Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about Mines

We are playing them on Saturday, and obviously we haven't seen them before. What should we expect? Seems like they have a lot of young talent

Originally posted by LionFan View Post
    We are playing them on Saturday, and obviously we haven't seen them before. What should we expect? Seems like they have a lot of young talent
    Very good at QB, as Matocha stepped in as a true freshman. Their All-American RB Cameron Mayberry went down with an injury, but the backup Zeman came in and ran for over 1000 yards in about 5 weeks. They run a spread RPO scheme, but are balanced rushing and passing. They have good size on both lines. Mines has a good defense, but injuries have had an affect lately. I think they had the #1 run defense in the nation. Secondary is decent, but that is the area I worry about the most with Commerce. They average over 40 points per game while holding opponents in the teens. They like to control the ball and win the TOP battle. Ok on turnovers. Not many lost, but not many gained.

How about Commerce?

Comment

Originally posted by whodat View Post

Very good at QB, as Matocha stepped in as a true freshman. Their All-American RB Cameron Mayberry went down with an injury, but the backup Zeman came in and ran for over 1000 yards in about 5 weeks. They run a spread RPO scheme, but are balanced rushing and passing. They have good size on both lines. Mines has a good defense, but injuries have had an affect lately. I think they had the #1 run defense in the nation. Secondary is decent, but that is the area I worry about the most with Commerce. They average over 40 points per game while holding opponents in the teens. They like to control the ball and win the TOP battle. Ok on turnovers. Not many lost, but not many gained.

How about Commerce?
      Commerce has been a tale of 2 teams somewhat this year. All new coaching staff and key injuries in the first 3/4 of the season caused some adjustment troubles. They were a good team but not exceptional, with close losses to Tarleton and Pueblo. The last month has been a different story. Our QB, a D1 recruit and starter as a freshman at Rice who hadnt played in 2 years has knocked the rust off and is a force on the field both running and throwing. Our coaching staff seems to have learned the adjustments they need to make (both OC and DC are in their first years as coordinators). The defense has been lights out. Special teams are stellar. As things stand today, I'd say we are as dangerous as anyone in the country.

Comment

Looks like the weather for Saturday is going to be cold and snowy, with a high of 27F. It should be a great day to run the ball.
        Mines D looked better earlier in the season. A couple of shutouts and a big road win in Pueblo. I suspect injuries have taken their toll.
        Looking forward to a great matchup with Commerce.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrecked Again View Post
          Looks like the weather for Saturday is going to be cold and snowy, with a high of 27F. It should be a great day to run the ball.
          Mines D looked better earlier in the season. A couple of shutouts and a big road win in Pueblo. I suspect injuries have taken their toll.
          Looking forward to a great matchup with Commerce.
          Im hoping I can make it up there, but Im closing on a new house this week. Have to see how things go.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post

Im hoping I can make it up there, but Im closing on a new house this week. Have to see how things go.
            Be safe if so, looks like snow on and off all week starting tonight. Grats on the house!

Comment

Commerce has been a tale of 2 teams somewhat this year. All new coaching staff and key injuries in the first 3/4 of the season caused some adjustment troubles. They were a good team but not exceptional, with close losses to Tarleton and Pueblo. The last month has been a different story. Our QB, a D1 recruit and starter as a freshman at Rice who hadnt played in 2 years has knocked the rust off and is a force on the field both running and throwing. Our coaching staff seems to have learned the adjustments they need to make (both OC and DC are in their first years as coordinators). The defense has been lights out. Special teams are stellar. As things stand today, I'd say we are as dangerous as anyone in the country.
              What happened at rice?

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post

What happened at rice?
                Poor decisions off the field, I believe.

Comment

Poor decisions off the field, I believe.

Comment

He's as polar opposite in style from Luis as you can get. Which on PAPER should actually serve us well up north when the weather can effect the passing game. Whether or not that happens remains to be seen though.

Comment

Weekly preview is posted:

https://minesathletics.com/news/2019...ond+Round&utm_

A couple of notes - Mines beat Midwestern State in the playoffs in 2004, not Tarleton.

And, 22 inches of snow!! Epic snow this week. But, the wind will be howling for the game making it bitter cold in the really high altitude for the Kittens....

Comment

I think it would be a good idea to go ahead and pack the Lion leg warmers.

Comment

Apparently you guys don't know where all we went in 2017 and 2018. ;) We can handle cold.

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post
                            Apparently you guys don't know where all we went in 2017 and 2018. ;) We can handle cold.
                            Just not rain.

It was also 45 degrees with nearly no wind when you went to Minnesota in 2017 so that didn't show much for handling cold and it was sunny in Duluth in 2018. I don't think weather will be a huge factor but these examples aren't the best...
                            Last edited by Turbonium; 11-28-2019, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X