Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldyellaHer69 View Post

Going on two months without a head coach, GVSU hired a head coach in 7 days. The problem at Minot State is administrators, they can't be raising much money if this is the sense of urgency they hire with.
    Considering GV has a really really good thing going and didn't fire their coach..it made hiring from within pretty easy. Minot fired a coach and seem to be looking for a change in direction and new regime..so I wouldn't compare the two situations. However, just about every program that had an opening shortly after the season wrapped have found an outside replacement already..many of them a month ago. By taking this long the new coach/regime has pretty much lost much of a recruiting class (not many athletes are lining up to play for a squad without a head coach)..in a program that kinda cannot afford to lose further traction.

The two finalists both look capable for Minot..but are much different candidates. One has a long list of experience at various schools (along with ties to the option style offense) and the other has more regional ties as a sitting head coach in Montana (next door)..but not the depth of experience. I tend to think the more local ties might win-out in this case, but we really don't know who won the interview(s) and such either..which can often sway things in a close race. I spoke with the writer from the linked articles, Sean Williams (Minot Daily News), last week and he said both candidates represented themselves very well during their visit.

As in the recent past with new hires in the NSIC, I will reach out to the new head coach and conduct a zoom style interview with them in the coming weeks.

Comment

Going on two months without a head coach, GVSU hired a head coach in 7 days. The problem at Minot State is administrators, they can't be raising much money if this is the sense of urgency they hire with.
      Comparing Minot State and Grand Valley is like comparing Michigan and Umass.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Considering GV has a really really good thing going and didn't fire their coach..it made hiring from within pretty easy. Minot fired a coach and seem to be looking for a change in direction and new regime..so I wouldn't compare the two situations. However, just about every program that had an opening shortly after the season wrapped have found an outside replacement already..many of them a month ago. By taking this long the new coach/regime has pretty much lost much of a recruiting class (not many athletes are lining up to play for a squad without a head coach)..in a program that kinda cannot afford to lose further traction.

The two finalists both look capable for Minot..but are much different candidates. One has a long list of experience at various schools (along with ties to the option style offense) and the other has more regional ties as a sitting head coach in Montana (next door)..but not the depth of experience. I tend to think the more local ties might win-out in this case, but we really don't know who won the interview(s) and such either..which can often sway things in a close race. I spoke with the writer from the linked articles, Sean Williams (Minot Daily News), last week and he said both candidates represented themselves very well during their visit.

As in the recent past with new hires in the NSIC, I will reach out to the new head coach and conduct a zoom style interview with them in the coming weeks.
        The only hope for recruiting for the class of 2023 is grabbing JC and transfer portal guys in May. Any HS guys that haven't signed/committed yet from the region are probably NAIA or D3 players. Minot already has plenty of those on roster. They don't need any more. It will be interesting to see how successful the new staff is recruiting transfers, something that Aldrich never really attempted.

I would expect an announcement later today or tomorrow, but with Minot State's administration you never really know. You could do a 30 for 30 on how they've mismanaged the football program since they transitioned to D2.

Comment

Originally posted by Gridiron Bobby View Post

Comparing Minot State and Grand Valley is like comparing Michigan and Umass.
          I bet their comparable in their hiring timelines! Moral of the story is Minot States administration doesn't get it and are not committed to being successful at the NCAA D2 level.

Comment

Moral of the story is Minot States administration doesn't get it and are not committed to being successful at the NCAA D2 level.
            I would say this is half right—- they want to be successful and they are committed (maybe argue to what degree or level).
            There is a disconnect between self perception and where they are as a program and athletic department (reality). It is not a long resume or offensive genius that will instantly change the fortunes of this bottom dwelling football program—that is what many think.

My years as an AD led me to this belief: You need football people, with football experience that know and understand the reasons why Minot has struggled. You need this type of people on the committee or selection group making the hiring decisions. Hiring a football coach is NOT like hiring another staff member or teacher— the process to hire a HC should be different. When you have non football people making that decision or with input—- the result of that process may result in a very respectable coach and coach that looks good on paper. But a HC; that doesn’t fully know or understand the situation at Minot.. Until you know the challenges and missteps that have been made with this program and understand the region and where to recruit from and so much more, the facilities that must be improved and the scholarship situation—-it is one big perception and NOT reality of where Minot State is as a program.

(. Completely different topic): Didnt Mary try the triple option\spread option offense before Bagnell?

Comment

Originally posted by FB Player Coach & Fan View Post
              Hiring a football coach is NOT like hiring another staff member or teacher— the process to hire a HC should be different. When you have non football people making that decision or with input—- the result of that process may result in a very respectable coach and coach that looks good on paper.
              100%

It’s actually worse at the high school level.

Comment

Originally posted by FB Player Coach & Fan View Post

I would say this is half right—- they want to be successful and they are committed (maybe argue to what degree or level).
                There is a disconnect between self perception and where they are as a program and athletic department (reality). It is not a long resume or offensive genius that will instantly change the fortunes of this bottom dwelling football program—that is what many think.

My years as an AD led me to this belief: You need football people, with football experience that know and understand the reasons why Minot has struggled. You need this type of people on the committee or selection group making the hiring decisions. Hiring a football coach is NOT like hiring another staff member or teacher— the process to hire a HC should be different. When you have non football people making that decision or with input—- the result of that process may result in a very respectable coach and coach that looks good on paper. But a HC; that doesn’t fully know or understand the situation at Minot.. Until you know the challenges and missteps that have been made with this program and understand the region and where to recruit from and so much more, the facilities that must be improved and the scholarship situation—-it is one big perception and NOT reality of where Minot State is as a program.

