Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scouting CMU

Colorado Mesa has a 20 minute video previewing the season and the game Saturday.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3bJ...ture=emb_title

Coach Jackson seems pretty confident. Talking his team up pretty high.
    Quarterback Aaron Howard seems to be the guy. He was the most efficient QB last year but didn't clinch the starting job for some reason. Mav folks help me out, was he dinged up halfway through the year, or was he just not the man for the job? He got a few starts, but really didn't seem like a natural fit for Martin's offense and missed week 9 entirely. The fact he wasn't chosen to represent the team or that they didn't say much about him I think says something.

Maestas is the RB on the video. Seems like a great all-around athlete. Decent size, solid back. I would expect them to lean heavily on him. OC Nick Fulton has balanced and effective offenses, but given the QB situation, and the graduation of Anderson, and the fact that a junior tight end is a captain, we should see a heavy dose of the run from them.

Which puts the spotlight on the O-line. Not sure what happened to their all-conference sophomore from last year, but two guys return who have started games in the past. Coach Jackson said that all five are new starters, but that he thinks they're an improvement over last year. Brought in a sophomore who played at Northern Colorado last year.

On defense is where the Mavericks should excel. Damar'ren Mitchell is back after (I think) he got injured in preseason last year. Reed Rowan is an all-conference DL from last year. Dirion Hutchins (DL), Remington Green (LB), and Bryant Bowen (LB) are all D1 transfers. Hutchins and Green from FBS teams, and Bowen from Jacksonville, which shut down football after 2019. Coach talked on the video about Brian Rattery, a "large human being".

Two of their top 3 ballhawks from last year, Justin White and Nick Ciccio, are inexplicably missing from the roster this year. Devante Loggins and Mitchell should be excellent DBs. They added several JuCo transfers in the defensive backfield. Not sure what they're going to look like on D.

Looking forward to seeing what they can do on Saturday. Mesa folks feel free to jump in and add what you've seen or correct my misinformation. I'm just scouting on the internet and couldn't find any video of the scrimmage.

Could be interesting with a GA calling the Defense....

Comment

Interesting thread. It's trivial but I was bummed out that the Mavs changed to white helmets, joining Highlands, SD Mines and Pueblo.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagles Fly View Post
        Could be interesting with a GA calling the Defense....
        LOL he does look like a baby. I assumed that Jackson would be in control of the defense, for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by mountaineermagic View Post
          Interesting thread. It's trivial but I was bummed out that the Mavs changed to white helmets, joining Highlands, SD Mines and Pueblo.
          I had always wanted to see Pueblo go with an all black uniform with flat black helmets and red T Wolf logo. If only they had D1 money.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

I had always wanted to see Pueblo go with an all black uniform with flat black helmets and red T Wolf logo. If only they had D1 money.
            That would look pretty cool. The Falcons did a good job with matte black helmets this year. Now that Dixie is away you guys could be the only red helmet in the conference. I just remembered Adams has white helmets too. I have no idea how they afforded all their combinations.

Comment

Nick Ciccio transferred to Northern Colorado. Really too bad.

Comment

Mavericks are the biggest they have been in many, many years. Very glad to see that, I think that has been a problem for them over the last number of seasons. Who knows on everything else, with such little time to prep and a brand new staff, execution is what matters. But size and strength does intimidate. Should be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Sprinkles are for winners!

Comment

Yeah. Unless black is one of your colors. CWU is Crimson and Black. We have Black helmets and Crimson helmets. We have various combos for unis using black, crimson, and white. I am okay in that case having an all black look.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X