Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

That's what I figured....

I do get the fact that Montana is such a large state that it would be harder to recruit say Billings kids to WOU because of the distance, but would think the fact that CWU isn't that bad of a drive from western MT, you could unearth some gems if you tried.
    Yeah. CWU has some great recruiting fields in the Seattle Tacoma Everett metro area, Spokane, Tri Cities and Yakima. A lot of talent there. I think CWU probably concentrates in those areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
      He's from Baker, MT....played for the Griz. (local guy..basically)

Here is his stops....played in the NFL first, then coaching..

​​​​​​
      Dude ... imagine going from the Tennessee freakin' Titans -- to -- Dickinson State ... in back-to-back years. That culture shock would be unreal

Comment

ha right on the tail end of the boom. Says a lot about his humility and work ethic. Most guys would be bitter their alma mater didnt take them right away. He grinded his way back.

Comment

Originally posted by CheapSkate View Post

Dude ... imagine going from the Tennessee freakin' Titans -- to -- Dickinson State ... in back-to-back years. That culture shock would be unreal
          I get what you're saying...but the guy literally grew up 120 miles away from Dickinson. I think he knew what he was getting into when he took the Dickinson job.

As opposed to a coworker of mine for example, who moved to Marshall from Atlanta, GA.

Comment

I get what you're saying...but the guy literally grew up 120 miles away from Dickinson. I think he knew what he was getting into when he took the Dickinson job.

As opposed to a coworker of mine for example, who moved to Marshall from Atlanta, GA.
            Kinda had the same thought. Baker is a town of like 2,000 (his home town in eastern MT)..and Dicky is like 25,000. In relation..that's the big city.

Interesting hire.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
              Logan Nelson was the Mary QB last year from Skyview in Billings. He was an under rated talent as Skyview does more of the Military Academy type offense. There is a lot of untapped talent in Montana, especially some of the smaller schools. I have officiated HS football in Montana for 20+ years and it is crazy how many kids go on to play at the next level.
              In the Class of 2023, 117 kids from Montana will be playing college football. Only three of them will be playing at the D2 level (Chadron State, MSUM, U-Mary). Interestingly, two of them were high school teammates in Bozeman while the Dragons added a kid from Whitefish.

Comment

In the Class of 2023, 117 kids from Montana will be playing college football. Only three of them will be playing at the D2 level (Chadron State, MSUM, U-Mary). Interestingly, two of them were high school teammates in Bozeman while the Dragons added a kid from Whitefish.
                Great information. I am guessing about 30 kids to FCS/FBS (I can only think of two FBS recruits, one to Oregon State and the other a GF kid to Boston College) and the rest NAIA.

117 kids from a state of 1MM seems pretty good.

Comment

Great information. I am guessing about 30 kids to FCS/FBS (I can only think of two FBS recruits, one to Oregon State and the other a GF kid to Boston College) and the rest NAIA.

As Cat is kinda eluded to here....the Frontier Conference (NAIA) is the big deal in Montana and has been for a long time = for guys who aren't catching on with the Griz and such. To kids in Montana I could see where schools like Carroll College and MT Tech would be more on their radar than D2 schools several hours away. That said, Mary has mined MT plenty in the past with Bagnell, who also was a MT recruit himself.

As the new coach I'm guessing that Shann might be able to nab a few more guys as he knows the path to the NFL as a local player..and to a high school kid that would be easy for buy-in.

Comment

That kid from Great Falls going to BC, Reed Harris looks like a gamer. I have always had a level of respect for the NAIA schools in Montana. They have instilled a great culture and to Witts point kids want to stay home instead of travelling 8 or 9 hours to play at a DII school BUT if anyone can shift the sails I believe Shann can do it. He'll work hard on the trail but his contacts will go a long way.

Article says he is bringing in some vets for his staff,

https://bismarcktribune.com/sports/c...f11458fe9.html
                    Last edited by UMary1; 03-31-2023, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Here's the list of ALL college athletes, that I got the total from, btw

https://406mtsports.com/high-school/...68d1b7c4d.html

I did a quick count, and while I might have missed some, I counted 20 FCS recruits (12 to MSU, 8 to UM) plus the two FBS kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

As Cat is kinda eluded to here....the Frontier Conference (NAIA) is the big deal in Montana and has been for a long time = for guys who aren't catching on with the Griz and such. To kids in Montana I could see where schools like Carroll College and MT Tech would be more on their radar than D2 schools several hours away. That said, Mary has mined MT plenty in the past with Bagnell, who also was a MT recruit himself.

As the new coach I'm guessing that Shann might be able to nab a few more guys as he knows the path to the NFL as a local player..and to a high school kid that would be easy for buy-in.
                        I forgot that Bagnell was a Montana kid from Polson.

Comment

Looks like Mary's top Defensive backs, the Gibson brothers have entered the transfer portal. I would never pin this on the new head coach, just the nature of the beast with the portal big loses non the less, but we are a month in and it looks like there have been no additions to the coaching staff as of yet. Difficult time frame hopefully something is able to come through before the summer but it will be tough.

Comment

Is Jace Schillinger, the QB coach (and former player) at Dicky State his brother or cousin?

Comment

Originally posted by badboyblynn View Post
                              Is Jace Schillinger, the QB coach (and former player) at Dicky State his brother or cousin?
                              Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by UMary1 View Post
                                Looks like Mary's top Defensive backs, the Gibson brothers have entered the transfer portal. I would never pin this on the new head coach, just the nature of the beast with the portal big loses non the less, but we are a month in and it looks like there have been no additions to the coaching staff as of yet. Difficult time frame hopefully something is able to come through before the summer but it will be tough.
                                Which NSIC school will they go to?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X