Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

This could be its own thread. Ive had enough arguments with Bison folks about it. Just because your team cam compete with half the Big 12 or half the Big Ten or whatever...doesn't mean that conference would have any interest in you.
    IMO, NDSU would never be invited into the Big Ten regardless of how good football the is. Their academics are nowhere near on par with the rest of the conference, nor are they a member of the AAU. Nebraska is an unusual case because the AAU kicked them out after they joined the Big 10 for not having a medical school, but I heard they would not have been let in if that happened beforehand. Same issue Iowa State is having, though they withdrew voluntarily.

It's weird some Bison fans think it's a possibility - but to each their own. (Just adding on to your post, not saying you think they will join the B1G)

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

IMO, NDSU would never be invited into the Big Ten regardless of how good football the is. Their academics are nowhere near on par with the rest of the conference, nor are they a member of the AAU. Nebraska is an unusual case because the AAU kicked them out after they joined the Big 10 for not having a medical school, but I heard they would not have been let in if that happened beforehand. Same issue Iowa State is having, though they withdrew voluntarily.

It's weird some Bison fans think it's a possibility - but to each their own. (Just adding on to your post, not saying you think they will join the B1G)
      I absolutely do not think they will, haha.

And it's more than some. Idk I'd their radio guy that was on late afternoons is still around or not but he was always pushing that agenda as well about how the Big Ten would be lucky to have them and how they are more valuable than Rutgers and so on. Very nerdy dude with pipes that could break shatter mirrors. Tried to relate most stuff to D and D or Star Wars, if I remember correctly. Lol

Comment

big10 is looking for large tv markets to add more $ that the reason usc and ucla were invited to join. the bison is a tiny market

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
          big10 is looking for large tv markets to add more $ that the reason usc and ucla were invited to join. the bison is a tiny market
          The B1G wants the biggest media markets that are home to large populations of B1G alumni.

Comment

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

The B1G wants the biggest media markets that are home to large populations of B1G alumni.
            I would think that the BIG, if and when they expand again, would be better off taking ASU than UA because of hockey and a bigger market. UA has academics and basketball going for it. I hear about Cal but I don't think people really care about sports in Berkely. That whole West Coast thing has a lot of options. Just how bloated does the BIG want to get?

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

I would think that the BIG, if and when they expand again, would be better off taking ASU than UA because of hockey and a bigger market. UA has academics and basketball going for it. I hear about Cal but I don't think people really care about sports in Berkely. That whole West Coast thing has a lot of options. Just how bloated does the BIG want to get?
              I've grown weary of big-time college athletics as it's becoming a two conference money race for Television and big NIL payouts I'ts looking more like a minor league system for the NBA and NFL. Go TCU. That's why I'm a proud D2 fan.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

I would think that the BIG, if and when they expand again, would be better off taking ASU than UA because of hockey and a bigger market. UA has academics and basketball going for it. I hear about Cal but I don't think people really care about sports in Berkely. That whole West Coast thing has a lot of options.
                I don't think ASU (with or without hockey) is a B1G target. The school presidents won't want to dilute the academic affiliation. It's tough enough when Rutgers faculty thinks RU belongs with Princeton, Lehigh, and Lafayette.

From what I've read, the Bay Area is rich in B1G alumni- not to mention California sends a lot of kids to college out of state. Stanford fits the B1G profile. If they go, so will Cal.

Just how bloated does the BIG want to get?
                Depends on the $$$$.

Comment

I've grown weary of big-time college athletics as it's becoming a two conference money race for Television and big NIL payouts I'ts looking more like a minor league system for the NBA and NFL. Go TCU. That's why I'm a proud D2 fan.
                  NCAA football and men's basketball has always been the top minor league system for the NFL and NBA.

Comment

That definitely plays into it, like they probably wouldn't take AAU members Tulane or Rice (hypothetically), but they also wouldn't admit half of the Big 12, or SEC.

That AAU affiliation is the real key, with Nebraska being grandfathered in.

Comment

I absolutely do not think they will, haha.

And it's more than some. Idk I'd their radio guy that was on late afternoons is still around or not but he was always pushing that agenda as well about how the Big Ten would be lucky to have them and how they are more valuable than Rutgers and so on. Very nerdy dude with pipes that could break shatter mirrors. Tried to relate most stuff to D and D or Star Wars, if I remember correctly. Lol
                      Ha, wow. The arrogance of the bigger Dakota school fanbases never ceases to amaze me.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Ha, wow. The arrogance of the bigger Dakota school fanbases never ceases to amaze me.

My tolerance test over the years has become that I simply say "NCC" and if they don't know what that means I just quit listening, lol

My last detour on this thread but man is that Jackrabbit mens team underachieving. I don't even have a comparison for how bad this year has gone for the expectations that were there.

Anyways, back to talking about Jamestown join the NSIC or whatever we were discussing.

Comment

My tolerance test over the years has become that I simply say "NCC" and if they don't know what that means I just quit listening, lol

My last detour on this thread but man is that Jackrabbit mens team underachieving. I don't even have a comparison for how bad this year has gone for the expectations that were there.

Anyways, back to talking about Jamestown join the NSIC or whatever we were discussing.
                          It's funny being an MSU guy, but most Jacks fans I run into these days have no idea who the Mavs are - even alumni who went there during the NCC days. Heck, many don't know who Tucker Kraft is...

I digress. As for SDSU basketball, I was excited to watch them last year and then they biffed it in the tourney against some team I can't be bothered to remember - so I'm done with the Summit League. The NSIC is all I really need.

Anyway, Jamestown!

Comment

I'm hoping Augustana moves up

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                              And I 100% understand why they have held that stance.

But look at that schedule again...two of those schools are preparing to play for the FCS Championship. Another was in the FCS playoffs. A few others are decent FCS programs.

Division II is no longer what it was in 2000. The NSIC is not what the NCC used to be. Yes, Mankato is still here. Other programs are good too. But Morningside would absolutely not drop back down to that degree if they moved back to Division II. Maybe they don't compete for championships every year, but they could still have a solid program here.
                              I disagree. People think the NCC was the greatest thing ever, the NSIC has stepped up and filled that void quite well with very good football.

The reality is most of the changes are the NCC school moving to FCS so many of those old D2 kids are not getting a shot at FCS that they didn't get then due to scholarships programs etc. However, the population shifts have allowed some of those NSIC schools to get kids from elsewhere to fill the void of local kids playing higher levels.

And the NSIC is ONE MILLION times better in volleyball than the NCC ever dreamed of being.

AND even before the NCC blew up, the NSIC was as good in Hoops - go back and look at those regionals.

That is not to slight the OLD NCC which has great rivals and great D2 athletics. it's like comparing apples and oranges often though. A lot has changed in the World and America as it goes to sports since the 1970s and 80s.
                              Last edited by MrMustang; 01-06-2023, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                                And I 100% understand why they have held that stance.

But look at that schedule again...two of those schools are preparing to play for the FCS Championship. Another was in the FCS playoffs. A few others are decent FCS programs.

Division II is no longer what it was in 2000. The NSIC is not what the NCC used to be. Yes, Mankato is still here. Other programs are good too. But Morningside would absolutely not drop back down to that degree if they moved back to Division II. Maybe they don't compete for championships every year, but they could still have a solid program here.
                                I don't think Morningside is interested. Why ruin a good thing they have now?

and much of why Morningside was not good was tradition and facilites. There is a reason NDSU and SDSU moved up - they were ready and had outgrown D2.

To their credit UND and USD then followed and upgraded their game and especially facilites.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X