Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain to me why SCSU is losing so much ground in the world of higher education?

Comment

• I wonder how much of SCSU enrollment is affected by the perception of St Cloud city proper. SCSU campus is downtown. Maybe I'm alone, but St Cloud might be my least favorite city in Minnesota to travel to and through.

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
        Can someone explain to me why SCSU is losing so much ground in the world of higher education?
        Leadership has been non-existent. Crime and the perception of crime is up. Friends of mine who live there aren't happy and no longer support SCSU. I remember when their enrollment was larger than MSU and seemed like whatever SCSU did that MSU would just follow along. It has been a sad decline.

Comment

• Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

Yet again, time for the NSIC to be proactive and drop them and UMC. Reinstitute the bylaw of required football, and get back to the way things should be.
          I agree. It's time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
            I wonder how much of SCSU enrollment is affected by the perception of St Cloud city proper. SCSU campus is downtown. Maybe I'm alone, but St Cloud might be my least favorite city in Minnesota to travel to and through.
            You aren't. St. Cloud being the armpit of Minnesota is a common sentiment. It has a few things I like, but I'd rather just go to Sioux Falls or Mankato.

On SCSU, it might be affecting things somewhat, but the #1 reason is the train of leadership that's gutted the university over the last 10 years (not to mention the dumpster fire of an athletics department). SCSU is also notorious for lack of alumni engagement which hasn't helped anything.

I mean, St. Cloud has always been St. Cloud - there's not much of a correlation between the decline of the city and the decline of the university, because the city has always been at the bottom and the college has not. It was only 10 years ago or so that they were the king of MnSCU in terms of enrollment, it wasn't until after I started at SMSU that MSU took over.

But one thing is for certain, I don't hear them get talked about anymore like I used too.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post

Leadership has been non-existent. Crime and the perception of crime is up. Friends of mine who live there aren't happy and no longer support SCSU. I remember when their enrollment was larger than MSU and seemed like whatever SCSU did that MSU would just follow along. It has been a sad decline.
              A sad one, and a rapid one. I'd be curious what other public universities have seen such drastic declines over the last 20-ish years and what their fate is looking like.

Enrollments are down everywhere in the midwest, but SCSU is a standout.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

You aren't. St. Cloud being the armpit of Minnesota is a common sentiment. It has a few things I like, but I'd rather just go to Sioux Falls or Mankato.

On SCSU, it might be affecting things somewhat, but the #1 reason is the train of leadership that's gutted the university over the last 10 years (not to mention the dumpster fire of an athletics department). SCSU is also notorious for lack of alumni engagement which hasn't helped anything.

I mean, St. Cloud has always been St. Cloud - there's not much of a correlation between the decline of the city and the decline of the university, because the city has always been at the bottom and the college has not. It was only 10 years ago or so that they were the king of MnSCU in terms of enrollment, it wasn't until after I started at SMSU that MSU took over.

But one thing is for certain, I don't hear them get talked about anymore like I used too.
                I have been ignorant as I thought St. Cloud was another clean wholesome Minnesota city like Marshall. My assumption now is a lot of shady people have moved there.

Comment

• I went to a St. Cloud Rox baseball game a couple of years ago. Before the game I was heading out to get something to eat, and made a wrong turn. I rode my motorcycle through a neighborhood that seemed a lot sketchier than I would have expected to see in St. Cloud. It kind of surprised me as I was expecting your typical Minnesota town.

I got a lot of interesting looks as I rode through the residential area. Apparently they don't see outsider motorcyclists that often. When I finally found the restaurant I had picked out on the map earlier, I went inside and discovered I was the only white and English speaking dude in the place. Thankfully they had picture menus so I could order by pointing. The food was pretty good, and I never felt unsafe. I'd eat there again.

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

I have been ignorant as I thought St. Cloud was another clean wholesome Minnesota city like Marshall. My assumption now is a lot of shady people have moved there.
                    No lol. There's a reason why the term "Stearns County Syndrome" exists. It's not a real diagnosis by any means, but... it's there for a reason.

To be fair, this situation is anecdotal and the assailant is originally from southwest Minnesota and not St. Cloud, but still... imagine this happening in Sioux Falls or Mankato? Marshall is strange in its own right, but it's got nothing on St. Cloud:

Charges: Man who killed SCSU professor in doorway had knocked on door to ask for help - Bring Me The News

It's dense, it's dirty, it's arranged weird... it's also effectively become an outer-ring suburb, IMO. I'll drive through it, but unless something is going on at SCSU I want to see (which is a rarity these days), I'll pass on a visit.

EDIT: And the Press Bar arson - who can forget that? I heard this place was pretty sketchy back in the day.

