Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by laker View Post

I've never been to a stadium that made you feel more like you are on top of the field. I've also seen players bang into the concrete on the sidelines. Kudos to the grounds crew who always do a super job of taking care of the grass. After watching the spring game when it was all dead from Hockey Day in Minnesota, those guys are miracle workers.

I hope that they get a new stadium- and that they do it the RIGHT way, which includes the visitor's side- before I can't go to games anymore.
    I agree. I always sit as close to the top as I can for that very reason. And the grounds crew have to be some of the best in the country, their work is incredible.

As much as I love the Blake, I understand why we need to move on from it. I do see it becoming a detriment to the program as other schools start building better facilities. I'm hoping for a GVSU-style stadium with seating on at-least three sides, a big videoboard, the works. We'll see.

Comment

Yeah, they've got to move the stands back a little bit or someone's gonna get killed crashing into the concrete. That's the #1 reason, #2 is to get an all-seasons facility so they don't have to bring in porta-potties after the weather turns freezing. I hope they're able to keep the stands kind of steep and close to the field for that intimidating, right-on-top of you feel. But yes, a big video board on the north end, seating for about 7,500, keep the berm on the south side, get a nice press box / private suites thing going on the west side. It could be a real showcase if done right.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Brookens View Post
        Yeah, they've got to move the stands back a little bit or someone's gonna get killed crashing into the concrete. That's the #1 reason, #2 is to get an all-seasons facility so they don't have to bring in porta-potties after the weather turns freezing. I hope they're able to keep the stands kind of steep and close to the field for that intimidating, right-on-top of you feel. But yes, a big video board on the north end, seating for about 7,500, keep the berm on the south side, get a nice press box / private suites thing going on the west side. It could be a real showcase if done right.
        i

As far as I know there is a lacking of space for Wheelchair and handicap seating. Before I became handicapped I loved going to MSU games. You were so close to the field and could hear coaches talking on sidelines. Yeah concrete wall is to close, as is Winona's end zone bleachers. Saw a player run into those bleachers.

Comment

So the question is are they going to tear it all down and build a stadium to the west on the practice fields and if they do that then it will either have to be a east west or south north stadium. I love the team walking through the parking lots but with a new stadium do u have both locker rooms in the stadium. I really enjoyed the atmosphere at Augie with the beer wagon and the outdoor tall tables. Colorado School of Mines. Very nice stadium but I didn’t sit on the home side but the sight lines there was something to behold. About 4 to 6 para saillers coming down off the hills.

Comment

Most definitely need better handicap access and seating at the new stadium, great point. I don't think there's any reason to move the stadium, especially with the condition of the grass. They should be able to do what they did in Brookings, just tear down the old and build the new on the same spot.

Comment

I thought I heard some years ago that building that steep is against code - though I'm not anywhere near qualified to know for sure. Definitely not ideal for those later season games when things get wet and cold. I'm surprised there were no injuries at HDM given the condition of the stairs in that blizzard.

Something like a mini-DJDS would be kinda neat. They do use that for things in the off-season too, which is cool.

Comment

I've broadcast two Fairmont Section Championship football games in Janesville, a fantastic facility for a town it's size. Seems odd that we pass through a town of 50,000 people to play that game in a town of 1,000 though.
                2500 thank you very much lol, but your point stands.

Comment

So in case anyone is wondering about the recruits, I've seen 4 of them play. Best known is probably Backer out of Chatfield, 2nd leading rusher in Minnesota High School history. Lots of winning in his career. Lloyd from Blue Earth is a big kid but very athletic. He played QB, WR and DE in high school, I think he'll fit in well as a pass-catching tight end. He's a good basketball player and golfer as well, just one of those kids who does everything well naturally. Prochniak from Iowa is a burner, saw him run 11 seconds flat electronically timed in the 100 at the Sentinel Relays last year. He had great numbers this year on a mediocre team. And I see they also added O'Brien from Waseca. Tough, smart player, 3 year starter in HS. He fits well as a strong safety type. All these players definitely stood out to me in high school, I'd say they picked well.

