Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They got absolutely hosed today. First of all, Chadron blew a 24-3 lead. But anyway, Chadron was up 31-24 with 2:36 left, Mesa with the ball on their own 2 yardline. First play, they hit a bomb down the middle of the field to the 50. Mesa hit many bombs, you would think Chadron's defenders would learn not to allow the receiver get behind them, but that happened at least 5 or 7 times. So, Mesa has a first down from around Chadron's 8 with about 1 minute left, a draw play and a Chadron defender tackles the Mesa player about 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage, but he picked up the running back and slammed him into the turf, a very hard tackle. An official tossed a flag, personal foul half the distance to the goal. The crowd was incensed, but I have seen this called before and other times, I have not seen this called. It was an unnecessarily hard tackle. So, Mesa gets 1st down at Chadron 5 yardline. On 3rd and goal from 5 with 45 seconds left, a pass interference was called on Chadron defender. It didn't look obvious, although it did look like the receiver was hooked as he broke on his route. So, Mesa gets another new set of downs. After a running play, Mesa wastes a spike on 2nd down with 30 seconds left and still having 1 timeout. On the 3rd down play from the 2 incomplete pass. On 4th down with about 20 seconds left, the qb scrambles up the middle and as he's approaching the endzone, he fumbles and Chadron recovers in the endzone. Officials ruled the qb broke the plane of the goalline before fumbling. I was standing right on the goalline and could clearly see the ball was out at the 1/2 yardline, maybe even a full yard before the endzone. This was a bad bad call. On the extra point, Chadron gets a hand on the extra point, but the ball still sneaks over the crossbar.

So, we go to overtime. After a 3 minute intermission, they do the coin toss, Chadron wins, goes on defense. Mesa about to line up, and the official signal timeout for injured player. Strange, to have a timeout for injured player AFTER a 3 minute intermission with no injury happening on the previous play (the extra point). Anyway, the Mesa team was huddled all around someone on their sideline, someone must have collapsed or something. Hope whoever was injured will be alright.

Mesa with ball gets quick touchdown with a receiver all alone in the endzone wide open. Mesa gets extra point, 38-31. Chadron responds with chunk running plays up the middle and score a quick touchdown, Jalen Starks leaped into the endzone, and stretching the ball over the goalline in mid-air, he fumbled, but he was clearly across goalline by 2 whole yards. That would have been something if that was ruled a fumble especially after the Mesa touchdown that was not ruled a fumble. On the Starks touchdown, Mesa was called for unsportsmanlike conduct. Chadron, opts to take half the distance to go for the win. Starks was called for a draw up the middle and was stopped short, not even close. Didn't ever get to the line of scrimmage.

Game over Chadron lost 38-37.

Postgame comments, Jay Long said that he'd seen this officiating crew had questionable calls from previous games, and once he saw that it was this officiating crew, he said he knew what Chadron was in for. The radio guy said he didn't have to say anything else, don't want to the coach fined.

Comment

Write up in the CSC newspaper calling for the “Long Era” to end. Things are not good.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagles Fly View Post
        Write up in the CSC newspaper calling for the “Long Era” to end. Things are not good.
        Time for a Jimbo level contract extension me thinks.. I'm just an objective and unbiased bystander in this

Comment

Another year.... another year of going in the wrong direction. In the past, at least Chadron state would beat the bad teams and the regional rivals. This year, they beat only 3 bad teams, and had non-competive losses against both of their South Dakota rivals.

Enough is enough.

Comment

I don't see how he can survive this season. This program has gone from an RMAC power to the basement. It's time to clean house and start over.

Comment

Originally posted by Fergrat View Post
              I don't see how he can survive this season. This program has gone from an RMAC power to the basement. It's time to clean house and start over.
              Heard it through the grapevine that Long was hired for "educational reasons" and for that reason, he'll be in Chadron for as long as he wants to be.

Comment

Any news from anybody in the know? Parts of me wants Jay to succeed. He’s gonna have to clean house to do so imho. I’m guessing Micah is backed by his dad and dad donates to the program so we’ll see if Jay has any say or the balls to send him packing. That would be a good start. Receivers coach needs to go as well. Defensively they did a decent job, I just think they were on the field way too much this year. Offensive staff is just….offensive!

Comment

In Chadron related news…Coach OB is the new line coach at CU Boulder.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagles Fly View Post
                    Read that Editorial, being on the UNK newspaper we get their paper mailed to us and it was a doozy. Here's the link: https://csceagle.com/2022/10/06/time...-the-long-era/

With the CSC president leaving, does that mean theres a chance after last year?

Comment

I think they need to start a little higher up the totem pole, if they are going to start firing people in athletics, before they worry about firing Jay Long.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglefan22 View Post
                        I think they need to start a little higher up the totem pole, if they are going to start firing people in athletics, before they worry about firing Jay Long.
                        Who would you start with? AD?

Comment

That would be a good place to start if they are looking to make staff changes.

Comment

Versus Augustana......the most unimaginable offense ever. They had to run a qb sneak at least 25 times, and it would average 3 yards a try. Their playbook is so unimaginative.

Kinda ironic, on a day they honored their great 1989 and 1990 offenses. The 1990 team led D2 in total yards and had the nation's leading rusher.

Such a shame, because the defense actually played pretty good. They gave up two early long bombs in the 1st quarter, but after that, they gave up only 6 more points (missed PAT) the rest of the game and pressured Augustana's qb the entire game.

Comment

Originally posted by sportsvine View Post
                              Versus Augustana......the most unimaginable offense ever. They had to run a qb sneak at least 25 times, and it would average 3 yards a try. Their playbook is so unimaginative.

Kinda ironic, on a day they honored their great 1989 and 1990 offenses. The 1990 team led D2 in total yards and had the nation's leading rusher.

Such a shame, because the defense actually played pretty good. They gave up two early long bombs in the 1st quarter, but after that, they gave up only 6 more points (missed PAT) the rest of the game and pressured Augustana's qb the entire game.
                              Chadron played defense against Augustana well. AU fiest two scores seemed to catch the Eagles out of place with two long passes to wide open receivers after that Eagles shut us down for the most part. The 89 yard punt return was electric as Jones did the same thing last week against Mary for 85 yards.

You are correct about a vanilla offense the inability to get a running game going hurt the Eagles as did the 4 sacks. I certainly remember those great teams of the past with the unbelievable Danny Woodhead. Good fortune going forward for the Eagles

Comment

How long can this continue? This program has become a laughingstock. It’s time for a coaching change.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X