Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the RMAC invite the 3 remaining GNAC football schools

Lets hear the pro and cons. Schools like Highlands, Ft. Lewis, Adams St. and Western will have a hard time with finding $ for the trips to the northwest. HIghlands will have the worst time having to bus to ABQ (3 hours) or COS (4 hours) then fly. They only use 1 bus for away games. The other schools should be ok, but it will be tight. Then you have to look at getting passports for the games at Simon Frazier, and fly into Vancouver, CN. For those of us that like to drive to games, we will have to over night in Idaho or Utah. 750 to 800 miles a day is my limit on driving. But I can do 1100 if necessary. But first will the RMAC even invite the Last football schools in the GNAC? Logistics will be the determining factor. Currently the RMAC uses busses to away games. CSU Pueblo has flown in the past to games in Texas, but has had to raise funds to make this happen. I guess student fees would have to increase at the schools. The invite probably wont happen this 2021 or 2022. Got to get over the Covid issue first.

As a GNAC guy, I'd love to see it but can understand why the RMAC would not do it. I think the only way to do it would be to have each team only make one GNAC road trip per year. I'm bad at math, but let's see if this works:

10 RMAC teams
    3 GNAC teams

GNAC teams CWU, WOU, SFU, play each other twice home and way. Four games. They need six games to fill.

RMAC has 10 teams, right: four RMAC-GNAC games are played. RMAC teams only travel once per year to the west coast, and they host one GNAC team when possible, for an 11-game slate.

So CWU, for example, would host Mesa and Western State; and travel to Pueblo and Adams, or something like that. WOU would go to Mines and Chadron and host Lewis and Highlands, etc. SFU would host 2 and go to two.

Each GNAC team would have to come up with 2 or 3 non-conference games.

Someone could break that down better than me, but with a fairly large conference it seems like an RMAC school would only have to go on the road once during the season to a GNAC school.

Comment

I see zero benefit to the RMAC to do this. It would likely eliminate OOC games as well which some RMAC schools have really been aggressive with of late, both Mines and Pueblo have some D2 game of the week type match-ups set for the next several years.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
        As a GNAC guy, I'd love to see it but can understand why the RMAC would not do it. I think the only way to do it would be to have each team only make one GNAC road trip per year. I'm bad at math, but let's see if this works:

10 RMAC teams
        3 GNAC teams

GNAC teams CWU, WOU, SFU, play each other twice home and way. Four games. They need six games to fill.

RMAC has 10 teams, right: four RMAC-GNAC games are played. RMAC teams only travel once per year to the west coast, and they host one GNAC team when possible, for an 11-game slate.

So CWU, for example, would host Mesa and Western State; and travel to Pueblo and Adams, or something like that. WOU would go to Mines and Chadron and host Lewis and Highlands, etc. SFU would host 2 and go to two.

Each GNAC team would have to come up with 2 or 3 non-conference games.

Someone could break that down better than me, but with a fairly large conference it seems like an RMAC school would only have to go on the road once during the season to a GNAC school.
        Schools like Highlands and Ft. Lewis probably will never get to the scholarship level allowed by D2. They can't afford it. How do you expect them to pack up and fly to the Pacific Northwest. They are bottom dwellers in the conference. Adams and Western are not much better. Not so sure about the S.D. schools. Pueblo, Co Mines, Mesa and Chadron are the only schools doing OK within the RMAC. But they have OOC games lined up for the next few years, even out of region. The bottom dwellers hopefully get an FCS $ game or two to help with expenses. Then the long bus ride to Montana or SFA and get the snot kicked out of them. I just don't see it happening with games against CWU, WOU and SFU even though I would love the road trips by car.

Comment

I love the Pacific Northwest. But as much as I would love the trips, the money for travel is just so very large and doesn't seem realistic. And then it kills OOC which why would CSU-P and CO Mines (or even Mesa and Chadron) want that? If the three GNAC schools are to survive as D2 football teams, the only thing I can imagine is adding RMAC to the LSC scheduling alliance.So if CWU, WOU and SFU played each other twice, they would need 7 other games each year. Their are 18 football schools between the RMAC and the LSC. I suppose they could find a way to make that work. Especially if the GNAC teams were amiable to 5 home 6 away every year. I have a bad feeling this ends with CWU and WOU dropping football and SFU switching to USports. Get ready to punt on 3rd down SFU.
          Last edited by MinnequaFats; 12-18-2020, 05:22 PM.

