Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dixie State considering a move to D1

x
    Last edited by North Ala Screwdriver; 10-30-2018, 04:19 PM.

Re: Dixie State considering a move to D1

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-i-status.html

Comment

Rut roh, can Mesa be far behind? That has been a 'dream' of some admin officials. Dixie has also wanted to do this for awhile. I did not read the feasibility study, but money is a huge issue regardless for any D2 team.

So, if the WAC wants to go FCS for football, I wonder what schools like New Mexico State think? Don't get too comfy, RMAC.

Comment

Total athletic expenses would zoom to over $11 million from the current $5.8 million.

Comment

Dixie is making significant upgrades to the football stadium; adding a topnotch press deck in the near future. The WAC doesn't play football. Dixie would have to play as an independent like New Mexico State which plays at the FBS level. The move makes no sense. Dixie can barely compete at the DII level, not at the FCS, and certainly not at the FBS level. I don't think the that Big Sky conference is looking for any new conference members if Dixie is thinking about playing at that level. A move to DI is not gonna happen anytime in the near future.

Comment

Ha!! They think football can go from $500K now to $750K in FCS operational costs.

No.Way.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobo View Post
              Dixie is making significant upgrades to the football stadium; adding a topnotch press deck in the near future. The WAC doesn't play football. Dixie would have to play as an independent like New Mexico State which plays at the FBS level. The move makes no sense. Dixie can barely compete at the DII level, not at the FCS, and certainly not at the FBS level. I don't think the that Big Sky conference is looking for any new conference members if Dixie is thinking about playing at that level. A move to DI is not gonna happen anytime in the near future.
              It says that the WAC wants to add back football at the FCS level. That would make sense for the WAC's long-term outlook.

Comment

Last edited by North Ala Screwdriver; 10-30-2018, 05:44 PM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

Haven't seen you post for a while. I was hoping you were ok!!

Comment

From what I have heard this is a done deal. Announcement coming in the next few weeks.

Comment

. The WAC has confirmed to Collegiate Consulting it is initiating a study in the Fall 2018 to explore the options and opportunities of starting a FCS football conference

Comment

Originally posted by whodat View Post
                        It says that the WAC wants to add back football at the FCS level. That would make sense for the WAC's long-term outlook.

Comment

No doubt. :smile-big:

That said, the WAC and Dixie would not be saying and doing these things unless some interest has been expressed by other schools. I can't see NMSU moving down, but I could see CWU, Dixie, Mesa, CSUP, possibly Mines, Asuza all moving up. And maybe this is the opening for Grand Canyon to start football, as they wanted a couple of years ago. Maybe even a couple of Big Sky teams move out.

Where there is smoke, there is fire....

Comment

Originally posted by whodat View Post
                            No doubt. :smile-big:

That said, the WAC and Dixie would not be saying and doing these things unless some interest has been expressed by other schools. I can't see NMSU moving down, but I could see CWU, Dixie, Mesa, CSUP, possibly Mines, Asuza all moving up. And maybe this is the opening for Grand Canyon to start football, as they wanted a couple of years ago. Maybe even a couple of Big Sky teams move out.

Where there is smoke, there is fire....

Smoke? That's just hippies in Gunnison smoking weed. :wink:

Comment

Smoke? That's just hippies in Gunnison smoking weed. :wink:
                              I knew if I tee'd one up, you would smack it! :laugh:

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X