Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chadron State Football

They really should consider making a change. Jay Long has lost total control of his team. Numerous personal foul penalties, and frankly, it don't look like they are even playing hard anymore.

I'd just like to know what's up with the radio station. There's 2 minutes left, seven point game, with CSC getting the ball back, and they've been on an ad loop for 15 minutes straight.

Comment

Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post
      I'd just like to know what's up with the radio station. There's 2 minutes left, seven point game, with CSC getting the ball back, and they've been on an ad loop for 15 minutes straight.
      Chadron State lost. Turned the ball on downs with about 1 min left, and couldn't even cross mid-field.

Comment

Meh. I rewatched some of it and looked at the play by play. There was literally one personal foul on CSC. It was a bad block called on a punt return on the opposite side of the field from the return. A block away from the play.

Two unsportsmanlikes called on CSC, if that's what you're referencing as personal fouls. I rewatched them. One was weird where a guy didn't even address the other team or the refs. Just did the normal flexing to his own side after the play. Another was a kid which obviously deserved it for accosting the refs after a play.

Comment

Chadron State has a long tradition of winning football. Prior to Jay Long's tenure, during Brad Smith (who coached in the 80's through the 90's) and Bill O'Boyle (who coached those great playoff teams but departed in scandal), it just seems that the team has receded to irrelevancy. This year, they have a 5th year senior quaterback, but frankly, their offense sucks. Usually, the defense is sometime of a liability (at least during the Long years) but this year the defense actually pretty good, but the offense is terrible.

I just feel it's time for a change. Long is in his 10th year (10 years already?!), and it seems to me, once the O'Boyle effect has worn off (O'Boyle's recruits graduating), Long has gone 29-29 since 2015.

Perhaps, however times have truly changed. Chadron is in a difficult area to recruit to if you want to be relevant nationally, and relevant even in conference. Maybe .500 football is what can be realistically expected for Chadron State (long term). But they sure had lots of fun, great teams throughout the years, especially the 1990's and 2000s.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by sportsvine View Post
              Chadron State has a long tradition of winning football. Prior to Jay Long's tenure, during Brad Smith (who coached in the 80's through the 90's) and Bill O'Boyle (who coached those great playoff teams but departed in scandal), it just seems that the team has receded to irrelevancy. This year, they have a 5th year senior quaterback, but frankly, their offense sucks. Usually, the defense is sometime of a liability (at least during the Long years) but this year the defense actually pretty good, but the offense is terrible.

I just feel it's time for a change. Long is in his 10th year (10 years already?!), and it seems to me, once the O'Boyle effect has worn off (O'Boyle's recruits graduating), Long has gone 29-29 since 2015.

Perhaps, however times have truly changed. Chadron is in a difficult area to recruit to if you want to be relevant nationally, and relevant even in conference. Maybe .500 football is what can be realistically expected for Chadron State (long term). But they sure had lots of fun, great teams throughout the years, especially the 1990's and 2000s.
              This is the crux of college football at every level.

You have to be a guy who can coach
              - Have a solid game plan, in general and week to week
              - Be able to make in game adjustments

You have to get a good staff
              - Coach kids up
              - Able to take game plans and make them happen
              - Able to connect with kids, as they are often the buffer for the head coach
              - Pay them D2 salaries

You have to be able to recruit
              - Get kids who should be playing college ball
              - Not waste the talent of exceptional players you get on campus
              - Make them believe in your program, your direction, your goals
              - Year, after year, after year....

All of the non-coaching things
              - Relationships on campus
              - Relationships with HS coaches
              - Relationships with other coaches (ideas, staff, etc.)

It's hard to find guys who are good at all of these things. It's hard to find a guy who is actually a good OC / DC but has the goods to be a good HC.

No way Florida State should be this bad, at the largest D1 level. At the same time, how is Coastal Caroline doing what they're doing?

CU had been on a great run, then brought in Hawkins and the program has never been the same.

It's just hard to do. And you put the limitations of D2 football and the RMAC into the mix... To me, this is why only a couple of D2 programs are real contenders every year - they have that coach who is who good enough at this whole list and hasn't moved on to greener pastures.

Comment

I've been to every city in the RMAC and I cannot imagine wanting to spend my college years in Chadron, NE.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnequaFats View Post
                  I've been to every city in the RMAC and I cannot imagine wanting to spend my college years in Chadron, NE.
                  Truth.

Comment

I played my college ball in the RMAC in a "better city" than Chadron. But if I could have gone to the regional finals 2x during my playing days (harkening back to the Danny Woodhead days), I would have signed up for 4 years in Chadron, NE.

Comment

Originally posted by d2-football-fan View Post

I played my college ball in the RMAC in a "better city" than Chadron. But if I could have gone to the regional finals 2x during my playing days (harkening back to the Danny Woodhead days), I would have signed up for 4 years in Chadron, NE.
                      Danny Woodhead was a homeschooled kid from Scottsbluff. He didn't know any better than to spend 4 years in Chadron.

Comment

Danny Woodhead was a homeschooled kid from Scottsbluff. He didn't know any better than to spend 4 years in Chadron.
                        My point is less about individuals, other than referencing his very successful tenure at CSC, and more about kids wanting to win. Danny had teammates, who weren't homeschooled or from Scottsbluff, but they got to enjoy the same collegiate success he did. They have a lifetime of stories and memories. Good coaches make that happen, regardless of the town, the state, etc. I mean, you can't convince me that Maryville, MO is the greatest oasis in the midwest. Kids go there to play successful college football. They also have had a great run of great coaches - who recruit well, run a good program, develop kids and have success. THAT is the point. Chadron sucks compared to Denver, Durango, Gunnison (pick a few others, just from the RMAC) if you just are comparing cities. But, kids will go if you can give them a great experience, in this case playing football.

Comment

Woodhead grew up in North Platte, a lot different than Scottsbluff. He had a burning desire to at least get a PWO from Nebraska, since he was Nebraska's H.S. player of the year. But it did not happen. His brother was already playing for Chadron, so that is where he went. I'm quite certain he knew what Chadron was about.

Chadron was an RMAC powerhouse, even before the Woodheads. They had a running back before Danny by the name of Forester ("run forester run") who was good. They had great QB in the very early 2000s (can't remember his name) who was an absolute blood sucking slayer. I can still see him running around and throwing the ball.

As Fan said, the point is that people like Bill OB make the difference. They were a machine in those days, and THAT is why they attracted talent. No talented kid wants to play for a losing team - one that loses all the time. It used to drive me crazy to see talented Colorado kids on Chadron's or Kearney's roster. But they were winners.

Comment

Chadron supports their football much better than most other locations in the RMAC. It really does have a strong football tradition. There was almost 3,500 fans in attendance versus SDM&T. Meanwhile, Colorado Mines, which has been ranked more often than not the last few years is averaging about 1,500 fans their first two games. Western State, which has the best team in probably 2 or 3 decades had roughly 1,100 and 1,200 in their two home games.

So, if a player wants to come to a program with a long tradition of success that's greatly supported in the community, Chadron does offer that, which is more than many of the other RMAC locations.

Comment

North Platte. I would say he made the correct decision. He ended up having a decent NFL career. So, yeah.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X