Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angelo St. at Colorado Mines

OK, from what I have read so far, A lot of folks think ASU has a better than average chance of beating Mines at their place. Elevation has no bearing on the game. Weather should be fine for the game. So on and so forth. They are also putting Colorado Mines down as having a down season. Well 11 - 1 ain't bad. I guess is does not matter that they destroyed Bemidji St last week. But of course the folks in the NSIC put themselves down to a bad year. I have read that the RMAC is having a down year also. Well lets look at the past, at how well Angelo St has done in the state of Colorado in the playoffs. Ok, I will be nice and not post the score against CSUP. Should be an entertaining game. I expect whoever gets out front first by a couple of TD's will have an advantage the rest of the game. OK, lets have your thoughts. Mines by 14.

I fully expect this to be a slog. This is two really good up front units. Mines' pass rush has been great but so has ASU's O line. Mines rush defense/front seven has been really good but again... ASU's O line. ASUs D line are big humans with decent speed but Mines' has a really good O line too with multiple all conference selections. With those kind of units up front this has the makings of an all out slugfest.

I think Mines' advantage may be on special teams. Their punt return game is one of the best in the country and ASU's kicking game has been abysmal. Lots of blocked punts and kicks (third worst and worst in the nation respectively). Chadron blocked 2 punts earlier this year while putting a scare into them.

One interesting thing I think will be proved out this weekend is how good ASU's defense really is. In their last seven games before the playoffs they faced only one team who is in the top 90 in total offense in D2, and they lost to that one team, West Texas. Granted that was Bronkorst's first game in 3 weeks due to injury but still WTAMU hung 31 on them. Mines only let in 13 against WTAMU. I'm not diminishing what they did to Duluth or Kearney I'm just saying that their defensive metrics may be a bit skewed which could put them on par with Mines' defense statistically.

I expect it to be a close game but in the end I think Mines has more versatility and will take advantage. I like Packfootball's prediction Mines by 14, but I think one touchdown comes late.
    Last edited by GoneBlastin; 11-30-2021, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Packfootball View Post
      OK, from what I have read so far, A lot of folks think ASU has a better than average chance of beating Mines at their place. Elevation has no bearing on the game. Weather should be fine for the game. So on and so forth. They are also putting Colorado Mines down as having a down season. Well 11 - 1 ain't bad. I guess is does not matter that they destroyed Bemidji St last week. But of course the folks in the NSIC put themselves down to a bad year. I have read that the RMAC is having a down year also. Well lets look at the past, at how well Angelo St has done in the state of Colorado in the playoffs. Ok, I will be nice and not post the score against CSUP. Should be an entertaining game. I expect whoever gets out front first by a couple of TD's will have an advantage the rest of the game. OK, lets have your thoughts. Mines by 14.
      I watched the playoff recap show from D2Football on FB... well let's just say they spent more time talking about what Augustana would have done to Mines IF they had made it, than what Mines actually did to Bemidji. Slightly shocking, and disappointing, but here we are.

Interesting matchup. I still think the LSC is a streaky 3-point shooter and it just depends on which night you catch them. Eli Manning made a whole career out of two great playoff runs - it happens.

Bemidji, and Alt, had been smoking hot and having unbelievable offensive seasons, and then put up 6 points - on a kick return for a touchdown - against Mines. Their defense was locked in. But, Angelo has only given up 21 points in two playoff games so far - they're not struggling on that side of the ball themselves.

Statistically, these two teams are amazingly similar. They are both effective and efficient on offense (passing game efficiency favors Mines, but explosiveness favors Angelo). They are both very stingy against the run, both in total yards and yards per carry. They both bend on defense but don't give up a ton of points. They both won the turnover battle for the season by a large amount. Angelo did suffer more penalties by a reasonable margin, and that can be significant in a playoff atmosphere. But in most basic statistical ways, these teams are really close.

They have had 2 common opponents:
      West Texas:
      Mines won 21-13
      Angelo lost 15-31

Chadron:
      Mines won 34-7
      Angelo won 28-24 (after trailing 0-24)

Looking quickly down rosters, neither teams appears to have an obvious size advantage.

This game has the looks of being one where we look back and one or two plays completely changed the game (Mines 2 years ago with 2 turnovers inside the +5 yard line). It's never easy to predict when / how those big moments will happen and to whose advantage.

My hope is that the physical nature of the game makes altitude a factor late and Mines can make one more play than Angelo.

Mines 27-23

Comment

What do their playoff scores in Colorado in the past have to do with anything (unless that's a point about elevation having an effect)?

Weather won't be a factor. It's supposed to be warmer in Golden than it was last Saturday in San Angelo. Elevation... I wouldn't have a clue.

On special teams it's not all bad by any means, they have a dangerous return game and had a KO return for a TD against MD. They also have an excellent kicker with a big leg.

Rams were up and down early and took off after playing WT and Chadron. I wouldn't put much into score comparisons regardless as the transitive property doesn't work in football.

Only playoff points ASU has given up is late against the second team defense and one after a pick in their own territory. Beyond that they've hardly let the offenses do anything. Of course those two offenses may suck compared to Mines' competition, I have no idea. Should be a good game.

Comment

Originally posted by Bippy McGoo View Post
          What do their playoff scores in Colorado in the past have to do with anything (unless that's a point about elevation having an effect)?

Weather won't be a factor. It's supposed to be warmer in Golden than it was last Saturday in San Angelo. Elevation... I wouldn't have a clue.

On special teams it's not all bad by any means, they have a dangerous return game and had a KO return for a TD against MD. They also have an excellent kicker with a big leg.

