Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WSUWarriorFan View Post

Whats the reason for not wanting baseball?
    Money reasons- Title 9. They had people who were willing to make donations, including the Brewers, he just dug in his heels on it. They have had a club team there for years, not reason to be the only BIG team to not have the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
      It was posted in the past that UDUB's Barry Alvarez the AD, wanted no other Scholarship FB in WI.
      probably still true. Wisonson does well getting local kids to walk on to start

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
        Jamestown has some intrigue. They have $$ and are upgrading facilites.
        Worth noting, they now have an NAIA national championship to their name in volleyball. Obviously a massive jump to the NSIC though.

Comment

Originally posted by WBChargerDad View Post

From what I understand, though I can't find anything concrete on it, there are some mandates here in WI that prevent anyone but UW from offering football scholarships.. if true, it's asinine, and not in the best interest of the student athletes in WI.
          I think that applies to the UW campuses outside of Madison, but I don't think there's anything preventing a private Wisconsin college from offering football scholarships (not that there are that many options outside of the UW schools for a potential move to D2).
          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by WSUWarriorFan View Post

If any Wisconsin schools went the D2 route I doubt they would go to the NSIC. Whitewater, Platteville, and Oshkosh would be long hauls for just about everyone. Superior and Stevens Point don't have football, River Falls, Stout, and Eau Claire aren't super competitive in most sports. La Crosse is the only one that makes geographical sense.
            Stevens Point has football, not very good as of late, but they have also had a football team

Comment

Originally posted by Umdfan35 View Post

Stevens Point has football, not very good as of late, but they have also had a football team
              Not sure how I missed that, was convinced they didn't have one for whatever reason.

Comment

Hadn't seen this posted anywhere:

https://www.thegazette.com/sports/up...ping-7-sports/

Upper Iowa announced several weeks ago it is dropping seven sports from its athletics program:

Men's Bowling
                Women's Bowling
                Women's Tennis
                Shotgun
                Men's Cross Country
                Men's Indoor Track & Field
                Men's Outdoor Track & Field

The university noted in its release it is not “immune to the growing challenge nationwide to meet the financial resources needed to maintain competitive intercollegiate athletics.”

“The hard truth is that Upper Iowa cannot continue to support such a high number of intercollegiate programs given the reduction of tuition revenue that is being generated currently by fewer number of students who are attending colleges across the country,” Hartzell said.

UIU will continue to sponsor 16 sport programs: football, volleyball, men's and women's soccer, women's cross country, men's and women's basketball, men's wrestling, women's indoor track & field, women's outdoor track & field, softball, baseball, men's golf, women's golf, and the fully-endowed cheer and dance program. The school is also committed to launching women's wrestling in 2024.

Comment

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...t/70228457007/

Upper Iowa also closing regional satellite locations and laying off employees. The school has seen its enrollment drop by 36% since 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
                    https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...t/70228457007/

Upper Iowa also closing regional satellite locations and laying off employees. The school has seen its enrollment drop by 36% since 2016.
                    Ouch.... 36% that's terrible

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
                      Hadn't seen this posted anywhere:

https://www.thegazette.com/sports/up...ping-7-sports/

Upper Iowa announced several weeks ago it is dropping seven sports from its athletics program:

Men's Bowling
                      Women's Bowling
                      Women's Tennis
                      Shotgun
                      Men's Cross Country
                      Men's Indoor Track & Field
                      Men's Outdoor Track & Field

The university noted in its release it is not “immune to the growing challenge nationwide to meet the financial resources needed to maintain competitive intercollegiate athletics.”

“The hard truth is that Upper Iowa cannot continue to support such a high number of intercollegiate programs given the reduction of tuition revenue that is being generated currently by fewer number of students who are attending colleges across the country,” Hartzell said.

UIU will continue to sponsor 16 sport programs: football, volleyball, men's and women's soccer, women's cross country, men's and women's basketball, men's wrestling, women's indoor track & field, women's outdoor track & field, softball, baseball, men's golf, women's golf, and the fully-endowed cheer and dance program. The school is also committed to launching women's wrestling in 2024.
                      I wonder how the math really works out here. I can't believe that there is a lot of scholly money being saved by cutting those sports, so wouldn't the tuition revenue go down? Maybe even enough to offset the sport costs? Maybe transportation costs are a killer? I just wonder about that when I see a school cut a sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

I wonder how the math really works out here. I can't believe that there is a lot of scholly money being saved by cutting those sports, so wouldn't the tuition revenue go down? Maybe even enough to offset the sport costs? Maybe transportation costs are a killer? I just wonder about that when I see a school cut a sport.
                        I'd guess the bowling and shotgun just don't bring in the revenue needed to offset the costs. Not only travel, but scholarships, facility management/rental, etc. And I wonder if tennis was a casualty due to Title IX or vice versa with the men's CC/TF, especially with women's wrestling coming in.

Comment

Cockpower!

Comment

UIU needs students in their classrooms. Cutting those sports will further denigrate their small enrollment numbers.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X