Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Playoff game attendance against an in-state rival last year was just over 2k for Mines, and that was with well over a couple hundred Pueblo fans. Frustrating.

Comment

[QUOTE=we$l3Y;n436071]

Last edited by TexasDigger; 11-03-2019, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasDigger View Post

Yep. Agreed ... was also their 'fall break' so a lot of kids went home for the 4 day break. The band wasn't even there playing. The Mines coaches were up front about all of this, how it is Academics first, second and third on the priority list but damn. Just something I will get used to.
        It's not even a student issue, it's a local population issue. Much like Pueblo and other D2 schools though, many of them have no real connection to the college and no reason to support the team. Just the life of D2 athletics for 95% of D2 institutions.

Comment

It's not even a student issue, it's a local population issue. Much like Pueblo and other D2 schools though, many of them have no real connection to the college and no reason to support the team. Just the life of D2 athletics for 95% of D2 institutions.
          The people of Pueblo County do a good job of supporting the pack during the regular season. Playoff are good except around Turkey Day.

Comment

Originally posted by Packfootball View Post

The people of Pueblo County do a good job of supporting the pack during the regular season. Playoff are good except around Turkey Day.
            We agree to disagree on this. :)

Comment

We agree to disagree on this. :)
              Go ahead, but you're disagreeing with real numbers. Heck, Pueblo fans equaled or maybe outnumbered NMHU fans this week in Las Vegas and that's a 3 hour drive each way!
              Sprinkles are for winners!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by GWolf View Post

Go ahead, but you're disagreeing with real numbers. Heck, Pueblo fans equaled or maybe outnumbered NMHU fans this week in Las Vegas and that's a 3 hour drive each way!
                  I'm not sure that's the comparison you want to use to make your point? Great, a program in a much larger city with much greater success over the last decade has as many fans at the game? Congrats?

I'm simply stating that averaging 6k fans in the regular season simply isn't that great based on the product they've consistently put on the field. Add to it the decline in playoff games and I'm not sure why anyone is satisfied with the support of the community.

I'm aware that Pueblo can travel well, although this year hasn't been quite the same as in the past. I have driven to Mesa, West Texas, Chadron, Black Hills, WNM, Mankato, Dallas for Angelo State, Kansas City, and flew to Sam Houston for games...this year has been more sparse thus far for fans traveling but home attendance decent. The Commerce crowd managed to get pretty loud...too bad it wasn't a crowd like the West Georgia game though.
                  Last edited by Turbonium; 10-13-2019, 07:01 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure that's the comparison you want to use to make your point? Great, a program in a much larger city with much greater success over the last decade has as many fans at the game? Congrats?

I'm simply stating that averaging 6k fans in the regular season simply isn't that great based on the product they've consistently put on the field. Add to it the decline in playoff games and I'm not sure why anyone is satisfied with the support of the community.

I'm aware that Pueblo can travel well, although this year hasn't been quite the same as in the past. I have driven to Mesa, West Texas, Chadron, Black Hills, WNM, Mankato, Dallas for Angelo State, Kansas City, and flew to Sam Houston for games...this year has been more sparse thus far for fans traveling but home attendance decent. The Commerce crowd managed to get pretty loud...too bad it wasn't a crowd like the West Georgia game though.
                    I've traveled to games in New Mexico, Texas, Nebraska and all the Colorado locations as well as KC for the NC. I have no skin in the games, just a retired homey enjoying being a fan. One thing that stands out is that the support in Pueblo far exceeds any other RMAC locations. Attendance at Pueblo games is normally 2 or 3 times that at the other fields. The West Georgia/Commerce comparison isn't valid since the WGA game was deep into the playoffs. In fact, I was impressed at the turn out for the Commerce game after the disappointing loss to Mines the week before.
                    Sprinkles are for winners!

Comment

Originally posted by GWolf View Post

I've traveled to games in New Mexico, Texas, Nebraska and all the Colorado locations as well as KC for the NC. I have no skin in the games, just a retired homey enjoying being a fan. One thing that stands out is that the support in Pueblo far exceeds any other RMAC locations. Attendance at Pueblo games is normally 2 or 3 times that at the other fields. The West Georgia/Commerce comparison isn't valid since the WGA game was deep into the playoffs. In fact, I was impressed at the turn out for the Commerce game after the disappointing loss to Mines the week before.
                      Wasn't trying to compare those games, it was just that the fans the were just as rowdy at the end as the fans were for UWG.

Of course CSU Pueblo has more support compared to other RMAC locations, it is surrounded by a far bigger city. Obviously they're going to draw more than Chadron or Alamosa or Gunnison. You're setting the bar too low here. It's like comparing our healthcare system to Afghanistan and thinking we're doing great.

Comment

Wasn't trying to compare those games, it was just that the fans the were just as rowdy at the end as the fans were for UWG.

Of course CSU Pueblo has more support compared to other RMAC locations, it is surrounded by a far bigger city. Obviously they're going to draw more than Chadron or Alamosa or Gunnison. You're setting the bar too low here. It's like comparing our healthcare system to Afghanistan and thinking we're doing great.
                        Remember when Wristen said in the local newspaper that Pueblo should support the football team with 10,000 fans every home game like the first home game in 2008 when over 10,000 fans showed up to see the win over Oklahoma Panhandle St. U. Has not happened since. 6 - 7 thousand is good for CSUP being a H.S. town.

When or if the other schools have a winning program like Pueblo, or Pueblo and Mines start losing consistently then the numbers will probably change on attendance.

Comment

Week 6 RMAC Attendance

1. Dixie State (vs Simon Fraser) 3,223
                          2. Colorado Mines (vs Western State) 2,036
                          3. Colorado Mesa (vs Fort Lewis) 1,876
                          4. Black Hills State (vs South Dakota Mines) 1,597
                          5. Chadron State (vs Adams State) 1,076
                          6. New Mexico Highlands (vs Colorado State Pueblo) 321

Weekly Average

1. Colorado State Pueblo 7,401 (2 games)
                          2. Dixie State 4,193 (3 games)
                          3. Colorado Mesa 3,303 (4 games)
                          4. Chadron State 1,986 (3 games)
                          5. Colorado Mines 1,957 (3 games)
                          6. Western State 1,608 (2 games)
                          7. South Dakota Mines 1,417 (3 games)
                          8. Fort Lewis 1,382 (3 games)
                          9. Black Hills State 1,348 (4 games)
                          10. Adams State 1,086 (3 games)
                          11. New Mexico Highlands 560 (3 games)
                          Last edited by sportsvine; 10-25-2019, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Draw a 50 to 75 mile radius around each school in the RMAC. Then look at population. Take in travel time. School location in the city and how hard it is to get to the football stadium for parking. CO Mines wins hands down for Population. HIghlands wins Santa Fe, but they want to drive down to see New Mexico play. Why I don't know. Lots of small towns around the other schools. I understand advertising is a bit expensive, so they have to use word of mouth. The grapevine is the best source to get fans to your football games when your winning and to keep them away when your losing.

Comment

Local attention from the TV folks on the sports news also helps. We do get that from the Colorado Springs TV stations despite Air Force football.

Comment

Originally posted by Packfootball View Post
                                Local attention from the TV folks on the sports news also helps. We do get that from the Colorado Springs TV stations despite Air Force football.
                                Mines also have to contend with Colorado, Colorado State and Air Force. They have been getting more media attention this year I do believe. Channel 9 have been showing clips at least on their early broadcasts. It used to be they wouldn't even say the score.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X