Rams were up and down early and took off after playing WT and Chadron. I wouldn't put much into score comparisons regardless as the transitive property doesn't work in football.

Only playoff points ASU has given up is late against the second team defense and one after a pick in their own territory. Beyond that they've hardly let the offenses do anything. Of course those two offenses may suck compared to Mines' competition, I have no idea. Should be a good game.
          Thank God Bippy is here to let me know what I can / can't or should / shouldn't consider or talk about when looking at a game subjectively. I almost got lost in independent thought...

Comment

I am really excited for this one and expect it to be a close game. I have been really impressed by the Mines defense and the job DC Brandon Moore has done. They have been turnover machines, getting picks and forced fumbles at crucial moments. They were able to completely shut down one of the top QBs in D2 statistically last week. Matocha had one of the best games of his career last week, but I expect Angelo State will provide more resistance. I think the first round bye did wonders for Mines in getting their players healthy and prepared for a playoff run. If Mines' defense and special teams can make some big plays like they did last week vs Bemidji, they could end up blowing this thing open. Mines by 6

Comment

Originally posted by d2-football-fan View Post

Thank God Bippy is here to let me know what I can / can't or should / shouldn't consider or talk about when looking at a game subjectively. I almost got lost in independent thought...
              Huh? I didn't even quote you. I just re-read both our posts and the only thing I even commented on that you'd posted was the common opponents, and you didn't even give an opinion on it, just listed the scores. Did you not want anyone to comment on that or something? Not sure how you get that I'm trying to "let you know what you can talk about" out of my post. Heck, I thought your post was really informative.

Comment

I'm going to go out on a limb here and taking Mines 35-14. Just don't fumble twice inside the 5.
                ???

Comment

All good points but that 2014 Pueblo team was special, Angelo stood no chance on either side of the LOS. I'm not sure Mines is as dominant along the lines as will be required. Angelo looks very solid up front, especially defensively. Should be a very physical game. I'll be in Mexico so won't get to watch but looking forward to seeing the end result. Best of luck to Mines!

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

All good points but that 2014 Pueblo team was special, Angelo stood no chance on either side of the LOS. I'm not sure Mines is as dominant along the lines as will be required. Angelo looks very solid up front, especially defensively. Should be a very physical game. I'll be in Mexico so won't get to watch but looking forward to seeing the end result. Best of luck to Mines!
                    The Angelo DL does look great but the Mines offense is also designed to cancel that out. They use the whole field and have a mobile QB with a good short passing game.

Comment

Originally posted by twolfbenchwarmer View Post

The Angelo DL does look great but the Mines offense is also designed to cancel that out. They use the whole field and have a mobile QB with a good short passing game.
                      For sure, I just don't know if they'll get their running game going the way they've been able to of late. Sad to have to miss it, pretty intriguing match up.

Comment

[QUOTE=Packfootball;n634993]OK, from what I have read so far, A lot of folks think ASU has a better than average chance of beating Mines at their place. Elevation has no bearing on the game. Weather should be fine for the game. So on and so forth. They are also putting Colorado Mines down as having a down season. Well 11 - 1 ain't bad. I guess is does not matter that they destroyed Bemidji St last week. But of course the folks in the NSIC put themselves down to a bad year. I have read that the RMAC is having a down year also. Well lets look at the past, at how well Angelo St has done in the state of Colorado in the playoffs. Ok, I will be nice and not post the score against CSUP. Should be an entertaining game. I expect whoever gets out front first by a couple of TD's will have an advantage the rest of the game. OK, lets have your thoughts. Mines by 14.[/QUhone.

Pack, you know I always enjoyed your posts and opinions.......BUT on this, you're full of CRAP....LOL. NO ONE on the LSC board said any such thing.

I'll wait while you provide the link.........(and eat crow if you do)

Not my fault YOUR team sucked this year. Go back and relive 2014. You won't see it again in your lifetime. LMAO.

In my opinion, Mines should EASILY win this game at home.

Comment

Originally posted by twolfbenchwarmer View Post

Yes, will be a tough offense to defend against.

This game comes down to the trenches.

Comment

Originally posted by togthorn View Post
                            I'm going to go out on a limb here and taking Mines 35-14. Just don't fumble twice inside the 5.
                            ???
                            LOL707LOL707

Comment

[QUOTE=ASUPops;n636402]
                              OK, from what I have read so far, A lot of folks think ASU has a better than average chance of beating Mines at their place. Elevation has no bearing on the game. Weather should be fine for the game. So on and so forth. They are also putting Colorado Mines down as having a down season. Well 11 - 1 ain't bad. I guess is does not matter that they destroyed Bemidji St last week. But of course the folks in the NSIC put themselves down to a bad year. I have read that the RMAC is having a down year also. Well lets look at the past, at how well Angelo St has done in the state of Colorado in the playoffs. Ok, I will be nice and not post the score against CSUP. Should be an entertaining game. I expect whoever gets out front first by a couple of TD's will have an advantage the rest of the game. OK, lets have your thoughts. Mines by 14.[/QUhone.

Pack, you know I always enjoyed your posts and opinions.......BUT on this, you're full of CRAP....LOL. NO ONE on the LSC board said any such thing.

I'll wait while you provide the link.........(and eat crow if you do)

Not my fault YOUR team sucked this year. Go back and relive 2014. You won't see it again in your lifetime. LMAO.

In my opinion, Mines should EASILY win this game at home.
                              ASUPops, you are not worth my time or effort! But I do enjoy reading what you post.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X