Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western @ Adams and week 3 thoughts

Hats off to KSKP for a great broadcast from Alamosa.https://rmacnetwork.com/adamsstate/ Feel badly for opposing announcers with Western's numbers. Sloppy game for the Mountaineers with penalties and interceptions. 17-10 WCU at the end of the 3rd. What a blowout from Durango with CSM winning 76-0 and giving up 15 yards. I guess FLC can only go up, but its getting ugly.

Chadron wins
    Pueblo holds on late
    Mesa pulls away in Vegas

Comment

Easily the worst team Pueblo has had in a long time. Completely dominated at the LOS, zero offensive rhythm and the defense is lacking the swagger that they had in the past. The one impressive TD by Pueblo was obviously out of bounds too, they can thank RMAC refs for that one or they might be looking at an 0-3 record. I can very much see them losing 3 more games this year. Should be the year that Chadron finally beats them that's for sure. I thought Highlands would show they're for real and come away with a win today, they're improved but not by that much I guess. Pretty interested in Mines vs West Texas next week, should be a bit more of a test for Mines than they've had so far this year but it's a must win if they want to take that next step.

Comment

24-10 WCU Final from Alamosa. The curse is over.

Comment

Watched about 1/4 of Mesa-Highlands, 1/2 of Pueblo-Black Hills, and most of Chadron-Sd Mines. Tracked live stats on Western-Adams.

I think we have to take Mesa, or at least their offense seriously. That game was a dogfight through three quarters, but Mesa showed it could carry the fight for 60 whole minutes. I liked both team's offensive line play in this game, and Highlands showed pluck, but Karst Hunter was the difference in the game.

I don't know what to make of CSUP-BHSU. BH definitely had more of an edge to them on both sides of the ball than I saw last fall. Yellow Jacket front seven playing with more aggressiveness. The quarterback has some athleticism. Their top 2 or 3 receivers are for real. BHSU coaches made some stupid decisions though too in the second half. Not kicking a field goal from the Pueblo 4. Accepting a penalty to make it 2nd and 5 in their own red zone when declining would have made it 1st and 20 at the 34. And you know it's going to be run-run-run, which Pueblo only did slightly better than in its first two games.

One thing Pueblo seems missing from years past is a size advantage. I didn't see the difference between the two teams physically that I'm used to seeing, other than maybe the Pueblo OL. Obviously trying to play 2nd and 3rd string QBs doesn't bode well over a whole season. They were definitely limited in what they could call. It'll be a long season if that remains the case. Pueblo had one great goal line stand in the second half, but gave up a lot of yards to get there.

Chadron offense still hasn't completely come into regular season form. They've had so much better success the past three years, but I'm ready to say the defense is much improved. If they can keep holding opponents to around 20 points while making the weekly progress they have on offense, they're still in the hunt. I don't know why, with all the experience they returned, it's been such a slow start to the season, but they're subbing in and out like crazy, especially on defense. Unlike most teams, I don't think they've played a bad opponent yet. Next week is a must-win. Heck, the next three are must-wins.

South Dakota Mines seems improved on defense as well. #49 Kyante Christian can be a wrecking ball up front. Linebacker Peterson is capable as well. I don't know whether their secondary will stand up to some of the better offenses. CSC might have had their best yards per pass attempt since Holst has been quarterback. If Christian is double teamed, as he eventually was frequently handled, it's going to be tough for them to stop the pass. Despite Johanssen's really good ability to pull off a handoff fake, they're just hampering themselves doing that 10 times a game when they have an all-conference RB and we know he's an average passer.

Western is still hard to figure. I didn't watch tonight, but when I have seen them play, it's been as good of any defense I've seen in the RMAC. But the only time they've scored more than 24 points has been against the worst team in the league.

Edit: I forgot Western played WNMU last week, not Fort Lewis. That one is next weekend. Still WNMU doesn't look so hot either.
          Last edited by ccmoney8; 09-19-2021, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mountaineermagic View Post
            24-10 WCU Final from Alamosa. The curse is over.
            I was curious about the curse so I looked up some stuff. The last Western coach to win in Alamosa was Carl "Duke" Iverson, right? And then he left for Western Oregon the following spring. And then almost exactly 20 years later, he dies. So given the odd timing of his departure (coaches usually change jobs over the winter) and the fact that Western was cursed the remainder of his life...

Iverson curse, yea or nay?

Tinfoil hat on. I realize he did eventually return as OC, but under a different administration.

Comment

Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post

I was curious about the curse so I looked up some stuff. The last Western coach to win in Alamosa was Carl "Duke" Iverson, right? And then he left for Western Oregon the following spring. And then almost exactly 20 years later, he dies. So given the odd timing of his departure (coaches usually change jobs over the winter) and the fact that Western was cursed the remainder of his life...

Iverson curse, yea or nay?

Tinfoil hat on. I realize he did eventually return as OC, but under a different administration.
              That's an interesting theory. I hadn't heard or thought that of it before. I just labeled it a curse for the ways Western lost in heartbreaking ways like 2013 and especially 2015. Just glad that they can move on to 3-0 and start thinking about the top team in two weeks.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X