Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minot State looking for a new HC

Just saw that Minot State has decided not to renew the contract of HC Mike Aldrich.
    Minot State University has made the decision to not renew the contract of head coach Mike Aldrich after six seasons with the school.

I had expected this immediately after the season; when it wasn’t announced the week following the season I thought they were going to stay with the same old HC and coordinators. Announcing a move this late; unless they fill this in a week, will be problematic for recruiting and retaining players. Program needs energy, modified recruiting plan/footprint, and an upgraded offensive system/mind. Offensive production has been extremely poor for many seasons. Tough to be competitive scoring 12 to 14 points a game. Unless you have a dominant defense; haven’t had that either. Will be interesting to see what direction the Minot AD looks for in the next head coach.

Comment

There was a time when Mike Aldrich was a sharp defensive coordinator. Hope he and his assistant's land on feet somewhere. MSU has a very nice stadium, there must be someone to lead the program to revélense.

Comment

I see so many on this board, including the official NSIC journalist, with opinions and names of potential Sioux Falls HC candidates. Anybody have thoughts, ideas on potential HC candidates for the Minot job?

Comment

Originally posted by FB Player Coach & Fan View Post
          I see so many on this board, including the official NSIC journalist, with opinions and names of potential Sioux Falls HC candidates. Anybody have thoughts, ideas on potential HC candidates for the Minot job?
          The guy that Augie just fired

Comment

Certainly available and had great deal of success at SF; maybe not up to the expectations of some fans and alumni. The only question, why was a guy with on the field success fired? The reasons or cause might be reason for concern. But those in the coaching profession know that there are two types of coaches: Those that Have been fired and those that will be fired.

Comment

This is the type of job where I think the best hope is to look for an up-and-comer from NAIA/D3...maybe a coordinator from D2 or position coach from FCS, but those can be harder pulls.

Comment

Will be an interesting hire.

Minot has a nice stadium, decent facilities, and lots of money. My understanding they are fully funded.

Certainly not a bad job. Minot is also a nice city and not small. I do get it is way north but there is a chance to win there.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

Minot has a nice stadium, decent facilities, and lots of money. My understanding they are fully funded.

Certainly not a bad job. Minot is also a nice city and not small. I do get it is way north but there is a chance to win there.
                  Not fully funded, low operating budget, Low pay for HC and staff, expensive place to live=coaching graveyard

Comment

Originally posted by oldyellaHer69 View Post
                    Not fully funded, low operating budget, Low pay for HC and staff, expensive place to live=coaching graveyard
                    i am not surpised if pay is low. I am suprised not fully funded

Comment

Originally posted by oldyellaHer69 View Post
                      They are in the 28 range in terms of scholarships. Pay is good to very good; know it pays more than The Sioux Falls position. Low end 90/95/ high end ( over paid after Hefner’s departure) 105. Don’t have any idea on budget. Cost of living is reasonable. The coaching graveyard might be true. Some facilities need to be updated and to get quality players to commit to Minot you will have to over pay/spend; which means you need more scholarship money. Tuition costs are very cheap- which would help on the trying to increase scholarship numbers.

it is not a great job by any means. Middle of the road D2 job, at best.
                      Last edited by FB Player Coach & Fan; 12-05-2022, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

Plenty of coaches that I speak with said, "very hard place to produce a winner", when this firing occurred.
                        1-Location (being really far up north and a lot of recruits don't see this as awesome..and the winters can be brutal) A bit of an outpost as well.
                        2-History of losing (pretty such since they entered the conference in 2012)

I don't get the impression that coordinators on top teams are seeking out this job. Maybe I'm wrong on that. But coaches talk..and while someone will take this gig..and it could be a very good coach, but they'll know they have some heavy lifting to do. James Schrenk (fired Augie OC) was in the running for this job with Aldrich got it, but they have changed over their AD since that time and I think a very fresh search will be done. While a younger coach looking for their first head coaching gig seems the most likely scenario here..we could see a veteran coach looking for another chance..to some extent that was Mike Aldrich.

I think the school is just a bit short of being fully funded..as I have that on good info. I'd guess future success would be viewed like Mary or maybe a Moorhead..a winning season is pretty favorable given the powers you are up against = the 7 teams we had in playoff contention this fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                          While a younger coach looking for their first head coaching gig seems the most likely scenario here..we could see a veteran coach looking for another chance..to some extent that was Mike Aldrich.
                          Good point on the vet idea...maybe that name from down south will resurface.

If Randy Hedberg was about a decade younger....

Comment

If BCU had a couple more wins, I thought about throwing Zac Cunha's name out there, but he's probably too green for the Red Beavers. LaDage is a possible, but I feel like they may want something completely different.

Comment

One thing that's certain, the new AD should have a number of connections that should allow them to cast a wide net. He's been at UMary, Wheeling Jesuit, St Xavier (NAIA), East Stroudsburg, IUP, Regis in the past decade. Also has history at both UMC and SMSU.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X