Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

You'd think the D3 model could be quite lucrative for them, especially being such a small college. I'm sure it takes a lot of money to actually start one though, so I get it.
    When I was at Presentation they added football with HC and staff. First year they added like 54 football players and enrollment was up 45 (something like that).

Pretty expensive way to up enrollment unless it can lead to a big following and/or donors via businesses or privately.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

When I was at Presentation they added football with HC and staff. First year they added like 54 football players and enrollment was up 45 (something like that).

Pretty expensive way to up enrollment unless it can lead to a big following and/or donors via businesses or privately.
      That was around the same time they went from D3 back to NAIA. Not sure if the decisions were related or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

That was around the same time they went from D3 back to NAIA. Not sure if the decisions were related or not.
        NAIA move came a few years after, they were not related.

Comment

Ahh, forgot about that. Yeah - that's a bummer, and strange. It's too bad so many JUCOs in MN dropped the sport. Only a handful left now.
          Yes, down to 7 and that is counting NDSCS in Wahpeton.

Comment

It depends. I'm not sure of the rules in NAIA, but for D3, there is no roster limit and no athletic scholarships. Many D3 schools are expensive private ones, so those factors combined can make it quite lucrative for some schools to add the sport. There was an article about how D3 was expanding a few years back, I'll have to see if I can find it. CSS was mentioned as one of the schools in the D3 boom at the time for a local connection.

SJU used to be known for their large roster - there is definitely a market out there of students that would happily wear a jersey and stand on a sideline. And given their tuition costs, I can imagine it was pretty nice for them on that end.

That being said, it still costs a lot of run a football program regardless of division - so it's not going to be a for every school to pursue.

Comment

It depends. I'm not sure of the rules in NAIA, but for D3, there is no roster limit and no athletic scholarships. Many D3 schools are expensive private ones, so those factors combined can make it quite lucrative for some schools to add the sport. There was an article about how D3 was expanding a few years back, I'll have to see if I can find it. CSS was mentioned as one of the schools in the D3 boom at the time for a local connection.

SJU used to be known for their large roster - there is definitely a market out there of students that would happily wear a jersey and stand on a sideline. And given their tuition costs, I can imagine it was pretty nice for them on that end.

That being said, it still costs a lot of run a football program regardless of division - so it's not going to be a for every school to pursue.

Thanks for adding to the second part of my post, haha

Comment

NAIA is 24 scholarships. I don't think there's a roster limit either..but could be mistaken on that one. Often times the football program really supplements the school student enrollment as they are often smallish in size. D2 has plenty of that also.

Comment

Thanks for adding to the second part of my post, haha
                  It's what I'm here for! Haha

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

NAIA is 24 scholarships. I don't think there's a roster limit either..but could be mistaken on that one. Often times the football program really supplements the school student enrollment as they are often smallish in size. D2 has plenty of that also.
                    Definitely. I think SMSU is one that benefits from having football, enrollment wise.

Comment

Not sure why Kelly Loft hasn't gotten us a game scheduled yet for our open week. He must be on vacation

Comment

Looking at the open dates on the D2 main page...I'm not sure why MSU hasn't gotten ahold of Saginaw Valley State and scheduled a nice OOC and OOR game!

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
                          Looking at the open dates on the D2 main page...I'm not sure why MSU hasn't gotten ahold of Saginaw Valley State and scheduled a nice OOC and OOR game!
                          That would be fun.

Comment

With all these open dates, I've got to believe that they'll be at least one GLIAC matchup coming. What I don't get is why it's taking so long to announce one.

Comment

With a week 9 opening for the Coo, I guess I'll enjoy the bye week. Most teams across any division are going to be in the heart of conference play. I know it was 'random' but feels like a missed opportunity for a long awaited OOC game.
                              4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                              2016 NSIC Champions
                              🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Originally posted by Otis Day View Post
                                With a week 9 opening for the Coo, I guess I'll enjoy the bye week. Most teams across any division are going to be in the heart of conference play. I know it was 'random' but feels like a missed opportunity for a long awaited OOC game.
                                Maybe Vandy has a opening- or is that in Week 11 for SEC teams? Week 9 is a tough week to find anyone.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X