Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSU Beavers- National Contender

I follow D2 football closely. BSU isnt a perennial power. However, lately they seem to have what it takes this year to make a serious run. They lost to Angelo last year in the final 16 in a 7 point game deep into the 4th quarter. Their QB threw 5 int and that did them in. I can see them making a serious run this year. Thoughts??

Originally posted by cheeser12 View Post
    I follow D2 football closely. BSU isnt a perennial power. However, lately they seem to have what it takes this year to make a serious run. They lost to Angelo last year in the final 16 in a 7 point game deep into the 4th quarter. Their QB threw 5 int and that did them in. I can see them making a serious run this year. Thoughts??
    I am sure the Bemidji fans would love it! Anything can happen, but they're QB back again will be a huge bonus. Hope we meet them in the Region Final this year!

My uncle used to play there in the 80's and man was he excited about their squad last year.

Comment

Interesting to see Alt back at QB again this year. He may be playing with guys that were in elementary school his first year at BSU. I do agree, however, that BSU will be one of the top teams in the NSIC and may make a run.

Comment

Most think of Alt and the offense when thinking of Bemidji. Their defense was lights out late in the year and in the playoffs. They return 9 or 10 starters from the defense. I would put their defense top 10 in the country.

Comment

Most think of Alt and the offense when thinking of Bemidji. Their defense was lights out late in the year and in the playoffs. They return 9 or 10 starters from the defense. I would put their defense top 10 in the country.
          That was going to be my take on them. That defense was tough as nails. If they maintain that, no doubt the will be a team to fear next year.

Comment

Beavers have been slow starters the last few years losing their 1st two games in 2022 to Mankato and Augie and not losing again until the 2nd playoff game against Colorado school of Mines by a big margin. If they are as good as thought of, their 1st real test will come at home with Mankato in week 5. Maybe a 10 game schedule will benefit them as far as injuries go and staying fresh. Beavers do have a new D coordinator and he is a good one from the previous USF regime. Could be a big year for the Beavers.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
              Beavers have been slow starters the last few years losing their 1st two games in 2022 to Mankato and Augie and not losing again until the 2nd playoff game against Colorado school of Mines by a big margin. If they are as good as thought of, their 1st real test will come at home with Mankato in week 5. Maybe a 10 game schedule will benefit them as far as injuries go and staying fresh. Beavers do have a new D coordinator and he is a good one from the previous USF regime. Could be a big year for the Beavers.
              They lost to Angelo State, Mankato lost to Mines but the point still stands.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

They lost to Angelo State, Mankato lost to Mines but the point still stands.
                I stand corrected. Personally I'm not as bullish on BSU prospects this season, seems they have escaped the injury bug the last few years. But what do I know, I'm just a hack with a laptop.

Comment

Bemidji will be a good football team next year, but I think it is probably a stretch to consider them a real national contender. Alt is really good at QB, but he does tend to turn the ball over. He also lost a couple very good weapons in Beaulieu and Frye. The defense will be good again and they will likely be at the top of the conference.

As always, I think Mankato has the best shot at being a national contender. Bemidji, Duluth, Winona, Wayne, USF, Augie, and Northern (yes this is homer bias) could finish in any order 2-8 next year and I would not be surprised.

Comment

I wouldn't consider the Beaver D as "lights out". They did well down the stretch but let's be honest..NSU and Winona both struggled offensively as the year continued..but I was impressed with how BSU shut down UMD..but the Angelo game was nearly 500 yards of offense against them and a blowout loss.

That said, they return plenty and Muhammed at RB might give them an element they've lacked in the run game (without needing to go wildcat, etc). I think it's a legit fear about them having the same potency in the downfield passing game.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                      I wouldn't consider the Beaver D as "lights out". They did well down the stretch but let's be honest..NSU and Winona both struggled offensively as the year continued..but I was impressed with how BSU shut down UMD..but the Angelo game was nearly 500 yards of offense against them and a blowout loss.

That said, they return plenty and Muhammed at RB might give them an element they've lacked in the run game (without needing to go wildcat, etc). I think it's a legit fear about them having the same potency in the downfield passing game.
                      I forgot Muhammed is now in Bemidji. He will be a beast for them and maybe allow them to be more balanced so that Alt doesn't have to throw it around so much.

Comment

Former Beaver Brendan Beaulieu has signed with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

https://bsubeavers.com/news/2023/5/2...e-bombers.aspx
                        Millsy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

I agree with most of your comments. The Angelo game could be viewed a few different ways. Bemidji defense kept them in check for 3 quarters. The "bend dont break" mentality worked great until multiple turnovers in the 4th qtr did them in. Total yards is one measure for a defense, but ultimately it is points surrendered. The BSU defense was outstanding until the multiple turnovers late in that game. The BSU defensive backs (3 all conference in 2022 returning) and D Line (2 all conference in 2022 returning) will be the best in the NSIC in 2023 season.

Comment

I agree with most of your comments. The Angelo game could be viewed a few different ways. Bemidji defense kept them in check for 3 quarters. The "bend dont break" mentality worked great until multiple turnovers in the 4th qtr did them in. Total yards is one measure for a defense, but ultimately it is points surrendered. The BSU defense was outstanding until the multiple turnovers late in that game. The BSU defensive backs (3 all conference in 2022 returning) and D Line (2 all conference in 2022 returning) will be the best in the NSIC in 2023 season.
                            A defense being good for 3 qtrs is irrelevant. I don't get why people grasp at that, as if it matters at all. It's a 4 qtr game, if you can't finish it doesn't matter how long you hung on for. A winless team is always in the game until they're not. "They were right there until they lost."

Comment

Originally posted by Gridiron Bobby View Post

A defense being good for 3 qtrs is irrelevant. I don't get why people grasp at that, as if it matters at all. It's a 4 qtr game, if you can't finish it doesn't matter how long you hung on for. A winless team is always in the game until they're not. "They were right there until they lost."
                              Bobby, did you read the full post? I think you missed my point. The defense was good all day. I believe there were 3 turnovers in consecutive possessions on the Bemidji side of the field. My guess is you didnt watch or follow the game. You just like to jump into conversations and posts and talk ****.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X