Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan Brookens View Post
    Yes Matt, I mentioned this in a different thread in my interview with Kevin Buisman he mentioned they reached out to Saginaw and Central OK with both turning them down. Northern would be preferable to an NAIA school (which is looking like the only possibility at this point, but I don't think anyone really wants a 70 point blowout) but I'm not familiar with how week 0 works in DII.
    I don’t think week zero is allowed in D2. I want to say I saw that somewhere in this board, but I couldn’t find it so please don’t quote me for fact on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Peacockfan View Post
      I’m looking forward to see how Sam Backer fits in the game plan. He’s listed as a running back, however in high school he played more of the wildcat position. He threw the ball some and was somewhat effective but his accuracy left much to be desired. He racked up a ton of yards even though every defense knew he was going to carry the ball. He was also very good at safety.
      Backer will almost certainly be a running back for the Mavs, but I could see him in a wildcat/goal line package. Ekern and Randall are both back and the staff is very high on the freshman QB from Wisconsin they brought in.

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

I don’t think week zero is allowed in D2. I want to say I saw that somewhere in this board, but I couldn’t find it so please don’t quote me for fact on it.
        Having spoken with veteran AD's about this topic....you can do it, but you basically need to show you've exhausted your scheduling options to the point where a Week 0 option would be granted by the NCAA. There are some other complicators with starting game-play a week earlier..but that's the basics with it.

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

It used to be 12 to play 11, but now you have to be granted a special exception to do anything outsideof 11.

Comment

I should get the old CAD software back out and sketch up some more fantasy renderings! Hopefully, after like a decade of thinking about it, we end up with the Taylor Center of D2 stadiums and not a glorified high school stadium, otherwise what would be the point. And with room for expansion so we don't potentially box ourselves in a corner should we move up a division.

Comment

Looks like I'll need to find a game to go to on Oct. 14th. MSU announces 10 game schedule.

2023 Football Schedule - Minnesota State University - Mankato Athletics (msumavericks.com)

Comment

For Immediate Release March 21, 2023
                Subject:
                Football

Five Home Games Highlight 2023 Minnesota State Football Schedule
                Minnesota State Opens 2023 Season on Sept. 2

MANKATO, Minn. --- Minnesota State’s 2023 season will feature 10 games against Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference opponents, including five games at Blakeslee Stadium.

Since joining the NSIC in 2008, the Mavericks have won eight NSIC Championships, to go along with 10 NSIC South Division Championships. In 2022, MSU went 10-3 as it advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

MSU opens its season with a road contest, as it takes on the Sioux Falls Cougars. Game day and kickoff are to be determined between the Mavericks and Cougars. Minnesota State then opens its home schedule on September 9th as it hosts Wayne State at 6:00 p.m., in a rematch from their encounter during the first round of the NCAA Tournament last season.

September 16th will see the Mavericks head north as they take on the Minot State Beavers at 1:00 p.m., before returning to Blakeslee Stadium on September 23rd as they square off with the Concordia-St. Paul Golden Bears at 1:00 p.m.

Minnesota State concludes the month of September with a road game against Bemidji State on September 30th with kickoff scheduled for 2:00 p.m.

MSU then returns home for its annual Homecoming Game as it takes on the MSU Moorhead Dragons on October 7th, with kickoff set for 2:00 p.m. The Mavericks own a 53-33-2 record during Homecoming games, including wins in their last 11 outings. MSU owns a 7-3 record against the Dragons in their 10 meetings during Homecoming, with MSU Moorhead winning the last outing 10-7 back in 1979.

After a bye week on October 14th, the Mavericks return to action with a road game at Augustana on October 21st, before returning the Blakeslee Stadium on October 28th to take on Southwest Minnesota State. Kickoffs against both the Vikings and the Mustangs are scheduled for 1:00 p.m.

MSU concludes its road schedule on November 4th as it travels to Winona State for a 1:00 p.m., kickoff. The Mavericks then conclude their regular season schedule at home on November 11th as they host a 12:00 p.m., kickoff against Minnesota Duluth.

The first round of the NCAA Tournament begins on Saturday, November 18th.

Comment

Rough way to end the year, to compound on the fact that we are essentially short a game....

Who knows was it cowardice, or finances that stopped the other schools from scheduling MSU. All I know is, I hate this schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
                    Rough way to end the year, to compound on the fact that we are essentially short a game....

Who knows was it cowardice, or finances that stopped the other schools from scheduling MSU. All I know is, I hate this schedule.
                    It's sad that the NSIC flagship football program was unable to find an 11th game. There were or are programs with matching open dates. Makes me think they wanted to avoid a non-competitive game.

Comment

The only reasonable DII week 7 possibilities: Saginaw Valley State took a game against DIII St. Xavier, and Central Oklahoma chose to keep their game against Lincoln for this year. I don't think anyone wanted to see the Mavericks beat some NAIA or DIII team 80-0. An FCS matchup like Southwest got against Valpo would have been intriguing. As is, the Mavs and Bemidji are left holding the bag for 2023.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

It's sad that the NSIC flagship football program was unable to find an 11th game. There were or are programs with matching open dates. Makes me think they wanted to avoid a non-competitive game.
                        More like the opponents did. As far as schools available when the schedule opened up, it was Saginaw Valley, and Central Oklahoma. Not the toughest competition, but they passed for easier games themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Brookens View Post
                          The only reasonable DII week 7 possibilities: Saginaw Valley State took a game against DIII St. Xavier, and Central Oklahoma chose to keep their game against Lincoln for this year. I don't think anyone wanted to see the Mavericks beat some NAIA or DIII team 80-0. An FCS matchup like Southwest got against Valpo would have been intriguing. As is, the Mavs and Bemidji are left holding the bag for 2023.
                          I was thinking Colorado Mesa was looking for one that week as well?

Comment

I just took this from the D2football.com site. I don't know if it has been updated.

Open Dates (d2football.com)

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

I was thinking Colorado Mesa was looking for one that week as well?
                              It appeared that last year and in 2023 the RMAC plays conference games from about W3-W11. Mesa doesn't have their schedule posted. Did you see something about Mesa looking for an opponent?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

It appeared that last year and in 2023 the RMAC plays conference games from about W3-W11. Mesa doesn't have their schedule posted. Did you see something about Mesa looking for an opponent?
                                I must have been seeing things. I could have sworn I read it on here but alas I can not find it. Too bad, I miss a good Maverick vs Maverick showdown

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X