Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of yall really hit it on the head. Excited to see Paopao's system and see what can be done to relieve the pressure. The offense is loaded and should have a pretty big chip on their shoulder after underperforming last year. Hopefully, the defense won't have to keep us in games as much this year and we can give them some relief as well. Kinda agree with Molander likely not in the competition this year but aiming for next. Too much talent and experience in the QB room, but who knows? Are the spring practices open to the public? If so, has anyone here been out this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post

Even more of a puzzler: there's a quarterback, halfback and fullback. What happened to the three-quarterback?
      Ok, so yes I get sarcasm, but this question led me down a serious rabbit hole. Wikipedia page had lots of little trails for me to follow! Long story short, there actually was a 3/4 back in Scottish Rugby a long time ago. Who knew?

In case you want to waste half a day when you should be working...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...lback%22%20(FB).

Comment

https://www.siouxfallslive.com/news/...pring-practice

Nice report from Spring practices by Zim here.

Comment

Canyon Bauer of SDSU and former Sioux Falls O'gorman WR has transferred to Augustana as a graduate transfer with 2 years of eligibility left. He was no bench warmer for the Jacks. Also had offers from Winona St. and Minnesota St U.

Canyon Bauer (@canyonb123) / Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
            Canyon Bauer of SDSU and former Sioux Falls O'gorman WR has transferred to Augustana as a graduate transfer with 2 years of eligibility left. He was no bench warmer for the Jacks. Also had offers from Winona St. and Minnesota St U.

Canyon Bauer (@canyonb123) / Twitter
            It'll be interesting to see where Bauer fits in..with all 3 main wideouts from last year return..Jones, Uttecht, Fisher.

Comment

Seems like a good get. Have a feeling with the new OC we will need all the depth we can get in the WR room.

Comment

Augie peeps....I stopped out at practice on Tuesday. Just posting this now..(pics)

https://twitter.com/WittD2Football/s...469824515?s=20

Quick observation I had as I was there for the entire session. Augie doing more quick drops by the QB..some RPO aspects..and more swing passes and use of the field left to right..versus what felt like a heavier focus on downfield shots in the past. I think this was a potential change that was anticipated, since protecting the QB was an issue last year for the Vikings in big games.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                  Augie peeps....I stopped out at practice on Tuesday. Just posting this now..(pics)

https://twitter.com/WittD2Football/s...469824515?s=20

Quick observation I had as I was there for the entire session. Augie doing more quick drops by the QB..some RPO aspects..and more swing passes and use of the field left to right..versus what felt like a heavier focus on downfield shots in the past. I think this was a potential change that was anticipated, since protecting the QB was an issue last year for the Vikings in big games.
                  Thanks Matt. It was embarrassing watching QB's getting sacked so often last year. The sack artist for USF named "Durfee" was feasting on Augie QB's. Although, I enjoyed the downfield passing it certainly failed in big games with rugged D-linemen. I'm thinking this will be a special season for Augustana.

Questions for Matt. Do most players stay on campus for the summer months? Do they lift weights and have unorganized practices? Are they allowed to stay in school dorms?

Comment

Thanks Matt. It was embarrassing watching QB's getting sacked so often last year. The sack artist for USF named "Durfee" was feasting on Augie QB's. Although, I enjoyed the downfield passing it certainly failed in big games with rugged D-linemen. I'm thinking this will be a special season for Augustana.

Questions for Matt. Do most players stay on campus for the summer months? Do they lift weights and have unorganized practices? Are they allowed to stay in school dorms?
                    Not working at a school, I couldn't tell you all those details..but I would say that from what I've seen in the past, there is a direct correlation to success with teams who can get a over 50% of their guys to fully buy-in during the summer in terms of lifting and getting in work (not school organized). Some schools will get 70-80 plus guys "in" for that..and that speaks to the culture that's been built there. I've never polled coaches to land on a number but I've heard plenty of that talk over the years.

Comment

A nice story by Matt Zimmer in Sioux Falls live online newspaper, covering Viking well attended spring game.

Great day for Augie sports Sunday. Softball won the league title by beating UMD team twice on a cold windy day with large snow piles on Malosky FB field, no dugouts just standing there in winter attire wrapped in blankets. Lady golf team won title in league tourney in MO. on a cool windy day. Baseball team all but wrapped up title with a weekend sweep of CSP at home.

