Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

I disagree. People think the NCC was the greatest thing ever, the NSIC has stepped up and filled that void quite well with very good football.

The reality is most of the changes are the NCC school moving to FCS so many of those old D2 kids are not getting a shot at FCS that they didn't get then due to scholarships programs etc. However, the population shifts have allowed some of those NSIC schools to get kids from elsewhere to fill the void of local kids playing higher levels.

Andteh NSIC is i MILLION times better in volleyball than the NCC ever dreamed of being.

AND even before the NCC blew up, the NSIC was as good in Hoops - go back and look at those regionals.

That is not to slight the OLD NCC which has great rivals and great D2 athletics. it's like comparing apples and oranges often though. A lot has changed in the World and America as it goes to sports since the 1970s and 80s.
    I mean we have had great football playoff runs in the NSIC

Comment

I disagree. People think the NCC was the greatest thing ever, the NSIC has stepped up and filled that void quite well with very good football.

The reality is most of the changes are the NCC school moving to FCS so many of those old D2 kids are not getting a shot at FCS that they didn't get then due to scholarships programs etc. However, the population shifts have allowed some of those NSIC schools to get kids from elsewhere to fill the void of local kids playing higher levels.

And the NSIC is ONE MILLION times better in volleyball than the NCC ever dreamed of being.

AND even before the NCC blew up, the NSIC was as good in Hoops - go back and look at those regionals.

That is not to slight the OLD NCC which has great rivals and great D2 athletics. it's like comparing apples and oranges often though. A lot has changed in the World and America as it goes to sports since the 1970s and 80s.
      The NSIC is pretty good in football, but the NCC was dominant. And much of the current NSIC's success is from NCC alums, sans USF and maybe Winona - though we are so far removed from the NCC I don't think there is any real influence anymore. I think that's why they get the big praise.

Not to mention the NCC had 5+ flagship schools whereas the NSIC has only 1. Those fanbases just run deeper and the rivalries are stronger.

That being said, I don't hold the Summit in high regard, and I think the current NSIC would dominate in VB, largely win in baseball, and be competent in basketball/softball/soccer. Football is a different story, though I bet a clean cut MSU would best Western Illinois.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

The NSIC is pretty good in football, but the NCC was dominant. And much of the current NSIC's success is from NCC alums, sans USF and maybe Winona - though we are so far removed from the NCC I don't think there is any real influence anymore. I think that's why they get the big praise.

Not to mention the NCC had 5+ flagship schools whereas the NSIC has only 1. Those fanbases just run deeper and the rivalries are stronger.

That being said, I don't hold the Summit in high regard, and I think the current NSIC would dominate in VB, largely win in baseball, and be competent in basketball/softball/soccer. Football is a different story, though I bet a clean cut MSU would best Western Illinois.
        MVFC isn't included in the Summit so you are safe, haha. Western Illinois has no business being D1.

100% agree on the difference between the Summit and the NSIC in almost every sport.

The NCC was completely dominant and winning national titles a plenty. The NSIC is a strong conference but the way the NCC handled the NSIC for most of its existence (not really toward the final years) isn't even close.

There is a reason NSU fans remember beating the Jacks in Frost for the Regional Title in 1988...things that are rare usually stick out.

Comment

Men's basketball was one of the few sports where the NCC wasn't dominant... at the time of its dissolution, the conference hadn't won a regional title in over a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

I absolutely do not think they will, haha.

