Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMary Seems To Have Found Their Coach

Anyone have any ideas?

You have to give Admin and the new AD credit. This has been a seamless process. I have heard a name but its very overwhelming and almost unbelievable so I will wait and see at this point. Regardless I had a feeling this was coming soon as the coaches profiles have been dropping off on the site the last few weeks. Really excited as spring ball has just started and the new coach will have some time to cement a culture heading into the fall. Not sure how the staff is assembled, will be difficult but not impossible at this point. None the less, new era starts Monday!

Comment

https://bismarcktribune.com/sports/c...witter_bistrib

There ya have it..

Comment

https://nsicnetwork.com/goumary/

Live stream for the presser in a few mins.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
          Wow, unreal. Huge hire, worked under Mike Leach (RIP). Really excited for this. Cant wait for his staff to be assembled. What a hire!

Comment

He's from Baker, MT....played for the Griz. (local guy..basically)

Here is his stops....played in the NFL first, then coaching..

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

Wow, unreal. Huge hire, worked under Mike Leach (RIP). Really excited for this. Cant wait for his staff to be assembled. What a hire!
              I haven't had a chance to soak this all in yet..but there's things on the resume that are easy to like for sure. It feels a little outta the blue = no attachments to Mary or the league. (not as if this was a requirement, it was not.

My immediate concern is....is the new head coach required to keep a certain percentage of the staff who's worked with the team up until this point (Spring ball basically)..or is he bringing in his own staff..? It might be nice to keep some of the staff to ease transition, especially given the timing of this all.

It's not going to be easy to find assistants at the 11th hour here..but his brother (Jace) was a standout at Dickinson State and OC there as well. Maybe he comes on at Mary..? He's was with the Griz the last few years as TE coach.

Very interesting hire and looking forward to find out more. I've had coaches reach out to me this morning and say "he's a real good guy".

Comment

I too, have concerns with the timing. I would think admin would let him pick his own staff. At the end of the day, he seems like a great guy who has a high compete level. Mike Leach doesn't bring in random staff members, that stop says a lot that he was there.

Comment

I know little to nothing about him, but I really like the connection to the state of Montana. I've long thought that there are D2 talents over there who are under-recruited because of the lack of D2 schools paying attention to the state. Minot did a little in the previous regime, but not a ton.

Also worth noting, Schillinger is from Baker, in the far SE corner of Montana. He knows there's talent in that region because he was one himself. There's probably many who walk on at Montana like he did who can earn D2 scholarships closer to home rather than travel across the state to walk on at UM or MSU. Same with the western ND kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                    I know little to nothing about him, but I really like the connection to the state of Montana. I've long thought that there are D2 talents over there who are under-recruited because of the lack of D2 schools paying attention to the state. Minot did a little in the previous regime, but not a ton.

Also worth noting, Schillinger is from Baker, in the far SE corner of Montana. He knows there's talent in that region because he was one himself. There's probably many who walk on at Montana like he did who can earn D2 scholarships closer to home rather than travel across the state to walk on at UM or MSU. Same with the western ND kids.
                    Stanger86 you make some great points and I was thinking the same thing. Montana is an untapped state with under the radar talent. His relationships with the state will help recruiting there. I bet Montana Tech and Carrol raised an eye brow when they heard about this hiring. If he can get those fringe D1 players who walk on at Montana and Montana State this could really change the trajectory of the program. Really excited to see how this plays out. I like his compete level and what he said at the presser.

Comment

seems like a good hire.

Comment

Logan Nelson was the Mary QB last year from Skyview in Billings. He was an under rated talent as Skyview does more of the Military Academy type offense. There is a lot of untapped talent in Montana, especially some of the smaller schools. I have officiated HS football in Montana for 20+ years and it is crazy how many kids go on to play at the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
                          Logan Nelson was the Mary QB last year from Skyview in Billings. He was an under rated talent as Skyview does more of the Military Academy type offense. There is a lot of untapped talent in Montana, especially some of the smaller schools. I have officiated HS football in Montana for 20+ years and it is crazy how many kids go on to play at the next level.
                          Does the state of Montana get recruited much by GNAC programs?

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Does the state of Montana get recruited much by GNAC programs?
                            Not really, which I do not understand. MSU Billings does not have football. They used to until 1978 (the name then was Eastern Montana College). Most Montana kids end up at one of the five Frontier Conference schools in the state.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

Not really, which I do not understand. MSU Billings does not have football. They used to until 1978 (the name then was Eastern Montana College). Most Montana kids end up at one of the five Frontier Conference schools in the state.
                              That's what I figured....

I do get the fact that Montana is such a large state that it would be harder to recruit say Billings kids to WOU because of the distance, but would think the fact that CWU isn't that bad of a drive from western MT, you could unearth some gems if you tried.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X