Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Minot State Hockey

Saw this article last night - Minot State will be playing NCAA DI Denver and Colorado College next season; could potentially re-ignite interest in moving from ACHA:

Minot State coach excited to grow program, perhaps possibilities by playing Denver, Colorado College - InForum | Fargo, Moorhead and West Fargo news, weather and sports

There has been some discussion about this and the prospect of UMary as well in the UMary Head Football Coach Leaving thread. As I have seen on some other message boards, the general feeling is take it will a little bit of skepticism since Denver reached out to Minot and not the other way around. I believe this past season, UNLV sought out D-I games with Alaska-Anchorage, so there may be a little more smoke there, although I am not sure how much.

But, it is always fun to speculate!
    Millsy

Comment

Originally posted by Millsy View Post
      There has been some discussion about this and the prospect of UMary as well in the UMary Head Football Coach Leaving thread. As I have seen on some other message boards, the general feeling is take it will a little bit of skepticism since Denver reached out to Minot and not the other way around. I believe this past season, UNLV sought out D-I games with Alaska-Anchorage, so there may be a little more smoke there, although I am not sure how much.

The d1 speculation is fun especially when the smoke starts to rise and in the case of UMary and Minot I think for an ACHA team to go NCAA D1 a few things need to happen;

1. Community support and facilities to support the move, I believe Mary has shown this so far. Not sure what Minot draws or how they are received in the community. I imagine well if they wanted to attempt a move 4-5 years ago.

2. A ton of money, not sure the exact the going rate but I know its not something to scoff at.

3. A conference willing to accept you, or go independent route ($$$$).

I imagine Augustana had some boosters or fundraisers. I know a big reason Marys AD was hired was for his fundraising abilities. (more smoke)

Comment

Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

The d1 speculation is fun especially when the smoke starts to rise and in the case of UMary and Minot I think for an ACHA team to go NCAA D1 a few things need to happen;

1. Community support and facilities to support the move, I believe Mary has shown this so far. Not sure what Minot draws or how they are received in the community. I imagine well if they wanted to attempt a move 4-5 years ago.

2. A ton of money, not sure the exact the going rate but I know its not something to scoff at.

3. A conference willing to accept you, or go independent route ($$$$).

I imagine Augustana had some boosters or fundraisers. I know a big reason Marys AD was hired was for his fundraising abilities. (more smoke)
        It does get spendy when you figure in Title IX implications. If D-I hockey is added, Minot would need to offset those roster spots and scholarships on the women's side. Now, it does not have to be D-I women's hockey, heck, it doesn't even have to be a D-I sport. But if you are going to fully fund a D-I hockey program of 25 roster spots and 18 scholarships, that is an additional 25 roster spots and 18 scholarships that have to be made up on the women's side somewhere (if the school has a 50/50 male/female enrollment).

With Augustana and Mary being private schools, I guess I am not 100% sure how Title IX effects their athletic departments. If they don't accept state/federal funds from programs that Title IX is tied to, they may get around it. But like I said, I am not 100% sure.
        Millsy

Comment

It does get spendy when you figure in Title IX implications. If D-I hockey is added, Minot would need to offset those roster spots and scholarships on the women's side. Now, it does not have to be D-I women's hockey, heck, it doesn't even have to be a D-I sport. But if you are going to fully fund a D-I hockey program of 25 roster spots and 18 scholarships, that is an additional 25 roster spots and 18 scholarships that have to be made up on the women's side somewhere (if the school has a 50/50 male/female enrollment).

With Augustana and Mary being private schools, I guess I am not 100% sure how Title IX effects their athletic departments. If they don't accept state/federal funds from programs that Title IX is tied to, they may get around it. But like I said, I am not 100% sure.
          The article mentions they are ACHA but it's a varsity sport, which I know is done elsewhere - so wouldn't Title IX still apply? I guess I don't know how the program is funded exactly or if that matters. Probably not if it's private donations. But Minot is not a club team, apparently.

If it does apply, obviously the ACHA is a much cheaper alternative to the NCAA - but still.

Comment

Minot explored going D1 in the past and decided not too, but if the ACHA program is as popular as they say, and if it's already a varsity sport - then I do see it as somewhat of a possibility. They seem to like hockey in that area.

Who knows - I hope they do at some point!

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
              Saw this article last night - Minot State will be playing NCAA DI Denver and Colorado College next season; could potentially re-ignite interest in moving from ACHA:

Minot State coach excited to grow program, perhaps possibilities by playing Denver, Colorado College - InForum | Fargo, Moorhead and West Fargo news, weather and sports
              Exhibition games.

Comment

Originally posted by Umdfan35 View Post
                Exhibition games.
                For sure, I should have mentioned that. Still though.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X