Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the RMAC have a season this year?

Just a question for everyone on here.....do you guys think the RMAC will have a season this year. I understand that there are other areas in the country that are having issues with the virus, but its seems that most of the teams in the RMAC are in areas that are not being hit real hard. Just looking for thoughts from everyone.

Originally posted by crown7 View Post
    Just a question for everyone on here.....do you guys think the RMAC will have a season this year. I understand that there are other areas in the country that are having issues with the virus, but its seems that most of the teams in the RMAC are in areas that are not being hit real hard. Just looking for thoughts from everyone.
    I don't see it happening. Colorado has backtracked on the reopening plan and cases are rising. I also don't see how any program in the conference has the money to properly test players and coaches to the extent that is needed to keep everyone safe. Most teams in the RMAC struggle with basic travel costs, where is testing going to come from? How many positive tests during the season are acceptable? Do those players have to quarantine for 14 days? If a starting QB gets sick he's likely been around the other QBs, do they quarantine too? If a player on a team you played the week before tests positive is it responsible to throw everyone on a bus and travel 3 states away for a game the next week? Just too many unknowns and too many people potentially impacted. Perhaps I'll be wrong but I don't see this going away by the time the season starts.

Comment

This message board seems to lean pessimistic on the question of fall football. Realizing that some schools and conferences have already taken fall sports off the board, I've seen just as many who are actively working toward reopening and restarting. It's sort of a 50/50 proposition if I'm judging off the actions of everyone else. We don't have quite the cultural demand for football that you see in the south, but we also don't have a crazy spike in Covid that you see in those same places.

It's anyone's guess, but gun to my head if I had to take a pick I'd say at least a majority of football teams begin practice in August as scheduled. There's just too much work already underway (athletic training, campus health measures, administration, etc) to get us back to playing, for it all of a sudden to come to a halt before kids even get back on campus.

Whether or not we get a full season is another story.

Comment

CSU Pueblo just started selling season tickets for football with the stipulation that if the season gets canceled the money will go to the 2021 season. That sends a red flag up the pole BIG TIME! They are betting on the diehards getting the money in. they want us to practice social distancing and wear a mask at the games. They will limit the total of General Admission tickets sold. I am not in any hurry to get any season tickets soon. I do not see the RMAC playing football this year. Poor Western State has to put up with the Gunnison County Commissioner's saying that you have to wear a mask at all times when indoors. They had put in place a 14 day quarantine for anyone visiting Gunnison and that would probably be implemented again if the virus gets bad again in that county! Well the rest of the state does not go thru Gunnison! The longest bus ride in the RMAC would be from Rapid City, SD to Durango, CO. 14 hours at best. Have not heard anything from Highlands, but they do not draw very well for football games. We bring more people to support our team to Highlands than they bring to games for the entire year!

Comment

I don't think most on here are being pessimistic, just realistic with the situation we are faced with. Trying to play college football at this time is so extremely difficult (irresponsible?) due to the logistics involved. Just way too many individuals involved and way too little money to make it safely happen, especially at the D2 level.

Comment

BHSU seems to think the season will be played. They just agreed to play Drake on September 3rd (source: Drake Twitter account).

Comment

Originally posted by Lurkingdog View Post
              BHSU seems to think the season will be played. They just agreed to play Drake on September 3rd (source: Drake Twitter account).
              They agreed to play Sept. 3rd if there is a season.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurkingdog View Post
                I mean, until it's canceled you of course have to act as if the season will take place...

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
                  I don't think most on here are being pessimistic, just realistic with the situation we are faced with. Trying to play college football at this time is so extremely difficult (irresponsible?) due to the logistics involved. Just way too many individuals involved and way too little money to make it safely happen, especially at the D2 level.
                  Okay, call it realistic or whatever, but the general sentiment of the board nationwide leans toward "no season", is what I was trying to say, regardless of how you describe their temperament.

That's probably based more on the demographics of this board than on anything else happening right now, and that's fine. I'm not here to change anyone's mind about a future none of us can possibly predict.

