Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

I think this is a very good take. There's some strength in numbers and I don't see the conference as troubled and such. I don't think you can even start up a new conference in D2 anymore with less than 10 schools..I think that was adopted a few years back to make sure there would be more stability and if auto-qualification became a thing. The NSIC has less concerns than most conferences nationally and I think slow-playing things over the next 12-24 months is likely going to be the best plan as things like a Crookston move to D3 (if they can find a taker) could occur, maybe Wayne gets recruited by the MIAA as that conference is looking for expansion (not that we wanna see them leave), or just leave things alone without a knee jerk reaction. Things are currently workable as they are....ideal no, but not that big a deal either. I could see the conference not wanting to rush into getting a new member only for them to be one that's struggling to compete.

I know it makes for fun "fantasy booking" to chat about expansion and such..but I have a feeling that's all this is.
    I actually think Wayne prefers to stay with us than go to the MIAA.

I think they would view the MIAA tougher in football (fair or not) and they are a southern school with us vs a Northern school in the MIAA which benefits them as well.

Comment

• I'm always amused to see people complain about the westerns chools. Frankly they are in better financial shape than MnSCU with declining enrollement and ZERO extra $$$.

I have been complaining for years how crappy SMSU is treated by MnSCU and now many of the other schools are getting the same treatment. And our legislature has zero interest in funding sports. zero.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

I actually think Wayne prefers to stay with us than go to the MIAA.

I think they would view the MIAA tougher in football (fair or not) and they are a southern school with us vs a Northern school in the MIAA which benefits them as well.
        I would say Wayne would prefer to stay put. The MIAA is whole different beast. WSC does have some history with several MIAA members, but I would say they have developed a nice history now with the northern schools in the past 20+ years. It wouldn't surprise me if the MIAA ever reached out (probably already have at some point over the years, but I can't see WSC wanting to move.)

From 1976 to about 1990, Wayne was part of the Central States Intercollegiate Conference with Emporia State, Fort Hays State, Missouri Southern, Missouri Western, Nebraska-Kearney, Pittsburg State and Washburn.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
          I'm always amused to see people complain about the westerns chools. Frankly they are in better financial shape than MnSCU with declining enrollement and ZERO extra $$$.

I have been complaining for years how crappy SMSU is treated by MnSCU and now many of the other schools are getting the same treatment. And our legislature has zero interest in funding sports. zero.
          IMO, that's just the state of higher ed in the United States right now unless you live on the coasts. Minnesota has had far fewer closures/mergers than most other states in the Midwest due to money. If things are as bad as you say, I don't think the legislature should be concerned so much with sports.

From my perspective, the legislature is more focused on the two-year schools. MN/SD has some of the best in the entire country. I remember when I wanted to go to school in Duluth and the state denied UMD a bunch of money and gave LSC a ton to start a new downtown campus. We need more plumbers/electricians/auto-mechanics than we do ag majors and philosophy students, and the state knows this. Or maybe they are just gun-shy about the dumpster fire that is SCSU and are hesitant to help out the other four-years for that reason.

As for SMSU, I agree - but we're the black sheep of MnSCU. They are going to want to fund the bigger schools that serve a bigger purpose first. It blows, but that's kinda just how the world works. It would be nice if our alumni base and community cared about the school so we could fund it like SDSU does, but I gave up on that idea long, long ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post

I would say Wayne would prefer to stay put. The MIAA is whole different beast. WSC does have some history with several MIAA members, but I would say they have developed a nice history now with the northern schools in the past 20+ years. It wouldn't surprise me if the MIAA ever reached out (probably already have at some point over the years, but I can't see WSC wanting to move.)

From 1976 to about 1990, Wayne was part of the Central States Intercollegiate Conference with Emporia State, Fort Hays State, Missouri Southern, Missouri Western, Nebraska-Kearney, Pittsburg State and Washburn.
            To be very clear, I don't think or see why the NSIC schools or fans would wanna see Wayne State depart. Any such move would really be more about WSC looking at the current landscape and coming to the conclusion that the MIAA was a better spot for them..based on geography or whatever it might be.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
              As for SMSU, I agree - but we're the black sheep of MnSCU. They are going to want to fund the bigger schools that serve a bigger purpose first. It blows, but that's kinda just how the world works. It would be nice if our alumni base and community cared about the school so we could fund it like SDSU does, but I gave up on that idea long, long ago.
              We're going deep down a rabbit hole here, but this comes down to longevity more than anything else. We don't have swaths of rich, dead alums around to donate large chunks of money to the university yet. The 18-year olds who stepped on campus on Day 1 in 1967 as the FIRST class would still only be in their early 70s..... Many of the other schools have been around since the early 1900s.

