Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would love to see a Concordia/MSUM matchup. It would be cool if they signed a two year home-and-home deal or something. That would almost be worth the drive up.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Given how few D2 openings there are nationally on weeks after the first few, I could see schools looking at D3, NAIA, or maybe even FCS for games..or if things are too difficult, just take their bye week. The Concordia (D3) in Moorhead vs MSUM would make so much sense..it's too bad they couldn't buy out their opponent or something..as that contest would be the biggest on the schedule for both squads.

There might be some games like this for squads that don't involve a D2 opponent..if a rivalry makes sense..or maybe even a $$ game.
      The problem with this line of thinking is that the other divisions (FCS, NAIA, D3, etc) also have limited openings after the first few weeks because they have conferences that also schedule in the later part of the year as well.

Of course, by expanding the criteria from D2 to other division it does open up more opportunities, but they are still limited, and even more so when you limit the locale as well.

The key part of Laqua’s statement was the fact the NSIC is coming to the game so late to try to schedule games, especially late in the season.
      Last edited by texcap; 12-27-2022, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

With how last-second it is, do you think more teams will be willing to bite the bullet this year and schedule D3/NAIA?
        I'd love to see Mary/Dickinson St or Minot/Dickinson St just to see how things compare all these years later. Would they want the risk of losing to an NAIA team, though, is the question.

Comment

NAIA champs Northwestern of Iowa will be playing at Drake this fall. They would have been an interesting opponent.

Drake adds Northwestern (IA) to 2023 football schedule (fbschedules.com)

Comment

I think MI Tech and Norther MI would be good additions, they like to recruit many of the same players from WI that the NSIC recruits, but they also need GLIAC ties for lower MI recruiting. MI Tech was an NIC member for many yrs. They would be close to Duluth and Bemidji than ND or IA teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Umdfan35 View Post
              I think MI Tech and Norther MI would be good additions, they like to recruit many of the same players from WI that the NSIC recruits, but they also need GLIAC ties for lower MI recruiting. MI Tech was an NIC member for many yrs. They would be close to Duluth and Bemidji than ND or IA teams.
              Good teams to schedule..or good teams to add to the NSIC?

Comment

Good teams to schedule..or good teams to add to the NSIC?
                would love to see both of them added to the conference, but doubt they would accept, as they need to play some teams in lower MI for recruiting, the GLIAC only has 8 teams so they are always looking for games. tech played UST and UW Oshkosh, NMU also has played Oshkosh the last couple of seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Umdfan35 View Post

would love to see both of them added to the conference, but doubt they would accept, as they need to play some teams in lower MI for recruiting, the GLIAC only has 8 teams so they are always looking for games. tech played UST and UW Oshkosh, NMU also has played Oshkosh the last couple of seasons.
                  Not sure the rest of the NSIC would be thrilled about that..given their location = outside the footprint of the league itself. I think UMD and BSU would like that, but I'm unsure about the others.

Comment

Hopefully MSU uses it's brand to find a decent OOC opponent. Someone from the GLIAC/LSC or an FCS buy game

Comment

I believe WSC will be playing Missouri S&T. There this fall and in Wayne in '24

Comment

A think this quote from the article describes the thoughts of many coaches around the league..

“We need to find an 11th game,” Laqua said. “The difficulty would be that schedules may have already been set for a portion of time and now we’re just finding out that we need one. I feel a little bit like we’re late to the party trying to find a game.”

The NSIC is yet to set its 2024 football schedule.

“You’re trying to find something that doesn’t put you on a bus for 12 hours,” Laqua added. “You’re trying to find the right setup. I think for us any option is on the table, any level, the right fit and the right match for everybody.”

Given how few D2 openings there are nationally on weeks after the first few, I could see schools looking at D3, NAIA, or maybe even FCS for games..or if things are too difficult, just take their bye week. The Concordia (D3) in Moorhead vs MSUM would make so much sense..it's too bad they couldn't buy out their opponent or something..as that contest would be the biggest on the schedule for both squads.

There might be some games like this for squads that don't involve a D2 opponent..if a rivalry makes sense..or maybe even a $$ game.
                        I always wished Bethany Lutheran started a football program. Would be fun to have an in-town rival. I suppose there's always Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter that could act as a de facto rival

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

I always wished Bethany Lutheran started a football program. Would be fun to have an in-town rival. I suppose there's always Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter that could act as a de facto rival
                          I talked to someone involved with Bethany. They have a new soccer field and I was told that any thought of starting football was dead. I never did figure out why when they were a junior college that they had soccer instead of football.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

I talked to someone involved with Bethany. They have a new soccer field and I was told that any thought of starting football was dead. I never did figure out why when they were a junior college that they had soccer instead of football.
                            You'd think the D3 model could be quite lucrative for them, especially being such a small college. I'm sure it takes a lot of money to actually start one though, so I get it.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

You'd think the D3 model could be quite lucrative for them, especially being such a small college. I'm sure it takes a lot of money to actually start one though, so I get it.
                              That and Title IX. As I said before, I don't know why they didn't have football when they were a junior college. Soccer wasn't that popular in the 1970s and I can't imagine how far they would have to go to schedule JC games. At that time, Anoka-Ramsey, Austin, Inver Hills, Lakewood, Normandale, North Hennepin, Rochester, Willmar, Waseca, and Worthington were the Southern Division of the Minnesota Junior College Conference. Bethany would have had easy travel for that.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

That and Title IX. As I said before, I don't know why they didn't have football when they were a junior college. Soccer wasn't that popular in the 1970s and I can't imagine how far they would have to go to schedule JC games. At that time, Anoka-Ramsey, Austin, Inver Hills, Lakewood, Normandale, North Hennepin, Rochester, Willmar, Waseca, and Worthington were the Southern Division of the Minnesota Junior College Conference. Bethany would have had easy travel for that.
                                Ahh, forgot about that. Yeah - that's a bummer, and strange. It's too bad so many JUCOs in MN dropped the sport. Only a handful left now.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X