Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HardRockin'Nerd View Post

As much as I love the triple option, it should only be run by service academies or D3 teams who literally cannot recruit good offensive lineman. Kids just do not want to play in that system, so it already puts a further limitation on recruiting that wasn't there before. Academies can overcome this fact by knowing that most kids who attend there already have felt a call to service and just want to continue their careers.

A perfect example of this is UMary in the NSIC. They were a pretty decent NAIA team, but they move up to D2 and are below average. They just got done with a two or three year experiment with the triple option, and they went from bad to atrocious. Like, Minnesota Crookston levels of terrible. Additionally, no large high schools that are typical recruiting spots run the triple option anymore. So unless your team is filled with kids from schools like Winner or Parkston SD, you'll have to redshirt all your first years so that they learn the system. Not to mention you'll never get a good wide receiver recruit again. I'd much rather have my team struggle with the spread or pro style in a couple down years than have them try and fail to become the next ENMU or Harding
    Yeah, I disagree with about all of this. If you think the academies don't recruit good offensive linemen you're out of your mind. It has nothing to do with them not being good. Most kids RS their first year anyway, very few high school kids are ready for college football in year one, even the guys Pueblo recruits. Enjoy never being competitive and trying the same thing over and over...

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Yeah, I disagree with about all of this. If you think the academies don't recruit good offensive linemen you're out of your mind. It has nothing to do with them not being good. Most kids RS their first year anyway, very few high school kids are ready for college football in year one, even the guys Pueblo recruits. Enjoy never being competitive and trying the same thing over and over...
      The comment about not good offensive lineman was specifically about D3 schools not the academies. Of course the academies recruit good offensive lineman, they are just undersized for Division I football due to weight requirements. And when you have undersized O-Lineman, you run the veer or the triple option to negate that disadvantage. This is not the case for schools in Division II. If schools want to switch offenses, they just have to understand that they have to be in it for the long haul and the inherent ceiling that comes with running that type of offense

Comment

Butthole state is the proper name

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

It's just never going to build depth OR trust with high school coaches. Adams State goes after guys in AZ that are only being recruited by FBS teams, like...why? Not everyone can recruit the way the top guys do but there surely is a better way. I don't understand why teams with these shortcomings don't try to run offenses that would allow them to recruit different guys that maybe aren't sought after by Mesa, Pueblo, Chadron. Look at the service academies and what they do with limitations...why is Adams trying to run 4 WR sets and throw the ball all over when they aren't ever going to recruit enough guys to be successful against teams that are simply athletically superior?
            Yep, option offenses allow you to recruit good athletes but they dont usually work well in spread offenses.

Defensively you can do the same by running a blitz scheme out of a 3-3 stack or 3-4.
            I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

This is true about no scholarship money coming from the Board of Regents. I can only speak to SD Mines' situation. The last time I checked the data; SD Mines had nearly the full amount of allowable scholarships. Back when we were in the GNAC, we had the second most scholarships in the conference at 33 only behind Azusa (the GNAC doesn't have the ridiculous scholarship limit like the RMAC). As for the recruiting situation, the recruiting pool of in-state kids is extremely small because very few D2 talented players from SD want to major in engineering. If anything, we have been poaching Colorado Mines' recruiting ground since they can get in state tuition at SD schools. It is about 20k a year cheaper to go to SD Mines vs. Colorado Mines

Comment

Black Hills should consider asking Russ Martin back. Just for like 3 years, or until he's ready to retire. Bring him back closer to home, put some pressure on Chadron recruiting-wise, navigate the university's presidential transition for program support, and stock away some talent for the next guy.

No he wasn't all that successful there in the 90s, but that's in a completely different era, in a different competition landscape, and a different level of support for football.

Comment

BHSU is closing in on their guy.

Comment

Russ Martin? Would be a heck of a hire!

Comment

Originally posted by DIIguru View Post
                      Russ Martin? Would be a heck of a hire!
                      Didn't have all that much success at Mesa considering their resources, support, and facilities. Why would he do well with less of these things? Serious question here.

Comment

It wouldn't make much sense. In four years at BHSU, Martin never had a record better than 3-6 in the mid 90's.

Comment

Does anyone think Black Hills is going to do better than Russ Martin coming off 4-16 the past two seasons?

Comment

Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post
                            Does anyone think Black Hills is going to do better than Russ Martin coming off 4-16 the past two seasons?
                            No, but acting as if it's an amazing hire if it happens also seems extreme.

Comment

https://twitter.com/paddybrendan/sta...39550001401856

Looks like BH has their guy.... Josh Breske coming back to Spearfish
                              4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                              2016 NSIC Champions
                              🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Not a solid hire, but decent I guess. You would've liked to see coordinator experience, but as with SD Mines, I guess the hope is in recruiting, having been part of some pretty good D2 staffs back east.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X