Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Since our show has been misrepresented here....I'm going to reply..

Actually we (myself) spoke about Mines for just over 2 minutes and then spoke about Augie probably being the best team from the NSIC for just shy of a minute.
    If Auggie couldn't beat the Beaves at home, they flat out didn't deserve to keep playing, they would've gotten beat like Bemidji did, or worse. Did we forget what Duluth did to them, and what happened to Duluth?
    Last edited by Gridiron Bobby; 12-07-2021, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gridiron Bobby View Post

If Auggie couldn't beat the Beaves at home, they flat out didn't deserve to keep playing, they would've gotten beat like Bemidji did, or worse. Did we forget what Duluth did to them, and what happened to Duluth?
      Bobby, I can see your digging deep into the transitive property thinking in football. Implying that since UMD thumped Augie they'd automatically do better in the playoffs. Eh..no.

Augie was the best team in the conference and had already destroyed Bemidji earlier in the year and thumped most of the NSIC in convincing fashion. Yes, they tripped up badly at Duluth. That was the thing about the NSIC this year, there wasn't an alpha like Mankato has been in the past. Instead there were 7-8 teams that all beat up on each other. Heck, Mankato (6-5) rolled Bemidji badly..hung a 50-spot on them. Does that mean Mankato is better than them? No. It means they won that game.

Overall Augie had come outta league play looking the most explosive, balanced, and solid on D in the NSIC. But since the NSIC had a collection of good but not great teams this year..they didn't fare well in the playoffs. No alpha dog to win games like Kato in the past.

We've plowed this field on our show, FWIW, including the part about if Augie wasn't good enough to beat BSU in R1..then they don't earn the chance to see how they would've done at Mines. We were saying they would've matched up better with them since they were a top team against the run and had offensive balance. That was our take.

Comment

Originally posted by d2-football-fan View Post

I don't think misrepresented is the right word - for the whole show. There was indeed very little said about Mines in general, without it being more of a referendum on Bemidji or Augustana.

But, I do 100% agree that you have been the most vocal about Mines (recapping games and giving love to Zemen), although Kris got in a bit since he attended the last game. As a whole, however, it has been a bit of skip and chat about the more interesting topics of the day. I know, Mines is the new kid to the big show and these other teams have the bigger history and expectations associated with them. Perhaps a bit of the hosts being representatives of their respective conferences and being more comfortable chatting about them as well. But on a 2 hour show to reply about 2 minutes, my point isn't completely off base.

In the bigger picture, I am thankful to have a place where I can get some D2 knowledge and perspective. So while I recognize that respect is earned - with regards to the RMAC or Mines getting more love - I would tune in even if there were no RMAC representatives still playing (and even less air time LOLOL). Thanks to taking the time to share with the community every week!
        Your complaint was not about the coverage of Mines v. the rest of the show. Your complaint was about Mines v. Augustana, which Matt addressed. You moved the goalpost, but I'll address that anyway.

Mines is not the new kid (I know you reference big show). They have been fairly consistent since 2004. They've only had one losing season since Friehauf won the HHT in 2004 and have had double digit wins five out of last seven years.

I have read your comment a few times and I understand your feelings, but I think our editorial decisions were correct.

The game simply wasn't interesting as Mines dominated a team that doesn't have a very big following. The previous week when Northwest Missouri (a team with a huge following) beat Central Washington in similar fashion, we talked about that game for 1:05. There is no bias against Mines. How many different ways can you say one team kicked another team's ass to fill time?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Your complaint was not about the coverage of Mines v. the rest of the show. Your complaint was about Mines v. Augustana, which Matt addressed. You moved the goalpost, but I'll address that anyway.

Mines is not the new kid (I know you reference big show). They have been fairly consistent since 2004. They've only had one losing season since Friehauf won the HHT in 2004 and have had double digit wins five out of last seven years.

I have read your comment a few times and I understand your feelings, but I think our editorial decisions were correct.

The game simply wasn't interesting as Mines dominated a team that doesn't have a very big following. The previous week when Northwest Missouri (a team with a huge following) beat Central Washington in similar fashion, we talked about that game for 1:05. There is no bias against Mines. How many different ways can you say one team kicked another team's ass to fill time?
          I sure didn't expect all the high level attention, lol.

I sure didn't want to sound like a dissatisfied customer either.

My goalpost was stationary, but perhaps verbalized differently in two different posts. Do I understand that 55-6 is not that entertaining to anyone not cheering for the 55? Yes. But as that fan, do I feel like there are plenty of talking points to speak about? Also yes. It's ok that we have different views on that, it's ok that you feel good about having moved on and it's ok that I wish you guys had lingered on that topic longer. We can disagree without being disagreeable. I'm glad Mines (and the RMAC) is still a topic at all, and I'm glad you provide an outlet for any of these teams to be a topic. So my complaint is definitely a first world problem!

