Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mountaineermagic View Post

What comes first, financial support or success for a school? For instance Fort Lewis?
    Go look at Colorado Mines around that '04 group. I think they were a surprise in every way. But, since then they have been perhaps the most consistent performer in the RMAC.

To be clear, before then they were also among the most consistent performers, except on the bottom end of the spectrum.

After the '04 football run, they essentially decided to fully fund 4 sports (football, volleyball both basketballs). If you look at those 4 programs since then, great and consistent results, in the conference and nationally. That has then allowed them to expand that funding to other sports and achieve similar success (both soccers, both cross country / tracks teams, etc.). Mines got "lucky" with that '04 football run, winning the conference, making the PO's, winning the Harlon Hill. But, they used that as a reason to fund football and other sports. The funding has allowed for the ongoing success of the entire athletic department.

Looking at that model, from within the conference, from a perpetual bottom feeder is to fully fund, even if only to a limited portion of the athletic departments budgets. That includes not only scholarships, but coaching and recruiting budgets too. Otherwise, any lucky hire of a great coach who can move the needle is just temporary as they move on to a place where they can get the budget. But based on this years results, I don't think FLC has lucked on to a great hire just yet.

Comment

UNK run defense isn't great. If you can get the run going, you have a shot. Their offense lives and dies with Davis. They also run a run dominated spread option and not a traditional triple option with the qb under center. Same defensive concept to stop them though. Stay at home, stretch them out, and don't cheat to stop the run or they'll cut your head off over the top.

It's really fun to watch Davis run that offense, too. They are also pretty good up front on both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by loper legionnaire View Post

Good call. Increasing scholarships makes a big difference, especially in terms of quality depth. If you look at UNK transitioning from the RMAC to the MIAA, it's no surprise they took their lumps for a while but are now more consistently competitive. It's happened as their scholarship numbers increased. And, sure, Coach Lynn and TJ Davis have made a major difference as well. But the overall number of good players UNK has is higher than it's been in a long time, which has put the program in a good spot moving forward.

Loper Football Scholarship History
        2020 (34.00)
        2019 (33.00)
        2018 (33.00)
        2017 (32.16)
        2016 (29.60)
        2015 (25.72)
        2014 (23.00)
        2013 (24.26)
        2012 (20.77)

Comment

I don't. Those were the only numbers reported in an article by the university earlier this year. I would have to think it was lower than the 2012 number. And you're right, conference imposed scholarship limits probably did create a little more parity or at least keep the bottom tier teams from being horribly overmatched. But without those limits, the underfunded teams like Fort Lewis or Lincoln in the MIAA just get destroyed by pretty much everyone.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by d2-football-fan View Post

Go look at Colorado Mines around that '04 group. I think they were a surprise in every way. But, since then they have been perhaps the most consistent performer in the RMAC.

To be clear, before then they were also among the most consistent performers, except on the bottom end of the spectrum.

After the '04 football run, they essentially decided to fully fund 4 sports (football, volleyball both basketballs). If you look at those 4 programs since then, great and consistent results, in the conference and nationally. That has then allowed them to expand that funding to other sports and achieve similar success (both soccers, both cross country / tracks teams, etc.). Mines got "lucky" with that '04 football run, winning the conference, making the PO's, winning the Harlon Hill. But, they used that as a reason to fund football and other sports. The funding has allowed for the ongoing success of the entire athletic department.

Looking at that model, from within the conference, from a perpetual bottom feeder is to fully fund, even if only to a limited portion of the athletic departments budgets. That includes not only scholarships, but coaching and recruiting budgets too. Otherwise, any lucky hire of a great coach who can move the needle is just temporary as they move on to a place where they can get the budget. But based on this years results, I don't think FLC has lucked on to a great hire just yet.
              Mines didn't seem to care much about football for many years, 2004 was really the first time that Mines had won the RMAC since 1958. I think the success they had really helped push the RMAC into a more competitive position. Danny Woodhead at Chadron was also an added bonus. Additionally, CSU-P's decision to bring football back has also really made the entire conference better. Obviously a down year for them, but it seems the RMAC has improved a lot in the last 15 years. I am pulling for the Mountaineers today and I hope they can match up well against Kearney. The more success the RMAC has in the playoffs the better off the whole conference will be.

I also admit I miss the Lopers and their fans, there used to be a guy who posted on here as Ritchie Ross' Brother, he was a little off kilter but absolutely hilarious and entertaining.

Comment

Nice Drive to open the second half! 10-10

Comment

Score?

Comment

24-24 6 minutes left in the game

Comment

Originally posted by twolfbenchwarmer View Post
                      24-24 6 minutes left in the game
                      Good back and forth action in the 2nd half.

Comment

What a way to lose lol.

Comment

what a crappy ending to a good game.

Comment

Holy crap, zebras decide this one.

Comment

Wow, heartbreaking way to lose... Nice crowd Lopers. Best of luck in Angelo next week

Comment

Originally posted by Wrecked Again View Post
                                Holy crap, zebras decide this one.
                                How? #78 was hurt on prior play and was running up to the line as the ball was snapped. That's a false start. Sucks it ended that way but the call was correct.

On another subject WCU's announce team is just awful. By far the worst I heard today. Play by play guy literally cannot see the field and I'm not sure the color guy is alive. That dude needs caffeine and a rule book.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X