Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the event everyone here didn't know....it started to become official on twitter recently. (Coach Bagnell's new employer)

I'm guessing he's a pretty valued hire at USD given his success offensively in the NSIC and then also the fact he's been a head coach in D2 also. I'm sure Coach Bags gives his OC (Josh Davis - who hasn't been a head coach) a good person to bounce things off and the experience that comes with having led a football team for 4 seasons. Best of luck to Coach Bagnell.

(Twitter update below)

Coach Craig Bagnell
    @CoachBagnell
    Follows you
    Wide Receivers Coach
    @SDCoyotesFB
    | Montana Raised

Excited to get started! Grateful to be apart of the Coyote Family! #GoYotes

Comment

https://goumary.com/news/2023/2/24/g...egic-plan.aspx

Important section here..

While Jones' first priority will be to hire a new football coach, he'll immediately use his strategic planning and fundraising skills to take the lead role in the newly announced $40-plus million Marauders Athletics Complex that is included in the Phase II of the Vision 2030 Capital Campaign. That project will bring many sports back to campus by featuring a new Game Day Plaza and football stadium with air dome and research pavilion to be used year-round as a multi-purpose facility, seating approximately 2,500 fans on the main grandstand and many more on the berm surrounding the field. Also inside the complex are baseball and softball diamonds and a soccer field enclosed by an eight-lane track and field — all scheduled for completion in the coming years.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing when I read that. This will be his first major decision and will leave a lasting impression. Seeing how he has been to numerous Power 5 stops with good football programs it will be interesting to see which way he swings. Its good to go regional but he may go out of the box here. I would pay money to see a potential candidate come from a warm area and have that harsh Bismarck weather hit them when they get out of the airport LOL. In all honesty I bet this moves quick and a new staff is assembled by spring.

Comment

Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

Looking back at their schedules UMary has travelled extensively with their ACHA status. I never thought of the independent route but that is interesting. Makes me wonder where all the money for travel came from. I am assuming players chipped in for the most part. Not sure of their scholarship packages for hockey. Will be interesting to see where this leads. Out of curiosity what does BSU and St. Cloud draw for hockey? I am assuming they are well received on campus.
          Looks like Minot State's club hockey team has lined up some exhibition games against NCAA D-I teams Denver and Colorado College next year.

https://www.uscho.com/2023/03/02/ach...ec-29-30-2023/
          Millsy

Comment

Interesting, thanks for sharing this. From an outsider looking in, it looks like Mary and Minot are racing to get to NCAA D I status. I know theres been a lot of talk on here about the downfalls of going DI in a sport but this is a very unique situation as North Dakota is a hockey hot bed and only has 1 NCAA hockey program. This will be interesting to follow. I know they said they wanted to go D1 a few years ago.

Comment

Interesting, thanks for sharing this. From an outsider looking in, it looks like Mary and Minot are racing to get to NCAA D I status. I know theres been a lot of talk on here about the downfalls of going DI in a sport but this is a very unique situation as North Dakota is a hockey hot bed and only has 1 NCAA hockey program. This will be interesting to follow. I know they said they wanted to go D1 a few years ago.
              The only caveat to the scheduling is that Denver reached out to Minot, it wasn't Minot that went looking for NCAA games.
              Millsy

Comment

Originally posted by Millsy View Post

The only caveat to the scheduling is that Denver reached out to Minot, it wasn't Minot that went looking for NCAA games.
                Question Millsy, Is Augustana going to Notre Dame for it's inaugural hockey game a big deal or an attention getter for playing a famous football school?

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Question Millsy, Is Augustana going to Notre Dame for it's inaugural hockey game a big deal or an attention getter for playing a famous football school?
                  Notre Dame has had some good years in hockey and is in the Big10, arguably with the NCHC, the best conference in hockey. This year, they are sixth in the seven team league.

So, in my opinion, this is probably a bigger deal because of the name than it is based on hockey. But, it is still a "good get" on the schedule as they are in a top conference and have the name recognition that casual sports fans know.
                  Millsy

Comment

Hey Witt, no rush but when you have a chance how do you see UMary's coaching search playing out? Like you said before its important to have an AD in place in case something like Bagnell leaving happens. It is what it is at this point, AD is in place who has a football background and has been all over the country at power 5 stops so that is a positive. In saying that I know Bismarck, ND could be a tough sell to coaches especially at this point in the season. Its a real unique situation, also if he gets a top candidate can a staff be assembled at this point? I have not heard anything, I just know this is his top priority and his intro presser is Monday. I don't remember a situation like this with NSIC football before.

Comment

Hey Witt, no rush but when you have a chance how do you see UMary's coaching search playing out? Like you said before its important to have an AD in place in case something like Bagnell leaving happens. It is what it is at this point, AD is in place who has a football background and has been all over the country at power 5 stops so that is a positive. In saying that I know Bismarck, ND could be a tough sell to coaches especially at this point in the season. Its a real unique situation, also if he gets a top candidate can a staff be assembled at this point? I have not heard anything, I just know this is his top priority and his intro presser is Monday. I don't remember a situation like this with NSIC football before.
                      It sounds like you might know more than I do about this Mary opening..as I haven’t even seen anything from a presser for the new AD. (It’s not a media market or school that comes across my radar a lot, to be honest)

I don’t have contacts on their staff and things seem to not be getting discussed league-wide, so I think this hire is gonna be like Minot..one that might take a bit and further info might not be easy to come by. I’m not sure the timing is good at all, but I’m curious as to who and when they’ll be getting someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

It sounds like you might know more than I do about this Mary opening..as I haven’t even seen anything from a presser for the new AD. (It’s not a media market or school that comes across my radar a lot, to be honest)

I don’t have contacts on their staff and things seem to not be getting discussed league-wide, so I think this hire is gonna be like Minot..one that might take a bit and further info might not be easy to come by. I’m not sure the timing is good at all, but I’m curious as to who and when they’ll be getting someone.

The AD presser was supposed to be today but it got postponed until next Monday because of weather. He is not going to be working on campus until April 3rd, remote until then. I think the Minot comparison is fair. It will be interesting to see how these two programs build with new Head Coaches coming in at the same time.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X