Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Mines

Looks like both South Dakota RMAC schools will be under new leadership next season

RAPID CITY, S.D. ���South Dakota School of Mines and Hardrocker football�head coach Zach Tinker have decided to part ways with the conclusion of 2019 football season.

Originally posted by HardRockin'Nerd View Post
    Looks like both South Dakota RMAC schools will be under new leadership next season
    Hope for the best for both he and his staff. It's a tough job for coaches and their families.

Comment

Bob Stitt just got handed his walking papers. Go get him and let him work the same magic he did at Colo Mines

Comment

Originally posted by DIIguru View Post
        Bob Stitt just got handed his walking papers. Go get him and let him work the same magic he did at Colo Mines
        Texas State fired him after one season?

Comment

Anyone hearing anything about this job in Rapid..?

Comment

Originally posted by DIIguru View Post
            I don't see him coming back to D2, but you never know. If he did, he'd take the Mesa job or go back to Mines (if Gregg Brandon moves on) before anything else in the RMAC.

Comment

Originally posted by whodat View Post

I don't see him coming back to D2, but you never know. If he did, he'd take the Mesa job or go back to Mines (if Gregg Brandon moves on) before anything else in the RMAC.
              He may not have a choice. One-and-out as a coordinator has a bad stigma to it. Be surprised if he got offered another coordinator job, even at FCS level. UNC isn't going to want Montana's sloppy seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                Anyone hearing anything about this job in Rapid..?
                At the weekly luncheon for the athletics department, the search for the new head football coach came up (the video should start right when the coaching search is being addressed). Needless to say, I am extremely concerned with the whole "search committee of one" aspect. The last time a search was held to choose the coach at SD Mines was right at the beginning of the NAIA to D2 transition. The final candidates interviewed/conversed with senior leaders on the team in addition to athletic department staff. I know that the ultimate decision belongs to the AD, but no search committee at all with no input from players? This seems like a recipe for disaster to me. I'd be more comfortable if the AD had some football coaching experience, but he is a former baseball and basketball coach. Not to mention, heaven forbid if the next coach that he alone picked doesn't produce results (Homestake stays in Spearfish), there is only one person on whom to lay the blame

Comment

Originally posted by HardRockin'Nerd View Post

At the weekly luncheon for the athletics department, the search for the new head football coach came up (the video should start right when the coaching search is being addressed). Needless to say, I am extremely concerned with the whole "search committee of one" aspect. The last time a search was held to choose the coach at SD Mines was right at the beginning of the NAIA to D2 transition. The final candidates interviewed/conversed with senior leaders on the team in addition to athletic department staff. I know that the ultimate decision belongs to the AD, but no search committee at all with no input from players? This seems like a recipe for disaster to me. I'd be more comfortable if the AD had some football coaching experience, but he is a former baseball and basketball coach. Not to mention, heaven forbid if the next coach that he alone picked doesn't produce results (Homestake stays in Spearfish), there is only one person on whom to lay the blame
                  HRNerd, good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

For anyone who plays this clip and it doesn't go straight to the football part.... at 37:00 the athletic director comes to the mic, and the question is posed at about 41:20.

To me, his answer about football does a lot of talking without saying much. TL;DR, a lot of people applied, and he wants them to know academics is important at the school.

He's conducting the search unilaterally... he doesn't leave much to the imagination there. It *almost* sounds like he's trying to sell the job to the applicants, rather than the other way around. Maybe that's why he doesn't want a committee mucking things up.

He makes a veiled comment that "in a short amount of time we've done some really really good things to make that position better". Again, heavy on salesmanship, light on facts.

Pretty much the rest of his pitch is fundraising talking points. That's obviously what this club is for, so par for the course.

I would also be concerned about not at least convening an executive committee (3 or 4?) to bring in some expertise, but if he's more worried about good candidates turning him down, than he is about not being able to identify *great* candidates, then this is the approach you take, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post

HRNerd, good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

For anyone who plays this clip and it doesn't go straight to the football part.... at 37:00 the athletic director comes to the mic, and the question is posed at about 41:20.

To me, his answer about football does a lot of talking without saying much. TL;DR, a lot of people applied, and he wants them to know academics is important at the school.

He's conducting the search unilaterally... he doesn't leave much to the imagination there. It *almost* sounds like he's trying to sell the job to the applicants, rather than the other way around. Maybe that's why he doesn't want a committee mucking things up.

He makes a veiled comment that "in a short amount of time we've done some really really good things to make that position better". Again, heavy on salesmanship, light on facts.

Pretty much the rest of his pitch is fundraising talking points. That's obviously what this club is for, so par for the course.

I would also be concerned about not at least convening an executive committee (3 or 4?) to bring in some expertise, but if he's more worried about good candidates turning him down, than he is about not being able to identify *great* candidates, then this is the approach you take, I guess.
                    ON A POSITIVE NOTE: this hire could be a guy whose only qualification is winning, and he doesn't have to check all the boxes required to form a consensus on a committee.

Comment

https://footballscoop.com/news/sourc...hool-of-mines/
                      That's a slam dunk hire for the school.
                      Last edited by mountaineermagic; 12-14-2019, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Great hire. The challenge for Flohr will be to expand recruiting into eastern SD and eastern NE. I'll believe it when I see it, but the NWMSU ties should carry at least a little clout.

Comment

Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post
                          Great hire. The challenge for Flohr will be to expand recruiting into eastern SD and eastern NE. I'll believe it when I see it, but the NWMSU ties should carry at least a little clout.
                          I don't think he can be this narrow minded if he wants to find success. Colorado Mines and their recruiting grounds must be looked at in my opinion. No, SD Mines won't have the resources to directly compete with CSM but they can certainly look to pick up those kids who maybe won't qualify academically for CSM, or those who are looking to start right away.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

I don't think he can be this narrow minded if he wants to find success. Colorado Mines and their recruiting grounds must be looked at in my opinion. No, SD Mines won't have the resources to directly compete with CSM but they can certainly look to pick up those kids who maybe won't qualify academically for CSM, or those who are looking to start right away.
                            Yes, he still has to recruit the Rockies, which is why I said "expand" rather than focus.

Any school with an academic specialty has to cast a wide net, but a school with any sort of reputation academically ought to be able to pull more than six players from its home state. And more than three from East River, where 70% of the population lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Colorado, Arizona, and California have been the biggest focus for SD Mines in recent years recruiting wise. SD Mines has definitely gotten a few kids who were also looking at CO Mines for school. The biggest edge that SD Mines has on CO Mines is the cost. Colorado kids get in state tuition at all South Dakota public universities. It is roughly 20k cheaper a year for a recruit from Colorado to go to SD Mines over CO Mines before scholarships. The discrepancy is even larger for out of state kids from Arizona, Texas, or California. This is crucial as it is rare for a D2 player to be on a full scholarship, and some of the cost will be on the student. The coaches should be pitching it to recruits that there will be more playing time while earning the same degree for less cost. CSM will always have the edge in location and recognition, but I am hoping the gap will close in the future

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X