Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azuza Pacific??

I see that they are 1-5 ... Would like to think that Mines takes care of business but playing them out there with all the injuries Mines currently has kind of scares me. Anybody know anything about them?

They won't be a challenge this year. They just lost to SFU.

Comment

they've been alternating home & home's for the last few years. Azusa was very good a few years ago and this was a good OOC test. now it's just a long distance pain.

Comment

Originally posted by d2 football fan View Post
        they've been alternating home & home's for the last few years. Azusa was very good a few years ago and this was a good OOC test. now it's just a long distance pain.
        Yep
        Last edited by TexasDigger; 11-03-2019, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasDigger View Post

Yep ... hoping GB replaces them with somebody like Ouachita Baptist, Northwest Missouri, Central Missouri, Grand Valley . . . . a team that is challenging. He has Angelo State on the schedule to replace Dixie and that is going to be a good little test for both teams the next couple of years it appears. Don't need anymore cupcakes on the schedule in my opinion. Plenty of those in conference unfortunately.
          I do believe that you can scratch any MIAA teams. they play all conference games the last I knew. Back in 2010 Mines did play Washburn.

Comment

Originally posted by togthorn View Post

I do believe that you can scratch any MIAA teams. they play all conference games the last I knew. Back in 2010 Mines did play Washburn.
            Sorry
            Last edited by TexasDigger; 11-03-2019, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Sorry . . . I was just running thru some teams I've actually heard of and that are good this year. I don't have all the conferences down. My point is that I hope Mines can schedule a decent team that will be challenging and help them get better.
              I do wish they could play a MIAA team. That's one of the best conferences in D2. Northwest has been a main stay for the playoffs for what the last 25 years or so?

Comment

Yep ... hoping GB replaces them with somebody like Ouachita Baptist, Northwest Missouri, Central Missouri, Grand Valley . . . . a team that is challenging. He has Angelo State on the schedule to replace Dixie and that is going to be a good little test for both teams the next couple of years it appears. Don't need anymore cupcakes on the schedule in my opinion. Plenty of those in conference unfortunately.
                Unfortunately, I live in Arkansas... lol. That being said, OBU is a beast. Careful what you ask for! I'd like to see some games with MIAA teams. That is a fairly balanced conference of good teams (now that NWMSU seemingly has come back to earth). Mines had several years playing Washburn. They lost more than they won, but it was a good test and a winnable game. NWMSU or GVS are a couple of those teams that are really good - every year. The good RMAC teams are seemingly really good on cycles.

My point is, there is good tests are one thing (to the degree you can predict what a time will be like a year or 4 in the future - ie Azusa), but playing teams that are more than likely losses is about as bad as playing cupcakes. Except losses can hurt playoff chances or seeding, particularly if they end up being in region games.

Comment

Originally posted by d2 football fan View Post

Unfortunately, I live in Arkansas... lol. That being said, OBU is a beast. Careful what you ask for! I'd like to see some games with MIAA teams. That is a fairly balanced conference of good teams (now that NWMSU seemingly has come back to earth). Mines had several years playing Washburn. They lost more than they won, but it was a good test and a winnable game. NWMSU or GVS are a couple of those teams that are really good - every year. The good RMAC teams are seemingly really good on cycles.

My point is, there is good tests are one thing (to the degree you can predict what a time will be like a year or 4 in the future - ie Azusa), but playing teams that are more than likely losses is about as bad as playing cupcakes. Except losses can hurt playoff chances or seeding, particularly if they end up being in region games.
                  Yep
                  Last edited by TexasDigger; 11-03-2019, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Yep . . . I realize it's a balancing act. Just always believed playing good to great teams in non conference can do nothing but help your team get better. Is winning the conference not necessarily good enough to get a team in the playoffs? I mean, worse case scenario, starting next year you lose the two OOC games to ranked or top 50 type of teams but go undefeated and win the RMAC ... I realize you'll be a lower seed but are you still in the playoffs due to winning the conference?
                    No. Conference champs doesn't guarantee you a playoff spot. Earned access could help if needed but winning a conference in D2 means nothing come postseason selections.

Comment

Three of the four teams you list play in closed schedule conferences.

As far as scheduling, it is tough to assume that a certain team will be "good" in two or even three years. Sure, you can lament that APU is not very good this year, but they have been a playoff team as recently as last year. It is very hard to know years in advance.

Comment

I would tell the team to have some flexibility in cleat selection, and the lighting out there was bad (night games). The field is grass, was in poor condition a couple of years ago, and looks like it could be a possible ligament tear for any fast cuts by receivers. But, they do not seem to have the quality they have had in the last few years. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by whodat View Post
                          I would tell the team to have some flexibility in cleat selection, and the lighting out there was bad (night games). The field is grass, was in poor condition a couple of years ago, and looks like it could be a possible ligament tear for any fast cuts by receivers. But, they do not seem to have the quality they have had in the last few years. Good luck!
                          Citrus Stadium, where APU plays, is a Field Turf surface.

https://athletics.apu.edu/facilities/citrus-stadium/7

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

Three of the four teams you list play in closed schedule conferences.

As far as scheduling, it is tough to assume that a certain team will be "good" in two or even three years. Sure, you can lament that APU is not very good this year, but they have been a playoff team as recently as last year. It is very hard to know years in advance.
                            Totally
                            Last edited by TexasDigger; 11-03-2019, 07:07 PM.

Comment

If Mines start to blow them out I hope Brandon pulls Matocha out a little earlier. Don't need another Mayberry incident.
                              Last edited by togthorn; 10-22-2019, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X