X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Otis Day View Post

Just my first year before he left to SIU. My stronger connection is with Grubb who was my primary recruiter, OL coach for a year, and OC until graduation and he left to EMU to join DeBoer.
    I figured that timeline matched up about like that. That's kinda cool.

Leave a comment:

• Otis Day
    replied
    Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    Was he there when you were there?
    Just my first year before he left to SIU. My stronger connection is with Grubb who was my primary recruiter, OL coach for a year, and OC until graduation and he left to EMU to join DeBoer.

Leave a comment:

• UMary1
    replied
    Zimmer capturing perfectly why all us Coo alums care so damn much about the Washington Huskies...

Purple pride: USF Cougar alums rooting for Kalen DeBoer's Washington Huskies in national championship game

https://www.siouxfallslive.com/sport...mpionship-game
    That is a great experience to be part of. A lot of publications on social media are asking how it took this long for Deboer to get a P5 Head coaching gig. Too many AD's rely on a mold that ultimately doesn't get results bc guys get a foot in the door if they played D1, Pro or had a prominent head coach take them under their wing. To see Grubb, Deboer and all the other guys with Sioux Falls ties gain recognition by grinding through the ranks is a testament to their roots and I hope they get the win on Monday. I will be rooting for them.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Zimmer capturing perfectly why all us Coo alums care so damn much about the Washington Huskies...

Purple pride: USF Cougar alums rooting for Kalen DeBoer's Washington Huskies in national championship game

I noticed people wearing Huskies gear at my last USF game this year - I thought it was awesome. And the neat thing is, that pride seems to go both ways.

Also, I first heard of DeBoer when he was at Fresno because I had a coworker living in Milbank at the time - and she told me a visible contingent of the townsfolk were hanging FSU flags on their porch and such. That support is cool too.

Was he there when you were there?

Leave a comment:

• Otis Day
    replied

It's really kind of weird seeing these superstar athletes saying 'Winners win because that's what winners do'," says former Cougar Trey Erickson. "It's posted on their wall at Washington — that was Bob Young's slogan. You see things like that and it kind of makes you feel like a part of it."

One of the reasons USF players feel such a personal connection to the Huskies and their former coaches' success is the validation it brings them. When the Cougars were dominating the NAIA level, beating overmatched GPAC teams by 60 and 70 points at a time, there were plenty of football fans in the region who were not impressed. Respect could sometimes be tough to come by. Cougar players suspected they were better than they got credit for, but it was hard to know. Many of them were not recruited much, if at all, out of high school. And they didn't know they were getting coaching other NAIA teams were not. Seeing DeBoer take the FBS level by storm makes it pretty clear: If you were good enough to play for Kalen DeBoer, you were good. Period.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

I assume he can....as he played sparingly last night. #15.
    Neat! I wasn't able to watch. Wishing him well.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Witwicki
    replied
    Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    Can/will Durfee play in the championship game?
    I assume he can....as he played sparingly last night. #15.

Leave a comment:

• Otis Day
    replied
    Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
    I hear some former USF coaches* are playing for an FBS national championship next week

:)
    Winners win!

And at least next week's game kick's off at 6:30pm instead of nearly 8pm.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Can/will Durfee play in the championship game?

Leave a comment:

• wscsuperfan
    replied
    I hear some former USF coach is playing for an FBS national championship next week

:)

Leave a comment:

• Runnin' Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Ironlinks View Post
    Tundra,
    When Nebraska fired Pelini I posted on Nebraska boards "go get Kalen DeBoer" most people had never heard of him and the rest said "NAIA aint the same as D1" My response" Winners Win
    Bingo.

When Jeff Choate took the Montana State job, there was a lot of the same talk as he and his staff had significant NAIA experience. That turned out well.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Witwicki
    replied
    Per recent twitter activity that came across my feed..and from my Pod-partner Tom Frederick..here are some recent additions to the Coo..transfers

https://twitter.com/brockmurtaugh1
    6'3 205lb Safety - was a redshirt at Colgate. From Omaha burbs.

https://twitter.com/ProchniakBryer
    MSU Mankato player who went in the portal. 6'0 200lb RB who was a track guy in Iowa HS, 100m

Leave a comment:

• Ironlinks
    replied
    Tundra,
    When Nebraska fired Pelini I posted on Nebraska boards "go get Kalen DeBoer" most people had never heard of him and the rest said "NAIA aint the same as D1" My response" Winners Win

Leave a comment:

• Tundra_Man
    replied
    Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    Kalen Deboer named AP coach of year. USF coaching tree is incredible.

Washington's Kalen DeBoer named AP Coach of the Year - ESPN
    A couple of weeks ago I watched an interview with Kurtiss Riggs. He strongly indicated next season he would likely be joining DeBoer's coaching staff out in Washington. If that happens it would bring the total count to four former USF coaches currently with the Huskies.

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied
    Kalen Deboer named AP coach of year. USF coaching tree is incredible.

Washington's Kalen DeBoer named AP Coach of the Year - ESPN

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X