(. Completely different topic): Didnt Mary try the triple option\spread option offense before Bagnell?
                Yes....it was a miserable failure. Coach Kotelnicki decided that the option QB in the upper midwest was a very under-recruited position and often the best football player on a squad..as many smaller schools run this type of offense. I can still recall him telling me his thoughts on this..circa 2014/2015. I was a bit surprised on the idea as I just wasn't sure they could the speed guys and such to really make it bloom. It didn't go well and he was fired after the 2017 campaign. To some extent Bagnell and company needed to retool the roster from that style of offense to the more pass happy attack that Bagnell prefers. The one thing that offense has going for it....teams seldom see it, heck..nobody in the NSIC runs it..so if you get good at it, that can be a thorn for opposing DC's without a lot of time to prepare their kids for assignment football.

Let's hope the Beavers find their man here sooner than later..as the finding assistants and onboarding process isn't immediate. Nothing today yet for news, FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Yes....it was a miserable failure. Coach Kotelnicki decided that the option QB in the upper midwest was a very under-recruited position and often the best football player on a squad..as many smaller schools run this type of offense. I can still recall him telling me his thoughts on this..circa 2014/2015. I was a bit surprised on the idea as I just wasn't sure they could the speed guys and such to really make it bloom. It didn't go well and he was fired after the 2017 campaign. To some extent Bagnell and company needed to retool the roster from that style of offense to the more pass happy attack that Bagnell prefers. The one thing that offense has going for it....teams seldom see it, heck..nobody in the NSIC runs it..so if you get good at it, that can be a thorn for opposing DC's without a lot of time to prepare their kids for assignment football.

Let's hope the Beavers find their man here sooner than later..as the finding assistants and onboarding process isn't immediate. Nothing today yet for news, FWIW.
                  Those were some very frustrating years, I also remember the AD at the team being against JUCO transfers. Made for a tough watch. I find it odd that Minot's current AD was interim AD at a few stops. Odds are he would have stuck around at one of those opportunities. This is his real first hire. My instincts tell me he flips the script and goes against the Rocky Mountain guy.

Comment

Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

Those were some very frustrating years, I also remember the AD at the team being against JUCO transfers. Made for a tough watch. I find it odd that Minot's current AD was interim AD at a few stops. Odds are he would have stuck around at one of those opportunities. This is his real first hire. My instincts tell me he flips the script and goes against the Rocky Mountain guy.
                    I agree with that. I think the AD goes with Shields. He will want to make a "big name" hire to put his stamp on the athletic department.
                    In my opinion it really doesn't matter what offense Minot runs. The scheme can't make up for physically inferior players- especially on the line of scrimmage.

If they do go option, I would assume the QB from last year will transfer. He is more of a pocket passer than an option guy. Hopefully something is announced today.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Rising View Post

I agree with that. I think the AD goes with Shields. He will want to make a "big name" hire to put his stamp on the athletic department.
                      In my opinion it really doesn't matter what offense Minot runs. The scheme can't make up for physically inferior players- especially on the line of scrimmage.

If they do go option, I would assume the QB from last year will transfer. He is more of a pocket passer than an option guy. Hopefully something is announced today.
                      Am sure it will be announced today.

If they are inferior upfront-which I agree with. One, I don’t believe poor offensive line play results in successful option football. Secondly, you don’t improve the OL quality at this stage of the recruiting cycle. Yes there are still JC guys available or portal players— but if they are still looking there has to be a reason why they are still looking for a home. Guessing current staff is not recruiting “option scheme” athletes. All of this means there are a couple years from even having a chance to be mildly competitive.
                      For those that would claim that the option levels the playing field against more talented opponents; you have to have a dynamic quarterback and game breaking speed at the wing/slot position. And the QB has to be able to throw ( playaction pass). Problem that most NSIC QB’s have is that they are usually one sided or limited— either athletic and ability to run and throws it fair or not great or guys that are pocket guys who can spin it but cant move very well. Finding that complete package QB ( has been done in the NSIC-but they are hard to come by) in Minot might take a while. And the OL horses need to be A&$ kickers- might take a while to get 8 to 10 of these guys on campus. MSU has been playing D2 football for 11 years and maybe they had 2 or 3 OL ( at most, being very generous ) that fit that description in that time period. All that to say…it’s a Looooong Road Ahead.

Comment

Minot hires Ian Shield
                        Minot State officially announced today that they have named Ian Shields as the next head coach for the Beaver's football program.

Comment

Here is the release from the school itself..
                          https://msubeavers.com/news/2023/1/2...all-coach.aspx

"It's a great day to be a part of Beaver Nation: I am excited to announce our next head football coach is Ian Shields," Forde said. "Ian was a very impressive candidate on paper, he really impressed the committee in his zoom interview, and when he came to campus you could feel his passion and desire to make Minot State University and the community of Minot home."

Comment

Something that should suit him well for the job is his time at Army. Seldom does Army have the biggest or fastest guys, and that's the type of thing a recruiting disadvantage such as Minot can lead to.

Comment

Quick update..

Spoke to Coach Shields on Friday as he was making his drive from Vegas to Casper WY..and then the next day from Casper to Minot. By the time he would've arrived in Minot the temp there would've been about -10. I'm sure the arctic blast was a "what is this?" moment for Coach..haha.

He's going to be onboarding this week..while also trying to manage the NLI deal on Wednesday and such. They were unsure on dates for any such presser there at the school..but I'm guessing there will be one end of the week or maybe next....total guess there.

Coach Shields and I will do a Zoom style interview sometime in the next 2 weeks....as his schedule allows.

Just a quick update for NSIC peeps here and Minot folks.

Comment

The guy who was the DC and interim HC just landed at Western New Mexico

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X