Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023 SMSU Mustangs: Building the herd

I'll be curious to see how this season goes after an impressive start to the Underwood campaign. I think player retention was much better this year.

As of now, still no word on the Week 5 opponent.

News broke today that DL coach Khanis Hubbard resigned to become co-DC at his alma mater Catawba. Wonder who they get to replace him.

Comment

I wonder if they could rope in Joe Ford, formerly of USF. Haven't heard of him landing anywhere, and he has experience both with Underwood and SMSU.

Comment

Stanger with the new thread -- great idea

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
          I'll be curious to see how this season goes after an impressive start to the Underwood campaign. I think player retention was much better this year.

As of now, still no word on the Week 5 opponent.
          I would say 5 wins is the floor - 7 wins the ceiling in season 2. Obviously I want 11-0 and who knows maybe ! Lots of unknows for the 2023 NSIC season around the league but I think we will be competitive.

I think there is still much fluxuation with transfers and the last of the extra covid years out there. Things seems to have stabalized, but i still think there will be more turnover than ideal just because that is the new transfer portal world.

Regardless, I think Mustang fans thought year 1 was solid. a good start

Comment

News broke today that DL coach Khanis Hubbard resigned to become co-DC at his alma mater Catawba. Wonder who they get to replace him.
            the amount of moving within the coaching ranks rivals players moving around. Just the way it is.

By all accounts he did a good job and they will need to make a good hire.

Comment

Mustangs land QB Kellen Johnson out of Pipestone. Solid get

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                As I said in the other thread, this is the type of local kids I want to make sure we get. Just the last few years, we've had too many go elsewhere. I know it's the name of the game, but I hope we're back to getting more respectability locally.

Comment

I would say 5 wins is the floor - 7 wins the ceiling in season 2. Obviously I want 11-0 and who knows maybe ! Lots of unknows for the 2023 NSIC season around the league but I think we will be competitive.

I think there is still much fluxuation with transfers and the last of the extra covid years out there. Things seems to have stabalized, but i still think there will be more turnover than ideal just because that is the new transfer portal world.

Regardless, I think Mustang fans thought year 1 was solid. a good start
                  Yup, that's where I'm at. We were "supposed" to win two games heading into the season. We won four and turned heads with our competitiveness in about five more (even leading MSU at one point). A couple of bad losses, but they were to much more established programs - so I can look past it (this time, not so much next year).

Huge turnaround from the year prior as well, it was a massive step-up. This just felt like a different program - I was at Week 11 in 2021, that was absolutely embarrassing.

That all being said, I'm coming in around 5 wins too for this upcoming season as the baseline.

Comment

We're up to 20 commits as of this morning...

Where did we find them?
                    FCS: 1
                    JUCO: 2
                    --------------
                    MN: 10
                    IA: 2
                    WI: 2
                    NE: 2
                    CA: 1

Comment

It just dawned on me that his position coach is Boyer, who obviously is a big deal around Pipestone football. I'm guessing that factored in somewhat.

Comment

Kellen Johnson is a big dude with a Trevor Lawrence sized head. He should be an excellent QB.

Comment

We're up to 20 commits as of this morning...

Where did we find them?
                          FCS: 1
                          JUCO: 2
                          --------------
                          MN: 10
                          IA: 2
                          WI: 2
                          NE: 2
                          CA: 1
                          None from Nevada and Arizona, and only one from California? Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

None from Nevada and Arizona, and only one from California? Wow.
                            some of that is change in recruting philosphy. some is Undersood and Patterson and theother coaches have ties to MN, McClure was the tie to San diego and Vegas and he is gone so this is also a factor in less guys from there.

Comment

some of that is change in recruting philosphy. some is Undersood and Patterson and theother coaches have ties to MN, McClure was the tie to San diego and Vegas and he is gone so this is also a factor in less guys from there.
                              True, but Bullerman has been the primary Arizona guy in the past and he's still around. He still recruits there, but I think his primary spots are now Iowa and Nebraska. As you said, a shift in recruiting philosophy.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X