Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=vikingfaithful;n735083]
    Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

Augustana NOT preparing to go D1 except in hockey.
    Gotcha.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

If the Summit voted to approve Augustana as a member I'm reasonably confident the Vikings would be there ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

If the Summit voted to approve Augustana as a member I'm reasonably confident the Vikings would be there ASAP.
        That seems like a big "if" to me. Maybe it will happen, but I doubt USD and SDSU would like that too much. They'd immediately be a competitor in most sports.

Comment

[QUOTE=vikingfaithful;n735083]
          Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

Augie is like the kid who says they didn't want to go to prom anyway after finding out they couldn't get a date. Augie would be transitioning to D1 right now if they could have gotten an invitation, and my guess is they will accept an invitation if one ever comes.

Comment

[QUOTE=Thunder;n735217]

Augie is like the kid who says they didn't want to go to prom anyway after finding out they couldn't get a date. Augie would be transitioning to D1 right now if they could have gotten an invitation, and my guess is they will accept an invitation if one ever comes.
            I am quite sure the Augie to D1 is dead for several years. I haven't heard anything about the Summit league members changing their minds on Augie. D1 hockey will be the only look they get for quite some time.

Comment

[QUOTE=Thunder;n735217]

It was puzzling when they announced they were going D1 without an invitation in hand. They must have known that you can't move up without a conference affiliation.

Comment

[QUOTE=njmav1;n735246]
                Originally posted by Thunder View Post

It was puzzling when they announced they were going D1 without an invitation in hand. They must have known that you can't move up without a conference affiliation.
                This probably goes without saying, but I think the Augie administration just assumed the Summit would hand them one.

When that didn't happen, and then when the SL immediately offered UST (even before the NCAA waived them in) really told me that they don't want a presence in Sioux Falls.

I looked at hockey as being a "consolation prize" and an indicator that they won't be going D1 for the foreseeable future. I think SF is a good fit for college hockey, but I get the feeling that they'd rather have football/basketball at D1.

Comment

I get you have to wait for an offer from the Summit League for most sports but what would they do for wrestling and football? I don't see Augie going non-scholarship in football and maybe I'm wrong but I don't see the Big12 taking them in wrestling.

How long before St Thomas offers scholarships and wants to be in the same league as the Summit teams? I think St Thomas has the resources to be able to compete with the MVFC.

Comment

My opinion I don't think you want Jamestown or Dakota State in the NSIC! I get they both are improving their facilities but there's a good chance they both turn into Minot or Crookston! An who needs that! But maybe I'm wrong and they both turn into USF a "quality" NSIC team.

Comment

Originally posted by AU guy View Post
                      My opinion I don't think you want Jamestown or Dakota State in the NSIC! I get they both are improving their facilities but there's a good chance they both turn into Minot or Crookston! An who needs that! But maybe I'm wrong and they both turn into USF a "quality" NSIC team.
                      My thoughts exactly. They would dumb down the league by not being competitive. A school like BHSU or St. johns would be better choices.

Comment

I think the problem is the scheduling with an odd number of teams just doesn't work very well. We've debated for a couple years on here all of the better options that we would like to see join the NSIC instead. However, I don't think any of the better options will join. Jamestown is very likely the best the NSIC is able to do at this point. And I agree with you in the that I think they are much more likely to be like Minot than USF.

Comment

I get you have to wait for an offer from the Summit League for most sports but what would they do for wrestling and football? I don't see Augie going non-scholarship in football and maybe I'm wrong but I don't see the Big12 taking them in wrestling.

How long before St Thomas offers scholarships and wants to be in the same league as the Summit teams? I think St Thomas has the resources to be able to compete with the MVFC.
                          PFL for football to start, unless they somehow got into the MVFC. OVC might also be an option but they'd be an outlier geographically. No other conference is a good fit.

Comment

Part of the issue to me with the Minot add was they never fully raised their game AND they are way on the outskirts. At least both Jamestown and Madison don't completely wreck the travel situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post

I think the problem is the scheduling with an odd number of teams just doesn't work very well. We've debated for a couple years on here all of the better options that we would like to see join the NSIC instead. However, I don't think any of the better options will join. Jamestown is very likely the best the NSIC is able to do at this point. And I agree with you in the that I think they are much more likely to be like Minot than USF.
                              I agree I think Jamestown is a better option right now; at least their volleyball team should be able to compete.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

PFL for football to start, unless they somehow got into the MVFC. OVC might also be an option but they'd be an outlier geographically. No other conference is a good fit.
                                From what I heard in the past that football would be fully funded if they moved, but that's not somebody from the administration. We all know how expensive funding a football team is at that level and if St Thomas can't afford going scholarship right away how is Augie going to afford it? Unless they find a huge booster to invest in the program. The OVC is not an option in my book. I'm a huge Augie fan and I would love them to be D1 but the only way they make that work is if the old NCC teams decided to be nice and say we are going to start our own Summit League football league and we want AU. But I don't see that happening!
                                Last edited by AU guy; 01-23-2023, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X