I also understand the comment about having to act as if. But if enough people act that way, it alters the reality on the ground. This is why we're seeing spikes in "cases", I think. I'm not saying whether that's a good thing or not, but it's clearly a thing that's happening.

Comment

Thanks for the responses...you all are great!!
                    Here's my thoughts for what it is worth, if they cancel the season, when do they play?? Spring has been brought up which brings a lot of other issues into it that are too many to get into as of now. My biggest concern with a spring season is if a player that is not a senior gets injured, say an ACL or something in that nature, he is out the remainder of the spring season, and most likely the fall season of 21. He will miss almost 2 seasons. There isn't enough time for recovery.

I think they should just back off this season 2 to 3 weeks, have the teams report as of August 6 or 7th (dates to report I believe) and basically quarantine them all together for 6 weeks before they start up, just as a trial run to see how things can move forward. I would think if all teams would do that, it would be a good gauge as to how this will go. I really believe in trying to go for it, as these kids have worked their whole lives to play. In no terms do I think they should risk their health "virus wise", but I do think they deserve the chance to go with the season.

Comment

Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post

Okay, call it realistic or whatever, but the general sentiment of the board nationwide leans toward "no season", is what I was trying to say, regardless of how you describe their temperament.

That's probably based more on the demographics of this board than on anything else happening right now, and that's fine. I'm not here to change anyone's mind about a future none of us can possibly predict.

I also understand the comment about having to act as if. But if enough people act that way, it alters the reality on the ground. This is why we're seeing spikes in "cases", I think. I'm not saying whether that's a good thing or not, but it's clearly a thing that's happening.
                      We are seeing a spike in cases due to protests for whatever the cause, businesses opening back up, and increased testing. However, it's not only an increase in testing as the percentage of positive tests has also gone up. States opened well before coming close to meeting recommended criteria and we are now paying the price across the country.

I do think professional sports will have an easier time making some sort of seasons happen over the next few months, college however is an entirely different animal.

Comment

Thanks for the responses...you all are great!!
                        Here's my thoughts for what it is worth, if they cancel the season, when do they play?? Spring has been brought up which brings a lot of other issues into it that are too many to get into as of now. My biggest concern with a spring season is if a player that is not a senior gets injured, say an ACL or something in that nature, he is out the remainder of the spring season, and most likely the fall season of 21. He will miss almost 2 seasons. There isn't enough time for recovery.

I think they should just back off this season 2 to 3 weeks, have the teams report as of August 6 or 7th (dates to report I believe) and basically quarantine them all together for 6 weeks before they start up, just as a trial run to see how things can move forward. I would think if all teams would do that, it would be a good gauge as to how this will go. I really believe in trying to go for it, as these kids have worked their whole lives to play. In no terms do I think they should risk their health "virus wise", but I do think they deserve the chance to go with the season.
                        How are you going to have college kids quarantine together for 6 weeks prior to starting up ? Many live at home, or with other students, where do they go and who pays for it? The logistics of this is too long to even get into. It is really too bad for all involved but it's the reality of the country at the moment. I think we might end up seeing a domino effect after the Ivy League cancelled their fall sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

We are seeing a spike in cases due to protests for whatever the cause, businesses opening back up, and increased testing. However, it's not only an increase in testing as the percentage of positive tests has also gone up. States opened well before coming close to meeting recommended criteria and we are now paying the price across the country.

I do think professional sports will have an easier time making some sort of seasons happen over the next few months, college however is an entirely different animal.
                          Based on the actions you described, and others, I don't think we, as a nation, believe we're really paying a price big enough to justify reversing course at this point. Not saying we should/shouldn't... it's just where I think we are collectively.

Comment

Comment

Thanks to the Ivy League, the pressure is on for the other conferences to make a decision on fall sports, yea or nay. Those teams that scheduled a non conference game with them just got kicked in the mouth. I give it until around the 15 of July for the rest to follow suit.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X