Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Umdfan35 View Post
    If none of the other WIAC teams are d2, starting a new program at UWSuperior in not going to D2, plus who are “we” that could convince them. I still think MTU and NMU would be good fits, but they want Michigan ties for recruiting. Unless, UMD, BSU, WSU, MSU, Moorhead, CSP, broke away and joined them, then the could schedule non conference games down state MI. SMSU could follow if they wanted.
    It wasn't meant to be thought of that deeply - I wish UW-Superior still had football, but realistically it's unlikely to happen regardless of division. "We" was a tongue-and-cheek reference to us board members. I know there's no chance of it happening, but hypothetically - it would be kinda neat.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

It was me. That late afternoon Bison 1660 guy always talked about how if they move it has to be a big move. Mountain west won't cut it. We are too deep and have too much support, etc, etc.

It wasn't just him though. I work with about 30 bison fans, i deliver to them all week, 52 weeks a year. Almost every hard-core one believes the same thing. Certainly there are more level headed fans out there but from my experience, that's what it is.
      That's right - I remember now.

Honestly, from my experience with *DSU fans, I can believe many do see themselves as a fit for the Big10. A lot of them think the sports world should revolve around them. Thank goodness it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

For what it's worth this link was broken. You can search the story still but now says Jamestown and the NSIC have said they have had no discussions.

Maybe they did and it got leaked or maybe someone made it up. Who knows.

We can keep talking about additions of schools but I'm more sold on the idea that we will have a break up.

I've said before I think it will be based on a "haves and have-nots" type of deal. Certainly doesn't mean that will be the case but I think that seems much more likely. Two smaller conferences with either of them able to add some of the named potential schools we have had.

I dont really like it or want it but it seems more likely to me than all of this uncertainty and odd nunbers mess.
        Over on the MIAA portion of this site they have mentioned expansion/additions of Wayne and USF. Just board chatter of course but...nice to see things from outside our NSIC eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I have a tough time believing the third largest school in the state had to get rid of FB to begin with. I know there was all kinds of Title IX stuff, budgets, etc - but I just can't wrap my head around it. It's gotta boil down to sheer incompetence.

They were required by Title IX to add a men's fall sport, so they chose men's soccer - which the travel cost alone is probably insane.
          I do believe their attendance has dropped significantly. UMD should surpass them as 3rd soon enough. Honestly screw St. Cloud, they need to be kicked immediately. UMC should have been kicked years ago but my guess is the bottom schools love having a doormat to claim a few wins off of each year.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Agreed. It's not ideal, but picking the wrong fit too quickly could be much worse. Plus I like the idea of OOC games for a few years.
            Why not forever?

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

If the Summit voted to approve Augustana as a member I'm reasonably confident the Vikings would be there ASAP.
              agree

Comment

[QUOTE=Thunder;n735217]
                Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Augie is like the kid who says they didn't want to go to prom anyway after finding out they couldn't get a date. Augie would be transitioning to D1 right now if they could have gotten an invitation, and my guess is they will accept an invitation if one ever comes.
                agree. I find it interesting the Summit League didn't want them. Maybe they think they don't need the Sioux Falls college as they already have the market with USD and SDSU

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

My thoughts exactly. They would dumb down the league by not being competitive. A school like BHSU or St. johns would be better choices.
                  i would agree with this St. Johns would e a great addition but not ever happening given they will now own the MIAC forever with St. Thomas gone

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

I do believe their attendance has dropped significantly. UMD should surpass them as 3rd soon enough. Honestly screw St. Cloud, they need to be kicked immediately. UMC should have been kicked years ago but my guess is the bottom schools love having a doormat to claim a few wins off of each year.
                    Just at a quick refresher (I've looked at this before). St. Cloud was down around 33% from 15k to 10k students from 2017-2021. Last year it looks like Duluth over took them but dropped a lot to this year and fell back behind St. Cloud.

Mankato still well ahead of them

Comment

• Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
                      Worst thing the league ever did was allow membership without football. From this fans perspective it sure looks like they let SCSU control the situation and allowed them to drop football without any penalty. Should have been removed with UMC.
                      Amen ! Great post.

very irritating as well since the NSIC saved UMD, Augie, SCSU, and Mankato when the NCC blew up. they would have been out there as Independents otherwise. To be fair MnSCU essentially forced the Minnesota schools hands, but there was great leverage which was simply not used.

Comment

Worst thing the league ever did was allow membership without football. From this fans perspective it sure looks like they let SCSU control the situation and allowed them to drop football without any penalty. Should have been removed with UMC.
                        Now, this is not to say the NSIC is not better with the 4 old NCC teams - it is - and has been good for most psorts and raised the league up. SCSu though is in disarray really what a mess.

Comment

Yes, that is true. They've had a drastic decline in enrollment. I remember when MSU overtook them for #2. Kicking an extra 50+ students out overnight from the football team certainly didn't help.

It's a shame, they are an old school with some solid history - but they've been mismanaged for so many years now that they are just a shell of their former selves. I was just there a few weeks ago, it's a bummer it's gotten as bad as it has. Beautiful campus.

Comment

• Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

We can keep talking about additions of schools but I'm more sold on the idea that we will have a break up.

I've said before I think it will be based on a "haves and have-nots" type of deal. Certainly doesn't mean that will be the case but I think that seems much more likely. Two smaller conferences with either of them able to add some of the named potential schools we have had.

I dont really like it or want it but it seems more likely to me than all of this uncertainty and odd nunbers mess.
                            I have been asking for years to split, however it was the MN and UIU schools. Guess that won't be an option anymore with SCSU and UMC with no football, and UIU leaving for GLVC.

MSU Moorhead, Bemidji, UMD, CSP, SMSU, Winona, and MSU Mankato qualify technically for a conference AQ, but I'd add USF and Augie to solidify a 9 team conference.. 8 conference games for football, could add a championship game if they want.

Let Wayne, Northern, Mary, Minot sweet talk Chadron, Black Hills State, maybe Kearney and SD Mines to join up. Then add Dakota State and/or Jamestown if they like. Travel raises sure but there would be more parity I would think. More of a chance to succeed.

I think it could have benefits for several schools, and football could always have a scheduling alliance but it gets those sweet sweet OOC games for the playoff committee. I know it's not what people want to see for ooc games, they want new schools to play but there would be some new blood mixed in. I'd be excited to see how the dynamics change.
                            Last edited by zimmy21; 01-24-2023, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

Just at a quick refresher (I've looked at this before). St. Cloud was down around 33% from 15k to 10k students from 2017-2021. Last year it looks like Duluth over took them but dropped a lot to this year and fell back behind St. Cloud.

Mankato still well ahead of them
                              I want to say MSU surpassed them around 2012, 2013? I'd have to look, but I remember hearing about it shortly after I started at SMSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Why not forever?
                                I guess there's nothing necessarily wrong with that. My fear is that if we can't get anything scheduled, I'd rather play a conference opponent than none at all.

Not sure how realistic that concern is, I guess only time will tell.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X