Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pretty interesting stuff. I don't see much happening in the next couple years. mnSCU is broke despite a $18 Billion dollar Minnesota surplus and even with that Surplus, none of it is going to D2 atheltics. And the MnSCU schools are the core of the NSIC as they are all together . so the same money problems will be here in 5 years, frankly maybe worse as enrollments continue to drop.

MnSCU has done a poor job marketing and providing value to young people.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
      pretty interesting stuff. I don't see much happening in the next couple years. mnSCU is broke despite a $18 Billion dollar Minnesota surplus and even with that Surplus, none of it is going to D2 atheltics. And the MnSCU schools are the core of the NSIC as they are all together . so the same money problems will be here in 5 years, frankly maybe worse as enrollments continue to drop.

I have to agree, I see more billboards for Augustana in this state than anyone else. Kudos to Augie, I hope you go D1 and take us with you lol

Comment

• While none of us know the future for NSIC expansion and such..if this was a pool and I got to take one school as my pick, it would be Jamestown. I have zero proof..just my hunch.

They are very much outside the conference footprint for the GPAC (NAIA-Iowa/Neb schools mostly) where they currently reside..and have seemingly been rumored to have potential D2 aspirations, along with already being inside the NSIC in terms of geography..in other words, it would be a better fit for them than their current conference.

They have a very nice basketball facility and mens program (top ranked in the GPAC) but football is similar to UIU. Their football stadium has been upgraded and would be middle of the pack-ish..and would be within easy travel to Minot, UMary, Moorhead, and Northern. We have no idea how $$ ready any of these schools are for joining the NSIC..but I would have them at the top of the list of possible schools to join the conference. Most of the others seem to have a more fitting conference affiliation where they already sit..or they aren't an easy geographic for the NSIC.

I could totally see BHSU and SD Mines wanting "in" with the NSIC..but I'm just not sure the conference would vote them in due to travel....as they are 5 hours west of Sioux Falls..which would be their closest NSIC opponent. It almost feels like in that case, those teams would need the NSIC more than the NSIC needs them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
          While none of us know the future for NSIC expansion and such..if this was a pool and I got to take one school as my pick, it would be Jamestown. I have zero proof..just my hunch.

They are very much outside the conference footprint for the GPAC (NAIA-Iowa/Neb schools mostly) where they currently reside..and have seemingly been rumored to have potential D2 aspirations, along with already being inside the NSIC in terms of geography..in other words, it would be a better fit for them than their current conference.

They have a very nice basketball facility and mens program (top ranked in the GPAC) but football is similar to UIU. Their football stadium has been upgraded and would be middle of the pack-ish..and would be within easy travel to Minot, UMary, Moorhead, and Northern. We have no idea how $$ ready any of these schools are for joining the NSIC..but I would have them at the top of the list of possible schools to join the conference. Most of the others seem to have a more fitting conference affiliation where they already sit..or they aren't an easy geographic for the NSIC.

I could totally see BHSU and SD Mines wanting "in" with the NSIC..but I'm just not sure the conference would vote them in due to travel....as they are 5 hours west of Sioux Falls..which would be their closest NSIC opponent. It almost feels like in that case, those teams would need the NSIC more than the NSIC needs them.
          The GPAC is an gloriously compact conference with easy bus travel except for Jamestown. The Jimmies would fit nicely in the NSIC. Does anyone know what their Athletic budget is? We don't need another Crookston.

Comment

I completely agree with this. But if I may offer a counter, the same was said about UMary in 2006, though not quite to the same extreme. UMary definitely needed the NSIC more than the NSIC needed UMary.

Comment

• Mileage to Jamestown
              (distance between football stadiums, even if they don't currently have a program)

Moorhead - 97 miles
              Bismarck - 103 miles
              Aberdeen - 105 miles
              Crookston - 157 miles
              Minot - 172 miles
              Bemidji - 226 miles
              St. Cloud - 270 miles
              Marshall - 293 miles
              Sioux Falls (AU) - 310 miles
              Sioux Falls (USF) - 314 miles
              St. Paul - 334 miles
              Duluth - 335 miles
              Mankato - 364 miles
              Wayne - 391 miles
              Winona - 443 miles

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

I completely agree with this. But if I may offer a counter, the same was said about UMary in 2006, though not quite to the same extreme. UMary definitely needed the NSIC more than the NSIC needed UMary.
                That's 17 years ago....a lot has changed, so I'm not sure I'd suggest all things in the conference are the same as back then.

I don't think the NSIC needs a team at this moment, but would instead like a team..but I'm not sure a stretch for ones 5 hours outside the geographic footprint is needed here. (and I have nothing against SD Mines or BHSU)

The other piece of this expansion talk has to come back to "is Augie moving to D1?"
                As someone who lives in Sioux Falls....I never hear about this anymore.

I have a feeling that Kelby gone from Sanford (who seemed to championed this cause) creates a situation where it feels like the push to make this happen has subsided. Pair that with the Summit hoops league seemingly passing Augie over for St. Thomas..and some talk that USD and SDSU might not be thrilled about them infringing on the Sioux Falls D1 market..Ietc.

