Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still say quarterback play, rather than recruiting, is Chadron's biggest problem so far this year. You're not giving your defense much of a chance if you're completing 37% of your passes and still throwing it 30x a game. That's directly related to 16/46 3rd down conversions. Chadron outrushed BHSU by more than 100 yards, and more than a yard and 1/2 per carry. When the backup QB came in and went 9 of 12 in the fourth quarter, it was the first sign of life I'd seen of that offense. First passing TD of the season in quarter 12. It was just too little too late because the defense had been on the field 10-11 minutes longer than the offense at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post
      I still say quarterback play, rather than recruiting, is Chadron's biggest problem so far this year. You're not giving your defense much of a chance if you're completing 37% of your passes and still throwing it 30x a game. That's directly related to 16/46 3rd down conversions. Chadron outrushed BHSU by more than 100 yards, and more than a yard and 1/2 per carry. When the backup QB came in and went 9 of 12 in the fourth quarter, it was the first sign of life I'd seen of that offense. First passing TD of the season in quarter 12. It was just too little too late because the defense had been on the field 10-11 minutes longer than the offense at that point.
      I agree with you there. CSC isn't as good now that the QB from Gillette is gone now but there are very good skilled players on the team. Other than that first deep ball in the first quarter that first QB didn't do much. Backup played well when he came in. CSC defense really seemed to blitz early and it was working. Jackets started running screens and slowed that down in the second half as well.

Comment

Originally posted by CSM alum 1993 View Post

Interesting... I confess I've never looked at the SDSM curriculum. CSM did add a "Mineral Economics" degree sometime after I graduated. I'm not sure what the difference is between that and a traditional economics curriculum... I do like that both CSM and SDSM are diversifying since the university creates a broader appeal. Once upon a time a niche offering might have made sense, but likely not anymore.
        I didn't notice any sports medicine degrees scanning through the other day so maybe that was something that was dropped. But a business degree is probably a more broad option for a school to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by BHer View Post

I didn't know that on the petroleum department. Definitely a good way to get Texas kids!

As far as SD Mines I know years ago they added sports medicine to attract more athletic minded students. At one point in think 75 percent of the football team had that as their major.

Looking at the roster I also saw some "Business Management in Technology" majors. Which tells me they added a normal business degree to attract more kids just like sports medicine. Add technology to the end of the degree I guess makes it fit a tech school... Adding these majors has made it easier for them to get kids that don't want to be engineers.
          Alright, I've gotta clear up a couple things. I was a player for SD Mines for four seasons from 2015-2018, been going to games at O'Harra since 2000, and have had relatives attending the school from the 70s to now. I just wanted to give that background to show that I know what I'm talking about.

There is no sports medicine/exercise science major at SD Mines and never has been. There is a Pre Med degree with sub specializations like Pre Physical Therapy, Pre Physician Assistant etc. However, these are some of the least popular majors on campus because most students would go to USD or SDSU for that. I only knew of a handful of guys when I was there that were non engineers on any athletic team. The majority of the football team was comprised of Industrial, Civil, and Mechanical engineers with a handful of Electrical, Chemical, and Mining mixed in. I have no clue where the 75% number came from, but that has never been true in the history of the program.

Business Management in Technology is new, and I think will help in recruiting since they only have to go through Calculus I whereas most majors at Tech require you to go through Calculus III.

Edit: Saw the later post, maybe got conflated when the pre-med stuff was added in 2016 or the health sciences major
          Last edited by HardRockin'Nerd; 09-20-2022, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HardRockin'Nerd View Post

Alright, I've gotta clear up a couple things. I was a player for SD Mines for four seasons from 2015-2018, been going to games at O'Harra since 2000, and have had relatives attending the school from the 70s to now. I just wanted to give that background to show that I know what I'm talking about.

There is no sports medicine/exercise science major at SD Mines and never has been. There is a Pre Med degree with sub specializations like Pre Physical Therapy, Pre Physician Assistant etc. However, these are some of the least popular majors on campus because most students would go to USD or SDSU for that. I only knew of a handful of guys when I was there that were non engineers on any athletic team. The majority of the football team was comprised of Industrial, Civil, and Mechanical engineers with a handful of Electrical, Chemical, and Mining mixed in. I have no clue where the 75% number came from, but that has never been true in the history of the program.

