Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    Augustana appears to have wrapped up their class of 2023 two weeks ago. Went toe to toe against MSU, UMD, BSU and USF, winning some losing some. Two top recruits out of AZ. an all-state WR and QB. Some big lineman from SD, WI and MN.
    Just because they're big doesn't mean they can play. Last year's o-line recruits were big, I think they averaged 6'5" and 305 lbs, but my understanding is only one of them is ready to compete. One left at semester, one was out all year with a knee and the other two just struggled! Hopefully these kids have a great spring and summer and start to develop! Cause we all know our o-line struggled at times last year!!

This year's recruits are a different group of kids and hopefully they all develop and are ready to compete soon! Everybody knows you need to compete in practice to have a great team!!
    Last edited by AU guy; 01-31-2023, 07:40 AM.

Comment

While the recruiting thing is a fun deal to follow with your own team, keep in mind folks that these guys aren't going to be impact guys at NSIC programs for the 2023 season unless they are really really a standout guy and physically ready-made come this Summer. (very uncommon) These are the dudes of the future = 2024, 2025, etc.

The transfers are probably more directly relevant for the upcoming season as they are often plug-n-play spot replacements for immediate roster needs. It feels like a lot of NSIC schools have really hit the HS circuit and are now seeing the guys in the portal who had FCS aspirations that haven't landed there....those guys are coming down to earth a bit and I think you'll see more of them landing in the NSIC in the coming months..maybe even after Spring Ball, once teams see what they have (in live action) at then you'll see some early Summer additions to rosters from the portal.

In other words....tmrw is kinda just the start of the process for official pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
        While the recruiting thing is a fun deal to follow with your own team, keep in mind folks that these guys aren't going to be impact guys at NSIC programs for the 2023 season unless they are really really a standout guy and physically ready-made come this Summer. (very uncommon) These are the dudes of the future = 2024, 2025, etc.

The transfers are probably more directly relevant for the upcoming season as they are often plug-n-play spot replacements for immediate roster needs. It feels like a lot of NSIC schools have really hit the HS circuit and are now seeing the guys in the portal who had FCS aspirations that haven't landed there....those guys are coming down to earth a bit and I think you'll see more of them landing in the NSIC in the coming months..maybe even after Spring Ball, once teams see what they have (in live action) at then you'll see some early Summer additions to rosters from the portal.

In other words....tmrw is kinda just the start of the process for official pickups.
        Absolutely, tomorrow will have much more impact on 2025 and 2026. However, NSU did have 2 true freshman start on the OL in 2022. The transfer market will be more impactful for 2023. The one thing that does seem to be happening a little bit at D2 (much more so at D1) is that you may have some true freshman that would have historically redshirted, but are being given some limited game time I believe in the hopes of keeping them around and not transferring out. They may not be quite ready, but will be impact players in the near future so coaches may feel the need to play them at least a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

I think this is accurate. The Mustangs have over 30 who are signing tomorrow, but most of these are guys who only had offers from D3s. The biggest impact guy we added will probably be Mike Gatz, the JUCO/WIU transfer lineman who picked SMSU over a MSU offer and a number of FCS offers.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post

Absolutely, tomorrow will have much more impact on 2025 and 2026. However, NSU did have 2 true freshman start on the OL in 2022. The transfer market will be more impactful for 2023. The one thing that does seem to be happening a little bit at D2 (much more so at D1) is that you may have some true freshman that would have historically redshirted, but are being given some limited game time I believe in the hopes of keeping them around and not transferring out. They may not be quite ready, but will be impact players in the near future so coaches may feel the need to play them at least a little.
            Redshirt rule has officially changed for 2023. I don't remember 100%, but I believe the number is 3 games a freshman can play but still be redshirting.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Redshirt rule has officially changed for 2023. I don't remember 100%, but I believe the number is 3 games a freshman can play but still be redshirting.
              You mean for D1 right?

Comment

Originally posted by WPHB View Post

You mean for D1 right?

Comment

Wow. Didn't even know that was being considered. Hope that helps with recruiting, and more importantly retaining, High School kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                    Here I was still waiting to see if that was going to pass, and missed it! Guessing at the D2 level this is mostly going to be a home game situation.

Comment

It's a good day to be a Viking y'all! https://goaugie.com/signingday/football/football/17/

Comment

Bemidji State Signing Day Page:

https://bsubeavers.com/news/2023/2/1...XEh35ZsK9Qbe7M
                        Millsy

Comment

USF is having their annual signing day reception tonight. My wife and I are planning to attend. It will be cool to meet the new coaching staff and hear about the new recruiting class. At the same time, it will be a bummer for the first time not to have Bob Young there.

Comment

Guys....continue to post recruiting links here for others to see, if you would. With 13 teams it's a bit of a mess....but this spot is ideal for checking further. Thanks.

Comment

https://goumary.com/news/2023/2/1/ma...entral-23.aspx

Some solid gets for UMary out of MN , AZ and NV, really like Matty Horne. He was at Northern Arizona and then went Juco. Hoping he can come in and contribute to the secondary immediately.

Comment

SMSU

https://smsumustangs.com/signingday/...l/football/23/

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X