Interestingly, we are the only MnSCU four-year school with athletics to gain enrollment in the 2010s decade pre-COVID. Some enrollments dropped by as much as 25% (ie SCSU). -Source

Comment

• I had the opportunity to interview MSU AD Kevin Buisman at halftime of one of our women's basketball tournament games in Sioux Falls. Among the topics we touched on: Just as Matt said, the NSIC is going to slow play this, they feel no need to go out and have to get someone immediately. He did say there is a consultant that has been hired to look at membership of the league down the road. Also, Maverick football, they did inquire with Central Oklahoma and Saginaw Valley State about the Week 7 opening but both of those schools chose other opponents. He said they are still looking for an 11th opponent, as they feel with only 10 games they might have to go at least 9-1 to make the playoffs. But also said there is a likelihood that week will remain open and they will be stuck with 10 games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                  We're going deep down a rabbit hole here, but this comes down to longevity more than anything else. We don't have swaths of rich, dead alums around to donate large chunks of money to the university yet. The 18-year olds who stepped on campus on Day 1 in 1967 as the FIRST class would still only be in their early 70s..... Many of the other schools have been around since the early 1900s.

Interestingly, we are the only MnSCU four-year school with athletics to gain enrollment in the 2010s decade pre-COVID. Some enrollments dropped by as much as 25% (ie SCSU). -Source
                  True. Not a rabbit hole worth following in this thread. But I agree, the age of the school definitely matters. Actually, I think every MnSCU uni besides BSU (1919) and Metro (?) pre-date 1900.

We're also just not a destination school, but apparently our enrollment % have done better than most others in-state, so that's encouraging.

Comment

• NAIA North Star football member Iowa Wesleyan to close. Per reports.
                    With Presentation closing along with Iowa Wesleyan, that leaves North Star with 5 football members.
                    Could this force Dakota State, and Dickinson State to make the first step to D2?

https://www.kcrg.com/2023/03/28/iowa...academic-year/

Comment

• The North Star is now down to five teams: Dakota St, Dickenson St, Mayville St, Valley City St, Waldorf. They could play home and away and it would still only be eight games. Not sure they can go D3 or D2. Their options are pretty limited.

Comment

• NAIA football all over is definitely hurting. Going up might be the only option for survival of some of these programs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Brookens View Post
                          NAIA football all over is definitely hurting. Going up might be the only option for survival of some of these programs.
                          There are many in D2 that do not belong already. D2 could become watered down if more NAIA teams move up. Certainly
                          there are schools able to entertain a move such as Morningside, Jamestown and perhaps Northwestern. It's a much greater financial commitment as a D2 school.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
                            The North Star is now down to five teams: Dakota St, Dickenson St, Mayville St, Valley City St, Waldorf. They could play home and away and it would still only be eight games. Not sure they can go D3 or D2. Their options are pretty limited.
                            Crookston belongs in the North Start Conf (or the UMAC) ... so many issues could be solved. From the NSIC's unbalance, to the long term security and stability of either of those leagues, to competitiveness. A move along Hwy 2 needs to happen soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by CheapSkate View Post

Crookston belongs in the North Start Conf (or the UMAC) ... so many issues could be solved. From the NSIC's unbalance, to the long term security and stability of either of those leagues, to competitiveness. A move along Hwy 2 needs to happen soon.
                              I agree. I posted earlier about a long conversation that I had with a UMAC official about ten years ago dealing with Presentation, Finlandia and Crookston. That was before they lost St Scholastica to the MIAC. I think that the UMAC would be the best fit.

Comment

• D3 is best option for most of those schools. Sure, you lose the athletic scholarships but the endowed money can be rolled over into academic scholarships or facility improvements. Not only a matter of simply surviving and having a home, but could potentially be a reset button to establish yourself and brand and prepare for a D2 move down the road.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X