Press Bar in St. Cloud owner sentenced to federal prison for arson (fox9.com)
                    Last edited by SW_Mustang; 06-01-2023, 07:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post
                      I went to a St. Cloud Rox baseball game a couple of years ago. Before the game I was heading out to get something to eat, and made a wrong turn. I rode my motorcycle through a neighborhood that seemed a lot sketchier than I would have expected to see in St. Cloud. It kind of surprised me as I was expecting your typical Minnesota town.

I got a lot of interesting looks as I rode through the residential area. Apparently they don't see outsider motorcyclists that often. When I finally found the restaurant I had picked out on the map earlier, I went inside and discovered I was the only white and English speaking dude in the place. Thankfully they had picture menus so I could order by pointing. The food was pretty good, and I never felt unsafe. I'd eat there again.
                      I can see it being a culture shock to someone not from Minnesota, but St. Cloud literally is the butt of the joke for us that live(d) in MN.

It has some nice things - and the city is forever immortalized in the hit classic Catch Me If You Can (the original one, not with Leo) - so there's that.

It's also home to SCSU's hockey team though, so... yeah. Not good.

Comment

• I've been to St. Cloud plenty (even interviewed for a job there about 13 years ago) and Mankato more. The cities themselves kind of mirror each other to me. I don't see a ton of difference between the two. However, when it comes to perception, and probably true statistics, I feel much safer and things feel "happier" in Mankato.

We actually just stopped to eat in St. Cloud on the way back from the cities and one of my little ones asked if St. Cloud was a big city and then asked if it was a safe city, and right as she asked that, two officers walked into the restaurant requesting one of the workers come outside with them, haha.

Impeccable timing.

*Disclaimer, I've instructed my kids that if they choose to stay in this state after their HS graduation they will receive no assistance, no encouragement, no communication, but I will pray that God has mercy on their souls. Haha. This place is awful and I'll never forgive myself for letting us settle down here.
                        Last edited by NSU4LIFE; 06-01-2023, 10:17 AM.

Comment

I can see it being a culture shock to someone not from Minnesota, but St. Cloud literally is the butt of the joke for us that live(d) in MN.
                          Before moving here and after living her so many years only time I hear St. Cloud really referenced is for the Johnnies, every insult or joke (not including the Twin Cities) I have heard revolved around Willmar, Austin or Pipestone, in that order

Comment

• Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                            I've been to St. Cloud plenty (even interviewed for a job there about 13 years ago) and Mankato more. The cities themselves kind of mirror each other to me. I don't see a ton of difference between the two. However, when it comes to perception, and probably true statistics, I feel much safer and things feel "happier" in Mankato.

We actually just stopped to eat in St. Cloud on the way back from the cities and one of my little ones asked if St. Cloud was a big city and then asked if it was a safe city, and right as she asked that, two officers walked into the restaurant requesting one of the workers come outside with them, haha.

Impeccable timing.

*Disclaimer, I've instructed my kids that if they choose to stay in this state after their HS graduation they will receive no assistance, no encouragement, no communication, but I will pray that God has mercy on their souls. Haha. This place is awful and I'll never forgive myself for letting us settle down here.
                            What state are you referring too? I'm looking to get out of South Dakota. Not a bad place by any means, but I never felt home since I moved over there. Minnesota is by no means perfect, as with any state.

I've always felt like they are two sides of the same coin. Similar on paper being that they are two large outstate college towns within an hour of the Twin Cities, but different in practical application. To me, Kato is much more livable. It's family friendly, quiet(er), with a stronger business community (and just as much to do as St. Cloud but with fewer people).

Kato has it's issues too definitely - and has surpassed St. Cloud as the party capital of Minnesota, but I always look forward to coming to Kato. It's much more warm and inviting. St. Cloud is... St. Cloud.

Comment

What state are you referring too? I'm looking to get out of South Dakota. Not a bad place by any means, but I never felt home since I moved over there. Minnesota is by no means perfect, as with any state.

I've always felt like they are two sides of the same coin. Similar on paper being that they are two large outstate college towns within an hour of the Twin Cities, but different in practical application. To me, Kato is much more livable. It's family friendly, quiet(er), with a stronger business community (and just as much to do as St. Cloud but with fewer people).

Kato has it's issues too definitely - and has surpassed St. Cloud as the party capital of Minnesota, but I always look forward to coming to Kato. It's much more warm and inviting. St. Cloud is... St. Cloud.
                              I live in Minnesota so im referring to Minnesota.

I just meant, to me, they look the same when passing through them. I wasn't speaking of a breakdown of pros and cons.
                              Last edited by NSU4LIFE; 06-01-2023, 10:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

Before moving here and after living her so many years only time I hear St. Cloud really referenced is for the Johnnies, every insult or joke (not including the Twin Cities) I have heard revolved around Willmar, Austin or Pipestone, in that order
                                Hear! Hear!

4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                                2016 NSIC Champions
                                🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X