And it's more than some. Idk I'd their radio guy that was on late afternoons is still around or not but he was always pushing that agenda as well about how the Big Ten would be lucky to have them and how they are more valuable than Rutgers and so on. Very nerdy dude with pipes that could break shatter mirrors. Tried to relate most stuff to D and D or Star Wars, if I remember correctly. Lol
            Who is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
              There is a pretty interesting article on The Athletic if you have a subscription regarding NDSU's views on moving up to FCS. I know that interest has waned a little in North Dakota's Professional Sports Team because people have become bored with all of the success. As the article lays out, NDSU moving to FCS is a difficult task because they aren't a great fit with any conference. They have the program and resources to compete on the G5 level similar to the many other schools that have made the jump in recent years. What the article doesn't really speak to is the rest of the sports. But, with most of the realignment the other sports are often an afterthought. Perhaps they could remain in the Summit even if football moves on to greener pastures somehow? I also wonder how this would affect SDSU. I don't know that they are thinking about moving up, but I get the feeling if NDSU moved, SDSU would feel they need to keep up as well. Whereas Morningside might be happy winning NAIA championships every year rather than being a decent D2 team, I believe NDSU believes they could have real success at the G5 level.

I mention all of this because it could have real consequences on the NSIC. If those schools move up does that create the necessary opening for Augie (or Mankato)?
              I think you mean moving up to FBS from FCS, not moving up to FCS.
              Last edited by Umdfan35; 01-07-2023, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Who is that?
                I dont remember his name. Kent or Keith maybe? It was a late afternoon show.

Comment

I completely agree with whoever said earlier that non-P5 is the solution if there is a move up to FBS. Would also need SDSU to move up with them for a travel partner / local rival. But (and I think this is not a good idea) what if they went BigXII? Iowa State and KState are relatively close. Little further for KU and BYU but still doable. Cincy and WVU become more of an issue. Biggest problem comes with travel Florida and Houston/Waco/Lubbock. But with the way it appears with super conferences, may happen anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by WPHB View Post
                    I completely agree with whoever said earlier that non-P5 is the solution if there is a move up to FBS. Would also need SDSU to move up with them for a travel partner / local rival. But (and I think this is not a good idea) what if they went BigXII? Iowa State and KState are relatively close. Little further for KU and BYU but still doable. Cincy and WVU become more of an issue. Biggest problem comes with travel Florida and Houston/Waco/Lubbock. But with the way it appears with super conferences, may happen anyway.
                    Wrestling is as Big XII as those school are going to get

Comment

Originally posted by WPHB View Post
                      Do schools at the Big XII level worry about travel partners?

That seems to me to be a small college thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Do schools at the Big XII level worry about travel partners?

That seems to me to be a small college thing.
                        The only P5 conference that does it is the Pac-12.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                          Men's basketball was one of the few sports where the NCC wasn't dominant... at the time of its dissolution, the conference hadn't won a regional title in over a decade.
                          Bingo ! Despite all the advantages in the world. SDSU in particular. weird when you look back

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                            And I 100% understand why they have held that stance.

But look at that schedule again...two of those schools are preparing to play for the FCS Championship. Another was in the FCS playoffs. A few others are decent FCS programs.

Division II is no longer what it was in 2000. The NSIC is not what the NCC used to be. Yes, Mankato is still here. Other programs are good too. But Morningside would absolutely not drop back down to that degree if they moved back to Division II. Maybe they don't compete for championships every year, but they could still have a solid program here.
                            I'm talking about the dollars and cents of athletics, and its integration with the university as a whole. Morningside has been admit that the NAIA has allowed them to utilize athletics as an enrollment driver in ways that they couldn't in DII.

Comment

Looking for other possibilities that have rarely been discussed...what about Northwestern in Roseville/St. Paul? Obviously within the footprint. Facilities are adequate at worst. There aren't really any "dud" programs at the D3 level. I think volleyball could maybe compete right away in the league...at least where the Peacocks were (they were D3 national semifinalist this season). Only been at D3 level for 15 years, current AD led the move from NAIA to NCAA.
                              Last edited by Stanger86; 01-18-2023, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Bingo ! Despite all the advantages in the world. SDSU in particular. weird when you look back
                                The NCC seemed to underachieve in men's basketball, yet was the dominant conference for women's basketball. UND & NDSU played ping pong with the national title, SDSU won one and USD was second.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X