different than they are now.
                    That's obviously anecdotal, though you'd have more interactions with Mankato fans than I would on a more consistent basis.

Hockey is a different beast all together. I agree with basketball, I don't think moving up would help attendance for Mankato.

Comment

That's obviously anecdotal, though you'd have more interactions with Mankato fans than I would on a more consistent basis.

Hockey is a different beast all together. I agree with basketball, I don't think moving up would help attendance for Mankato.
                      I think it gets mixed up with the people that talk about fans going to hockey games due to it being D1. The same isn’t true with basketball, though. Not in Mankato at least, that is a hockey town to start.

Comment

That's a fair point with SDSU. NDSU might as well as they are the closest to a household name the Summit/MVFC has. St. Thomas being local too might draw a bit of a crowd.

Comment

Good point on visiting crowds. And some MSU fans would possibly come back to see the old NCC names on the jerseys again. Maybe.

However, this is not happening. In my years on this board, I think the MSU to D1 chatter has been brought up by 99% of people that are not MSU fans…
                          Just passing on what I'm told by MSU connections, not my own stuff. All of this is meaningless of course, it's just chatter but I don't just make things up and am usually pretty clear when I say "in my opinion" or "atleast that's my belief", etc

Comment

Just passing on what I'm told by MSU connections, not my own stuff. All of this is meaningless of course, it's just chatter but I don't just make things up and am usually pretty clear when I say "in my opinion" or "atleast that's my belief", etc
                            I thought stating "if/when" might be good enough, but it appears it was not.

Was just picking on them since the chatter about moving up always centers around them, or Augie. Being an MSU alum, I've definitely heard people rag on them for not being D1 all-around, so it's surprising to hear that's not as common of a sentiment as it appeared it was.

Comment

I wasn’t aiming the second part at anyone, just a general statement. Conversation is good on a random Thursday! Especially when it’s civil.

Comment

I thought stating "if/when" might be good enough, but it appears it was not.

Was just picking on them since the chatter about moving up always centers around them, or Augie. Being an MSU alum, I've definitely heard people rag on them for not being D1 all-around, so it's surprising to hear that's not as common of a sentiment as it appeared it was.
                                Passive aggressive, you’re a good Minnesooootan :)

The only issue was that you were incorrect about the fans clamoring for D1 basketball. Can talk hypotheticals all you want. Haha

My original question of not being aware of MSU’s move was just a jab. I wasn’t taking you seriously about that :)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X