Comment

A secondary discussion point to travel expenses in expansion would be how confident the RMAC is in keeping Highlands and Adams from the Lone Star. It would be a long shot for the Grizzlies, but was discussed a couple of years ago. No idea how the northern schools feel about their situation in the RMAC. Adding on before losing a school might be a good strategy.

One additional idea could be to play at neutral sites, halfway like Boise, Salt Lake. That's probably far fetched though, but it would create a footprint in non RMAC states for recruiting.
            Last edited by mountaineermagic; 12-18-2020, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mountaineermagic View Post
              A secondary discussion point to travel expenses in expansion would be how confident the RMAC is in keeping Highlands and Adams from the Lone Star. It would be a long shot for the Grizzlies, but was discussed a couple of years ago. No idea how the northern schools feel about their situation in the RMAC. Adding on before losing a school might be a good strategy.

One additional idea could be to play at neutral sites, halfway like Boise, Salt Lake. That's probably far fetched though, but it would create a footprint in non RMAC states for recruiting.
              Pocatello. ID is a nice town. 2 major interstates highways. US20/30 will take ya to Little America, WY. Very scenic drive if you don't like to go thru SLC. That would be about halfway for most schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Packfootball View Post

Pocatello. ID is a nice town. 2 major interstates highways. US20/30 will take ya to Little America, WY. Very scenic drive if you don't like to go thru SLC. That would be about halfway for most schools.
                Yea Idaho is a cool state. I really enjoyed driving north from Boise to Lewiston on a trip to see WSU in Pullman. The Florence River is spectacular near McCall.

Pocatello would work well with the Holt Dome, especially for late season games with inclement weather.

Comment

I would say the neutral site idea is a non starter. Travel expenses for everyone, no home game revenue and cost of renting facility. I do hope those 3 work it out. I hate seeing D2 programs go away.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnequaFats View Post
                    I would say the neutral site idea is a non starter. Travel expenses for everyone, no home game revenue and cost of renting facility. I do hope those 3 work it out. I hate seeing D2 programs go away.
                    So Sorry. Just dreaming for the GNAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Packfootball View Post

So Sorry. Just dreaming for the GNAC.
                      I am sad for the GNAC too. CWU seems to be a great program, but they're just so far away.

Comment

Highlands ruled out a move to the LSC, as I recall, in part because the travel expenses in the LSC wouldn't appear to be that much better than the RMAC, especially for sports outside of football (where the footprint NOW extends as far as Laredo and northwards into Fort Smith, AR).
                        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Yea Idaho is a cool state. I really enjoyed driving north from Boise to Lewiston on a trip to see WSU in Pullman. The Florence River is spectacular near McCall.

Pocatello would work well with the Holt Dome, especially for late season games with inclement weather.
                          Yes, facility rental and availability would be an issue. But I don't think this should be ruled out at all. Even though it was a pain to go to Silver City New Mexico, it was still something teams did for many years in the RMAC. Frankly, Pocatello is really about the same distance, and probably more accessible via highways. Since Kearney is gone, this would be a doable (but long) bus ride, except for probably Highlands. Personally, I think the two leagues and the NCAA should work to make this happen. Much more feasible than anything else for the GNAC, IMO. It would enhance the competitiveness of the RMAC, and give the GNAC a fighting chance to survive.

Comment

Oh, and Merry Christmas!!

Comment

Originally posted by whodat View Post

Yes, facility rental and availability would be an issue. But I don't think this should be ruled out at all. Even though it was a pain to go to Silver City New Mexico, it was still something teams did for many years in the RMAC. Frankly, Pocatello is really about the same distance, and probably more accessible via highways. Since Kearney is gone, this would be a doable (but long) bus ride, except for probably Highlands. Personally, I think the two leagues and the NCAA should work to make this happen. Much more feasible than anything else for the GNAC, IMO. It would enhance the competitiveness of the RMAC, and give the GNAC a fighting chance to survive.
                              Yea, I think it would take some creativity like cycling home/road/neutal every three years for schools. It would also likely create two divisions. Merry Christmas to all!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X