New faces impress at Augustana football spring game - Sioux Falls Live | Sioux Falls news and weather

Comment

Well, what a great atmosphere in Sioux Falls for the Augie Spring Game. Got to catch up with some friends, met a couple of new ones, and got to see how PaoPao's new offense will look. Here are my takeaways, your mileage may vary. Lots and lots of injured players. Some were generally expected type things, some were freak weird things, and some seemed to be overwork type things. From what I was told, most will be healed up in time for fall camp. Players were upbeat and excited even after the game, but that may be due to the end of spring practice too.

7 on 7 was on the opposite side of the field from where I was sitting, so nothing to report on that. Seemed like good periods of work for the 4 quarters of the actual game and a good 2-minute drill at the end of the first half.

We have good quality depth on the O-Line. A couple of freshmen, soon-to-be sophomores are extremely talented and could start now. The future is bright on the O-Line. QB play was shaky initially but was a lot better toward the end. Skills folks were rusty and will be a work in progress but again, the depth at both RB and WR should keep those positions firing on all cylinders. TE position will likely take a step back from last year, but not sure of the size of the step. A regression to the mean would still equate to good production.

The defense was hard to evaluate due to the number of injuries and younger kids playing. D-Line seemed to be getting some penetration, and with the exception of a play or two were able to keep running plays to minimum gains. Was not able to make much eval on LBs or DBs. I know there has been some chatter about the substitution packages, and I did not see that as much during the game. However, if it was happening I was a little distracted by my five-year-old who was not wanting to sit still for long.

Special teams were not special at all and have a long way to go to get to where they needed to be. Fall camp will be busy for punters and kickers.

Good looking class of incoming kids, both freshmen, and transfer. OJ seems to prioritize depth and I gotta say that depth may be super handy if we don't get some of our walking wounded back soon.

The cool and windy day was made completely enjoyable by the folks at the tailgate and in the stadium. The spring game will be a staple for the next few years for us.

Special thanks to a fellow poster and his family for always being so inviting and inclusive, especially for the help with my 5 y.o. Javier, who was so excited to be on campus that he had to take a photo with the Ole Statue on campus.

Comment

Obviously not Matt, but here was our experience last summer. We had the ability to go up pretty quickly after school ended at Augie to begin working in the weight room, but due to some schedule issues on their part and ours, we were not able to get ours up there until the beginning of July. Earlier than that and we would have had to crash on another players' couch until the dorm opened up.

Once we got up there in July we were able to stay in Stavig due to early registration for classes. Got moved in and stayed in the same room and roommate for the academic year. Unfortunately, there was no dining hall service, and that put a crimp in the plans. That is a definite obstacle for out-of-state first-year kids. This coming summer, I can just Venmo to another player's parents' grocery money and that would be an easy fix, but it was definitely difficult initially.

As far as activity, there was some work in the student weight room with a plan devised by someone but not supervised by any coaches, there was some opportunity for voluntary film study again unsupervised, and at one point I think CJ Hamm was in town and several of the players went and worked out with him for a day or two. Pretty cool experience. As far as practice went, I think for the most part it was lots of going over to the soccer field and practice field and running routes, one on ones, with no actual organization at all.

Good bonding and learning opportunity for mine. As he reported to me, there was a significant amount of kids either on campus or living close by that were able to participate in the activities. Pretty sure the highlight was going to eat in the different sioux falls restaurants...at least it seems that way from the receipts I have from that time.

Tend to think that Witt is right in saying that high buy-in equals future success. I only got sporadic dispatches from Sioux Falls, but the ones I got seemed to note a good number of players participating in the different activities.

Comment

Originally posted by WPHB View Post

Special thanks to a fellow poster and his family for always being so inviting and inclusive, especially for the help with my 5 y.o. Javier, who was so excited to be on campus that he had to take a photo with the Ole Statue on campus.
                            Great seeing again! Can't wait to catch up this fall! See you soon buddy!

Comment

Coach OJ bringing in two transfers of sorts. Rashad Lampkin who appears was out of football last season is coming from FCS Ilinois St. A 5'9" 210lb RB. He must be good as he had offers from USF, WAYNE and WINONA.
                              Ishmael Togi a 5'11" 280lb DT is inbound from freshly contracted Simon Fraser U. football program.

Rashad Lampkin (@rashad_lampkin) / Twitter
                              Ishmael Togi 🇦🇸 (@Ishmael_Togi) / Twitter

Comment

SFU kid looks like a high motor guy who stays with plays. We can always use more D-Linemen. Big plus is his already having good playing time in D2. Seems like a good get.
                                Illinois State guy looks shifty and blocks well it appears. Hope after a year off he is rested, not rusted. I have said it before and will continue this mantra...OJ loves to build depth.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X