It's kinda feel like the Augie to D1 talk is dead in the water unless the Summit suddenly makes advances towards them. Augie's vision of them at D1 has been them playing hoops in the Summit with their former-peer schools such as SDSU and USD, etc. It feels like their interest in D1 has that vision behind it....not playing teams all over the western half of the country and racking up massive transportation costs.

The only reason I'm mentioning the Augie angle is the league kinda needs to know (if thinking expansion) where Augie's at with this..as the count of member schools is impacted by a possible D1 move. (Irealize Hockey will be D1..like Mankato and such..but I'm talking football/hoops)

Going forward, I'm assuming Augie is staying D2 (NSIC).
                Last edited by Matt Witwicki; 02-22-2023, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Going forward, I'm assuming Augie is staying D2 (NSIC).
                  I agree. If the FBS/FCS dominos fall and NDSU & SDSU would join an FBS conference might the Summit come calling. And only if they left in all sports.

Comment

• Full disclosure: I am a Black Hills State grad ('95, when it was still NAIA) and for my personal interests, I'd love to have them and Tech in the NSIC. Two free trips out west every year to see my family and friends! Yes it's a lot of miles, but it's 80 MPH on the interstate, and once you get there, there's plenty to do and see. 45 miles from Spearfish to Rapid City makes for an easy back-to-back. I think BH might need to add a couple of sports though, they only sponsor 5 on the men's side right now. But it's a much better option for them than Durango, Grand Junction, and Las Vegas New Mexico (720 miles one way)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Brookens View Post
                      But it's a much better option for them than Durango, Grand Junction, and Las Vegas New Mexico (720 miles one way)
                      Careful what you ask for....Duluth is 690 miles, Bemidji 628, Winona 665.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                        pretty interesting stuff. I don't see much happening in the next couple years. mnSCU is broke despite a $18 Billion dollar Minnesota surplus and even with that Surplus, none of it is going to D2 atheltics. And the MnSCU schools are the core of the NSIC as they are all together . so the same money problems will be here in 5 years, frankly maybe worse as enrollments continue to drop.

Yup. The marketing is abysmal. We used to joke about it as marketing majors.

MnSCU is a mess. In hindsight, they somehow managed to neglect St. Paul/Bloomington/Rochester for Marshall/Bemidji/Moorhead/Winona, failed to set up a true flagship with at least an R2 distinction, and created each institution as a virtual carbon copy of each other institution. Obviously that's oversimplified - but it left us without a real marketable edge.

It's benefitting the big four Dakota schools, despite those not being ultra-great institutions either.

Value is subjective, I think tuition is ungodly, but it's worse elsewhere. I got a decent value all things considered, but I also majored in something I knew I could land me a job - that seems to be the real key.

Comment

• Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

I have to agree, I see more billboards for Augustana in this state than anyone else. Kudos to Augie, I hope you go D1 and take us with you lol
                          SMSU used to have a billboard tucked away in North Mankato - I always thought that was hilarious.

We spend so much time trying to grab market share in the Twin Cities that we neglected virtually all of our namesake. I'm sure SDSU and NDSU don't mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

SMSU used to have a billboard tucked away in North Mankato - I always thought that was hilarious.

We spend so much time trying to grab market share in the Twin Cities that we neglected virtually all of our namesake. I'm sure SDSU and NDSU don't mind.
                            I have seen a BSU billboard or two on the drive between Alexandria and the Twin Cities on 94 (also used to see one on 71 between Wadena and Park Rapids, but that was a few years ago, not sure if it is still there). But yeah, the NDSU and UND billboards definitely outnumber them on 94.
                            Millsy

Comment

• Originally posted by Millsy View Post

I have seen a BSU billboard or two on the drive between Alexandria and the Twin Cities on 94 (also used to see one on 71 between Wadena and Park Rapids, but that was a few years ago, not sure if it is still there). But yeah, the NDSU and UND billboards definitely outnumber them on 94.
                              I have family that live south of Bemidji and have spent a lot of time in that general region - I don't think I've ever seen an advertisement for BSU. I suppose they might assume that everyone in the area just knows it exists and don't bother to put up billboards for it, but when your competition is UND/UMD - it might not hurt to be a bit more aggressive.

And you'd think the hockey schools in the NSIC would be better at advertising since they have that additional tool, yet that seems to be a non-factor.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I have family that live south of Bemidji and have spent a lot of time in that general region - I don't think I've ever seen an advertisement for BSU. I suppose they might assume that everyone in the area just knows it exists and don't bother to put up billboards for it, but when your competition is UND/UMD - it might not hurt to be a bit more aggressive.

And you'd think the hockey schools in the NSIC would be better at advertising since they have that additional tool, yet that seems to be a non-factor.
                                Let's face it though, if you are a prospective student, are you even going to notice billboards anymore (and print advertising as well)? I know my kids, when I am driving, have their faces buried into TikTok, not what is going by outside the window. Schools really need to push the social media presence to get to the current prospective students. And I guess I am out of the TikTok loop to even know if MnSCU schools are out there or not.
                                Millsy

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X