Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild CO Mines story

Stumbled across this on Twitter. Is this really a thing that happened? Any Golden folks on here know about this?
    Thread by @NanaOseiOpare: Head football coach + team physically threatened and harassed an engineering class & professor (my father-in-law) at the Colorado School of Mines last week. The coach interrupted class, sh...�

Don't know, but from this paragraph it sounds like the room/auditorium was assigned to the team at that time

"Multiple students reported this harassment to HR immediately afterwards. Half of the ~100 students expressed concerns about their safety in the current classroom. Ten days later, **the university has not yet changed the classroom,** nor have other concerns been addressed. 4/ "

There are definitely professors in Golden who disdain football. This guy's FIL sounds like one. He "@" a whole bunch of media people, so since there has been no coverage, I'm guessing this is only half the story.

Comment

Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by whodat View Post
        Don't know, but from this paragraph it sounds like the room/auditorium was assigned to the team at that time

"Multiple students reported this harassment to HR immediately afterwards. Half of the ~100 students expressed concerns about their safety in the current classroom. Ten days later, **the university has not yet changed the classroom,** nor have other concerns been addressed. 4/ "

There are definitely professors in Golden who disdain football. This guy's FIL sounds like one. He "@" a whole bunch of media people, so since there has been no coverage, I'm guessing this is only half the story.
        The classroom was reserved for this engineering class this whole semester; the coach arbitrarily decided he wanted to use it at that time and used his athletes as muscle to physically threaten the class to leave **during the scheduled class time** - what about this paragraph?

Comment

Can there actually be anything to this alleged incident and it not blow up into a massive scandal? Particularly at an institution like CSM where academics are everything. If anyone has direct knowledge I'd certainly love to heat it.
          Last edited by MinnequaFats; 10-19-2021, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Sounds like Greg Brandon is emulating John Goodman from Revenge of the Nerds telling the players to raid the house.
            Last edited by mountaineermagic; 10-19-2021, 12:31 PM.

Comment

I am a student at Mines. This is not the first time I have heard about poor behavior coming from Greg Brandon. Last year during the George Floyd protests, he was accused of being racist (calling black players "boy" and other similar things). unfortunately the school most likely wont act because winning causes people to forget about this type of thing fast.

Comment

Comment

The coaching staff in the mid 2000s was entirely different though.

Comment

Looking forward to hearing what you learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

The classroom was reserved for this engineering class this whole semester; the coach arbitrarily decided he wanted to use it at that time and used his athletes as muscle to physically threaten the class to leave **during the scheduled class time** - what about this paragraph?
                      Right, so compare both passages. They appear to conflict, which leads me to wonder if there is more to the story. Who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by whodat View Post

Right, so compare both passages. They appear to conflict, which leads me to wonder if there is more to the story. Who knows.
                        I know zero facts... so not saying what we have read is right or wrong. All I know is twitter is not actually vetted journalism... Welcome to 2021.

Comment

So this is getting media legs and folks are being tight lipped. Though I've heard no student athletes were involved. It sounds like the report on Twitter is a bit one-sided. I suspect there is some "telephone game" happening here too since it is all 3rd hand information. As always the truth is probably closer to the middle.

Comment

The original tweeter also retweeted this:
                            https://twitter.com/themorningsnows/...55092552867844

@themorningsnows belongs to Vivian Lu, another professor at Fordham (like the original tweeter)

Faculty page at Mines shows a man named Ning Lu. Someone e-mail him at [email protected] and see if he confirms these events.

Comment

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/11/0...jacks-lecture/
                              New story came out about the situation. I also heard about it 2nd hand from some students

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X