Comment

We already know most of the Mavericks schedule for next year, just from the announcements of other schools:

Sept. 2 - ?
                    Sept. 9 - Wayne State College, Home
                    Sept. 16 - ?
                    Sept. 23 - Concordia St. Paul, Home
                    Sept. 30 - (not officially announced, but it's Bemidji St by process of elimination looking at other schedules)
                    October 7 - MSU Moorhead, Home
                    October 14 - Open week, was Upper Iowa
                    October 21 - at Augustana
                    October 28 - SW Minnesota St, Home
                    November 4 - at Winona State
                    November 11 - ?
                    Last edited by Dan Brookens; 03-02-2023, 12:17 AM.

Comment

September 2nd is vs Sioux Falls on the road. Coach Glo!!!

Comment

We already know most of the Mavericks schedule for next year, just from the announcements of other schools:

Sept. 2 - ?
                        Sept. 9 - Wayne State College, Home
                        Sept. 16 - ?
                        Sept. 23 - Concordia St. Paul, Home
                        Sept. 30 - (not officially announced, but it's Bemidji St by process of elimination looking at other schedules)
                        October 7 - MSU Moorhead, Home
                        October 14 - Open week, was Upper Iowa
                        October 21 - at Augustana
                        October 28 - SW Minnesota St, Home
                        November 4 - at Winona State
                        November 11 - ?
                        Sept 2 = at USF
                        Sept 16 = at Minot
                        Sept 30 = at BSU
                        Nov 11 = UMD

Their open week..#7..I'd heard they'd tried Saginaw Valley State (MI) and they ended up going with an NAIA (St. Xavier)..and then MIAA Central Oky had that same open date but they are staying with Lincoln on their schedule. To my understanding they are still looking for an opponent on what's a tough point in the schedule to find a game. Maybe they look into a week 0 game, but those are pretty uncommon at D2..as a school would need to make a case they'd fully exhausted this week 7 situation and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Sept 2 = at USF
                          Sept 16 = at Minot
                          Sept 30 = at BSU
                          Nov 11 = UMD

Their open week..#7..I'd heard they'd tried Saginaw Valley State (MI) and they ended up going with an NAIA (St. Xavier)..and then MIAA Central Oky had that same open date but they are staying with Lincoln on their schedule. To my understanding they are still looking for an opponent on what's a tough point in the schedule to find a game. Maybe they look into a week 0 game, but those are pretty uncommon at D2..as a school would need to make a case they'd fully exhausted this week 7 situation and such.
                          I hate to even suggest it as I was really hoping to see more non-NSIC games, but there is an NSIC opponent that is not already on the Mankato schedule. If the Week Zero thing is an option that could work. But then again if Week Zero is an option both Mankato and NSU might be able to schedule noncon opponents.

Comment

Yes Matt, I mentioned this in a different thread in my interview with Kevin Buisman he mentioned they reached out to Saginaw and Central OK with both turning them down. Northern would be preferable to an NAIA school (which is looking like the only possibility at this point, but I don't think anyone really wants a 70 point blowout) but I'm not familiar with how week 0 works in DII.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post

I hate to even suggest it as I was really hoping to see more non-NSIC games, but there is an NSIC opponent that is not already on the Mankato schedule. If the Week Zero thing is an option that could work. But then again if Week Zero is an option both Mankato and NSU might be able to schedule noncon opponents.
                              I think Northern State is getting Michigan Tech or N. Michigan for the final week of the season. I just haven't seen anything further about it.

Comment

I’m looking forward to see how Sam Backer fits in the game plan. He’s listed as a running back, however in high school he played more of the wildcat position. He threw the ball some and was somewhat effective but his accuracy left much to be desired. He racked up a ton of yards even though every defense knew he was going to carry the ball. He was also very good at safety.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X