I also agree Mines have been playoff consistent, but obviously in already having achieved two program firsts this year, they haven't really approached elite before. Ferris? Yes. NWMSU? Yes. Valdosta? Yes. And several more. That is what I contrast Mines to when I say new kid. That next level of good, the consistency AND the highest levels of performance. This translates into the huge followings you reference. I get that point as well.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I didn't expect it. Thank you for providing the outlet and the multitude of voices and perspectives, to which we can agree, or disagree lol. If Mines wins 55-6 this week, I expect way more than 2 minutes. If Mines loses 55-6 this week, I expect zero minutes. LOL I appreciate you Brandon - and your cohorts!

Comment

Ha Ha Ha.

I don't think everyone has to agree with us. I expect some are going to be angry. You've obviously demonstrated that you're not angry, but I thought it was worth addressing. I just like it that people care and wanted to explain the thought process in the best way possible. It's also possible a criticism is valid, and when that happens, we admit our mistake and make our best effort to correct it.

As you know, none of us are doing this full time. This is all a labor of love and we probably put way more thought into it than one would guess. I have a casual exterior nature, but I am internally focused on getting things right and doing things right and trying to represent D2 in the best possible way.

Comment

[QUOTE=Packfootball;n637205][QUOTE=ASUPops;n636402]

All it takes is one, and it was on the LSC board for all to see. The one was sorry for what he said.about Mines in a latter post on the LSC board. I guess PETA might get mad at you if you eat crow, so you do not have to. But a picture with black feathers out of your mouth would be funny. Like I said, the team that gets ahead by a couple of TD's will have an advantage the rest of the game. Yes, we had a bad season, but not complaining about it. How many football natty's does ASU have?[/QUOTE]
              Same as CSUP. ONE.

Comment

[QUOTE=ASUPops;n638749][QUOTE=Packfootball;n637205]
                Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

All it takes is one, and it was on the LSC board for all to see. The one was sorry for what he said.about Mines in a latter post on the LSC board. I guess PETA might get mad at you if you eat crow, so you do not have to. But a picture with black feathers out of your mouth would be funny. Like I said, the team that gets ahead by a couple of TD's will have an advantage the rest of the game. Yes, we had a bad season, but not complaining about it. How many football natty's does ASU have?[/QUOTE]
                Same as CSUP. ONE.
                CSUP has one D2 National Championship.
                ASU has one NAIA Championship.

Comment

[QUOTE=Buffalo/Islander Alum;n644370][QUOTE=ASUPops;n638749]
                  Originally posted by Packfootball View Post

CSUP has one D2 National Championship.
                  ASU has one NAIA Championship.
                  Yes. One NATTY each.

The question was how many football natty's does ASU have. My answer was ONE, same as CSUP.

Was my answer incorrect where you felt obligated to fix something??

The LSC was NAIA at the time Angelo won the National Championship in 1978. They joined the LSC in '68 and won a Natty within 10 years.

Comment

[QUOTE=ASUPops;n644542][QUOTE=Buffalo/Islander Alum;n644370]
                    Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Yes. One NATTY each.

The question was how many football natty's does ASU have. My answer was ONE, same as CSUP.

Was my answer incorrect where you felt obligated to fix something??

The LSC was NAIA at the time Angelo won the National Championship in 1978. They joined the LSC in '68 and won a Natty within 10 years.

Nope just clarifying the level that they were won. ;)

Comment

[QUOTE=Buffalo/Islander Alum;n644549][QUOTE=ASUPops;n644542]
                      Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Nope just clarifying the level that they were won. ;)
                      Well in '78, NAIA was equal to or maybe better than the current DII.

The LSC in '78 was: Angelo, ACU, South West Texas State (Texas,State), Texas A&I (Kingsville), East Texas State (Commerce), Sam Houston, SFA, and Howard Payne. Basically today's FCS.

There wasn't NCAA DII football untill '73. It used to be called College Division. It was HORRIBLE. Non-scholarship. In '73 College Division split into DII for members who wanted to start offering scholarships, and DIII for those who wanted to stay non-scholarship.

The LSC finally got poached away from the NAIA in '81. $$ talks.

So, Angelo's '78 undefeated season & Natty was certainly equal to, but probably more prestigious than modern times because of all the tougher competition in NAIA back in the day.

A little history lesson for ya, my friend.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X