Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSIC 2023 QBs

Well it truly is the quiet time of year on the message board. I've been thinking a little toward the 2023 season and the NSU QB situation got me to thinking about the conference as a whole. 2021 saw some of the best QB play ever in the conference. 2022 saw the defenses regain some control. How do the QBs stack up across the conference for the upcoming season. Here is my very off-the-cuff ranking of the QB situation for the 2023 season. I'd be curious what you have to say about your QB room as well.

1. Wayne (Bohn)
    2. Bemidji (Alt)
    3. Mankato (Ekern)
    4. USF (Mullen)
    5. Duluth (Walljasper)
    6. Winona (Paulsen)
    7. Moorhead (Strand)
    8. Augie (Scholten)
    9. Mary (Forknell)
    10. NSU (Vespo)
    11. SMSU (McComb)
    12. Concordia (Cordts)
    13. Minot (Macleary)

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
    Well it truly is the quiet time of year on the message board. I've been thinking a little toward the 2023 season and the NSU QB situation got me to thinking about the conference as a whole. 2021 saw some of the best QB play ever in the conference. 2022 saw the defenses regain some control. How do the QBs stack up across the conference for the upcoming season. Here is my very off-the-cuff ranking of the QB situation for the 2023 season. I'd be curious what you have to say about your QB room as well.

Quick takes without any research or digging here..

1. Wayne (Bohn) - the best all around QB in the NSIC. Can be nearly an entire running game for Wayne in big games.
    2. Bemidji (Alt) - kinda the Brett Favre of the league = gunslinger who takes chances and can be very dangerous..but also will have plenty of picks.
    3. Mankato (Ekern) - High ceiling here and looked as good as any here down the stretch. Needs to stay healthy.
    4. USF (Mullen) - got a feeling this role will be shared with Kato xfer Cam Dean..who runs very well.
    5. Duluth (Walljasper) - an absolute load to deal with in the running game but will need to continue his maturation as a passer.
    6. Winona (Paulsen) - Have a feeling the QB spot might be up for grabs in the battle..wait and see.
    7. Moorhead (Strand) - showed potential last year but hard ask when getting sacked often.
    8. Augie (Scholten) - I fully expect Montana State xfer Casey Bauman to get the keys again..bad shoulder much of last year..I will expect him to be top 5 in their new offense.
    9. Mary (Forknell) - with the pass happy offense of Bagnell seemingly gone..who knows on this one.
    10. NSU (Vespo) - I keep thinking that I'm going to see a new xfer take the controls at NSU. If it's Vespo, he's going to have the best weapons around.
    11. SMSU (McComb) - will need to stay healthy. I think game-mgr is going to be the ask here. Did fairly well with that before injury last year.
    12. Concordia (Cordts) - can make plays with his feet but their offense struggled in general.
    13. Minot (Macleary) - I'm expecting an option offense being their deal in Minot..and Macleary doesn't come across like a fit for that. Wait and see with this one
    (see above)

Comment

I had a lot of the same thoughts at Witt. I think the top 3 are pretty clear and agree Ekern needs to stay healthy for Mankato. After that there appear to be a lot of question marks. Dean was impressive in Aberdeen as a freshman with Mankato and almost brought the Mavs back to beat Northern last year. If Augie can get top 5 QB play I think they will be right at the top of the conference. Whoever plays QB for Northern should have a good supporting cast all around them. If they get good QB play, the Wolves could have a very successful season.

Comment

As a Bulldog fan I'm excited to see what Walljasper does this year. I know he was out last year game one with an injury and it seemed like he was nursing it all year. I want to see what he does at 100% (or as close to 100% a football player can hope to be). Agree with Witt, if he continues to mature in the passing game I love the upside with his size and speed in the running game.

Comment

McComb no longer on the SMSU roster on website. not sure exactly why. I assume transferring

Marcus Martin who was going to redshirt last but then played as a true freshman will be the starter it appears. Strong arm and played very well at the last part of the year. Tremendous upside. He looked pretty good at times last year as a true freshman.

The backup appears to be Tomele Staples who redshirted last year. Hear good things about him, so we should be ok.

Now need a 3rd guy in case of injury. They are high on Kellen Johnson coming in out of Pipestone, but to be fair playing against Mankato State and Augie is slightly tougher than playing against Luverne.

Comment

Nick Bohn is Genghis Khan with a football, a joy to watch unless he's against your team. Alt is an upgraded version of Kyle Saddler. Augustana may have great QB play this season with haunting memories of Zach Durfee hopefully gone. Bauman, I expect,(hope) will be a force behind center, he is tall, has a strong arm and can run surprisingly for being 6"7" The new OC with a unique last name ( Paopao) is well liked by players and staff. It's gonna be a real knock down drag out of an NSIC season.

Comment

Question to everyone is, how many of these guys are on campus right now working with their WR’s and other skill guys. How many are weight training. Summer is a time to get better both individually and as a team. Not every team has the same amount of dudes participating during summer.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                McComb no longer on the SMSU roster on website. not sure exactly why. I assume transferring
                That's a big blow. Nothing on his Twitter profile hints at his departure yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                  That's a big blow. Nothing on his Twitter profile hints at his departure yet.
                  I'm not surprised. Is anyone?

Nothing against him personally, I just didn't see how we were going to keep him.

My guess is he went to a CCCAA school closer to San Diego.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Nothing against him personally, I just didn't see how we were going to keep him.

Well, I'm not necessarily surprised that one of them is gone, but I'm a little surprised that it's him considering he was the starter last year when you take injuries out of the equation.

But then when you consider Martin was an Underwood recruit and McComb was Sauter's, it does make sense...

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Well, I'm not necessarily surprised that one of them is gone, but I'm a little surprised that it's him considering he was the starter last year when you take injuries out of the equation.

But then when you consider Martin was an Underwood recruit and McComb was Sauter's, it does make sense...
                      It's all speculation at this point obviously, but I always assumed he'd be the one to go - Sauter's influence being a big part of that, but he was also a legit D1 recruit. It can be tough to keep those guys if they aren't front-and-center at all times. I don't know him so I don't know if that's his attitude or not, but it had to be tough to pass up some of those schools that wanted him to come here.

Either way, I wish him the best and hopefully his injuries weren't so bad that they were the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Barndog View Post
                        Question to everyone is, how many of these guys are on campus right now working with their WR’s and other skill guys. How many are weight training. Summer is a time to get better both individually and as a team. Not every team has the same amount of dudes participating during summer.
                        Spoke recently from a former Mav from UNO and asked the same question, he said freshmen tended to be more homesick and went home for a month or more. The longer he was there and earned playing time he stayed at school for competitive purposes as he didn't want to lose his job to some upstart. He was an OT weighing 320 back then, now a thin 190lbs. He stayed to lift with other linemen. Also said dorms were closed and not everyone could afford an apartment. He played 20 some years ago. I didn't think to ask him about QBs and WRs.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

(see above)
                          I think Mullen will be the day 1 starter, might be some packages for Dean but I think Mullen will be the overall starter.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Lots going on in these kid's heads. No clue what drives them and motivates them.

I just don't buy into the grass always being greener elsewhere.

And always a gamble going JUCO. He only has one year at a JUCO - no matter what and they all bring in 2-3 qbs so nothing is guaranteed, even at a JUCO.

Known entity here and I liked his play last year- and felt he was going to be a good one.

But wish him well if he leaves. Hard to be a coach these days with the transfer portal.

Comment

Called it. McComb landed at San Diego Mesa College in the CCCAA.

Hopefully it works out for him.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X