Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Aren't Minnesota and Michigan considered "neighboring states" per NCAA regionalization requirements? Mankato vs. Saginaw would actually be in-region (unless things have changed in recent years).
    https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/cha...Principles.pdf

Additional Principles:
    #3• Institutions located in Minnesota and Michigan may compete against each other and be considered as contiguous states (those contests count as in-region).

MI and MN actually are contiguous states but the only way to cross the state line is by boat.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post

Just off the easternmost point in Minnesota- Isle Royale. And yes, I'd love to see a matchup like that.

Eastern Most Point Of Minnesota - Google Maps
      From the NCAA Regionalization PDF:

Institutions located in Minnesota and Michigan may compete against each other and be considered as contiguous states (those contests count as in-region).
      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• The "in-region" designation is pretty close to meaningless in football (as it should be, considering how arbitrary the rules are).

Comment

• Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

Would have been much better off not adding football. Feel bad for the place on the academic side of things though.
          PC was open 44 years without athletics, 28 years with athletics and 13-14 years with football...72 years.

I feel awful for the sisters because most of this got out of line of their mission. Hopefully something can be made out of the things left behind. It won't happen but would be really cool for Roncalli to move out that way. They'd have dorms for if they wanted to take in kids from out of town. I don't think it'd ever get big enough for that but still the same amount of space as they have, they are already tied into the Presentation Sisters/Avera and could sell all that old land for housing development.

Comment

PC was open 44 years without athletics, 28 years with athletics and 13-14 years with football...72 years.

I feel awful for the sisters because most of this got out of line of their mission. Hopefully something can be made out of the things left behind. It won't happen but would be really cool for Roncalli to move out that way. They'd have dorms for if they wanted to take in kids from out of town. I don't think it'd ever get big enough for that but still the same amount of space as they have, they are already tied into the Presentation Sisters/Avera and could sell all that old land for housing development.
            Sad to see it close.

I know the North Star will have to look for another team or two or look at some merger. 7 conference members is not really ideal. 10 would be better,

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

Sad to see it close.

I know the North Star will have to look for another team or two or look at some merger. 7 conference members is not really ideal. 10 would be better,
              Call the UMAC and merge the two, just have to decide between NAIA or D3, minor details, haha

Comment

Call the UMAC and merge the two, just have to decide between NAIA or D3, minor details, haha
                I feel like D3/NAIA would be less likely to create a megaconference like the NSIC has done. Some of the road trips a merger would create would almost rival Minot to Fayette.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                  *cough* Crookston *cough*

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

I feel like D3/NAIA would be less likely to create a megaconference like the NSIC has done. Some of the road trips a merger would create would almost rival Minot to Fayette.

It won't happen due to the NAIA/D3 divide but the UMAC is literally in the middle of the NorthStar. Any long drives are already occurring. A lot of these schools played each other in the past anyways. Each have seven football members. Competition-wise, overall, there isn't much difference except for a team or individual here and there.

The amount of people that think every conference is just going to be some neat little eight team league with everyone within two hours of eachother always makes me giggle. It's the upper Midwest...we are spread out and people have to drive. From HS through college and into worklife, it just is what it is.

Comment

It won't happen due to the NAIA/D3 divide but the UMAC is literally in the middle of the NorthStar. Any long drives are already occurring. A lot of these schools played each other in the past anyways. Each have seven football members. Competition-wise, overall, there isn't much difference except for a team or individual here and there.

The amount of people that think every conference is just going to be some neat little eight team league with everyone within two hours of eachother always makes me giggle. It's the upper Midwest...we are spread out and people have to drive. From HS through college and into worklife, it just is what it is.
                      What UMAC program is out by Dickinson? Fairly certain the nearest current UMAC school from there is Morris, and that's a 6-hour drive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

What UMAC program is out by Dickinson? Fairly certain the nearest current UMAC school from there is Morris, and that's a 6-hour drive.
                        Outliers will always have issues. But what im saying is they already travel out to La Crosse and down to Iowa and Nebraska. Combining would give each conference some stabilization of some sort instead of both being on the fringe. Big enough conference means you can make that long drive less frequently.

Dickinson other option is the Frontier Conference (which theyve done before) Either way, they are driving a long ways.

Side note, Montana State University - Northern is identical in colors and logo to Northern State University.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                          The "in-region" designation is pretty close to meaningless in football (as it should be, considering how arbitrary the rules are).
                          Preach.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Oof... Guess NSU will be looking for another opponent. ;)

Kinda surprised they operated as long as they did. Schools like that are dropping like flies over the last few years.
                            So where does that nice dome practice facility they have go? Another one for Northern? Big opportunity to grow with the land or not?

Comment

• Originally posted by tman28 View Post

So where does that nice dome practice facility they have go? Another one for Northern? Big opportunity to grow with the land or not?
                              Not sure, though I was thinking about that. Northern's campus is pretty tight as it is, might make a nice expansion for them - though I'm sure the money and logistical issues might prevent them from doing so. Operating two-full residential campuses in the same town might cause them some issues.

Will be interested to see what happens to the buildings. Might make for a nice community college as I don't believe there is one in that corner of the state.

Comment

• Originally posted by tman28 View Post

There is still room near the football stadium which I've been told will be an indoor practice facility, but later was told baseball stadium, so who knows. Along with that, I have bee. Told in the past that the NSU foundation owns a lot of property around campus and just rents it out. This allows for a revenue stream until more expansion is needed.

I think the next hope for room is if Aberdeen builds a new elementary towards the new high school ever, then the one right next to campus would come done and Northern would buy the lot. Campus has become fairly good size now but is land locked for the mean time. I don't see any way or reason Northern would want or need any of the property up from PC. If they had plans of outdoor track and baseball, then maybe I could see some of the land but that doesn't seem logical at this time.

someone will convert both dorms into apartments, no idea about the bubble and turf. I very much think they should look into a two year school but that also seems unlikely.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X