Business Management in Technology is new, and I think will help in recruiting since they only have to go through Calculus I whereas most majors at Tech require you to go through Calculus III.

Edit: Saw the later post, maybe got conflated when the pre-med stuff was added in 2016 or the health sciences major
            I likely did speak out of turn on the percentage. However I'm not wrong that there was a sports medicine degree of some sort listed on rosters in the past. Whether it was a pre med or pre physical therapy I could not tell you. What I can say is that there were plenty of players at Tech in the 2000s that had that as their listed major. I have met and know some of the guys who I'm referring to.

Please understand I'm not taking a jab at you or your school "like your school so often does to BH". I'm more trying to point out what schools are trying to do to compete better. It's not a hard thing to understand that an engineering school needs to diversify to fill a football roster with quality players. And it's not a disgrace to do so either.

From here on I'm going to focus on CSC on this thread.

Comment

I likely did speak out of turn on the percentage. However I'm not wrong that there was a sports medicine degree of some sort listed on rosters in the past. Whether it was a pre med or pre physical therapy I could not tell you. What I can say is that there were plenty of players at Tech in the 2000s that had that as their listed major. I have met and know some of the guys who I'm referring to.

Please understand I'm not taking a jab at you or your school "like your school so often does to BH". I'm more trying to point out what schools are trying to do to compete better. It's not a hard thing to understand that an engineering school needs to diversify to fill a football roster with quality players. And it's not a disgrace to do so either.

From here on I'm going to focus on CSC on this thread.
              That might be a mistake at this point

Comment

That might be a mistake at this point
                What were your thoughts on the game? Is CSC losing the locker room or is Western as good as they were a year ago?

Comment

From my sources (ex players) they started losing it two years ago. In a gradual decline since then. Wonder if the AD has the stones to pull the plug on this staff?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagles Fly View Post
                    From my sources (ex players) they started losing it two years ago. In a gradual decline since then. Wonder if the AD has the stones to pull the plug on this staff?
                    They might just win one game (Fort Lewis). If it plays out that way I don't think there is any you cannot tear everything up and start over.

Comment

What were your thoughts on the game? Is CSC losing the locker room or is Western as good as they were a year ago?
                      No idea about the locker room. I thought the quarterback change would help the offense, and it did, I think. Did not see Western throwing the ball all over like they did. 6 passes of 20+ yards. Yeesh.

I don't think last year's Western team would be 2-2 at this point, but they're probably better than I thought at 0-2.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagles Fly View Post
                        You would think, with how big the Chadron coaching tree is, and the facilities and the tradition, you'd have plenty of good options. Heck, the locals would probably rather see 9 wins and a staff of outsiders than what's going on right now.

Comment

You would think, with how big the Chadron coaching tree is, and the facilities and the tradition, you'd have plenty of good options. Heck, the locals would probably rather see 9 wins and a staff of outsiders than what's going on right now.
                          If/when Chadron makes a coaching change, I am not sure I want anything to do with their existing tree to seek a new direction.

Comment

Chadron tied with Pueblo 6-6 going into the 2nd half. Pueblo apparently made adjustments, scoring touchdowns on their first three possessions. Chadron had a 4th and 2 near midfield TWICE and punts both times, with Pueblo promptly responding with a touchdown both times after the Chadron 4th and 2 punts.

Just tired of the bad coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by sportsvine View Post
                              Chadron tied with Pueblo 6-6 going into the 2nd half. Pueblo apparently made adjustments, scoring touchdowns on their first three possessions. Chadron had a 4th and 2 near midfield TWICE and punts both times, with Pueblo promptly responding with a touchdown both times after the Chadron 4th and 2 punts.

Just tired of the bad coaching.
                              Chadron has done a good job defensively to stop the run but their secondary is getting exposed pretty badly. Their offense just looks very bland, no success running and it just doesn't seem like they have a go to WR that can make a play when they need.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Chadron has done a good job defensively to stop the run but their secondary is getting exposed pretty badly. Their offense just looks very bland, no success running and it just doesn't seem like they have a go to WR that can make a play when they need.
                                Not defending anything in that game, but just FYI on the WR topic, their top five pass catchers, other than the TE, were all out with injuries.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X