Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado Mesa Job

In a GJ Sentinel story from a week ago or so they reported that are 70 applicants. It should be completed by this next week with signing day quickly approaching.

Comment

Situation is eerily similar to Colorado losing Mel Tucker. While I like Karl Dorrell, he has a major mountain to climb, and kids are jumping ship. Mesa will miss a whole recruiting class, and is STILL not fully funded. They better go big with a hire, or they will be mediocre at best for a while. If I'm the players, I'm pretty pissed right now.

Comment

Originally posted by whodat View Post
        Situation is eerily similar to Colorado losing Mel Tucker. While I like Karl Dorrell, he has a major mountain to climb, and kids are jumping ship. Mesa will miss a whole recruiting class, and is STILL not fully funded. They better go big with a hire, or they will be mediocre at best for a while. If I'm the players, I'm pretty pissed right now.
        I wonder what mines is doing with their open HC position. It seems like it's been quiet there too.

Comment

RMAC schools keep quiet about HC's until they sign them. Always been that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Packfootball View Post
            RMAC schools keep quiet about HC's until they sign them. Always been that way.
            Gotta wait for the FBS/FCS carrousels to stop spinning. An RMAC head coach could likely get paid more as a position coach or coordinator at a larger school, gotta find the right person who wants to do things their way with limited resources.

Comment

Some pretty interesting information from GJ Sentinel:

Comment

The Mavs hire Miles Kochevar. I like Miles, he's a guy the players really like. Being a HC is different than being an assistant, so he has his work cut out. But he won't cut and run like Jackson. Gotta get some great and innovative assistants, Miles. Congrats!

Comment

https://cmumavericks.com/news/2022/1...all-coach.aspx

Whodat....you beat me to it on the post.

I'd suggest just about any D2 coach would "cut and run" if they were offered a top program nationally in D2 like Valdosta.

Moving to Coach Kochevar....since he's got plenty of history in Colorado and knows the league from his time at CSUP, seems like an easy fit locally..and being able to continue things defensively.

As you mentioned, it'll be interesting to see what staff he hires. Good to see they got this done before Wednesday.

Comment

As an alum that's still living in the community and following the team closely I gotta say, I'm ecstatic about this hire! I was a part of Mesa's most recent championship and playoff team and we were able to do the things we did because we were all Colorado kids that were developed. I believe Miles will excel in recruiting and based on his resume he clearly has the coaching chops to get the most out of guys. The community aspect is huge too! Having those connections and being able to get the entire Western Slope behind the Mavs as well as previous generations of players is going to be key to getting that funding up to par. On paper at least, he checks all of those boxes for me.

All in all, I'm super excited for this new era of Mavs football!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                      https://cmumavericks.com/news/2022/1...all-coach.aspx

I'd suggest just about any D2 coach would "cut and run" if they were offered a top program nationally in D2 like Valdosta.

We see things differently. Jackson and Mel Tucker left because they could go where the road is less bumpy. I have a lot more respect for a guy like Jas Bains who has put in the blood, sweat and tears to bring Western back to prominence. Bob Stitt did that at Mines. Gregg Brandon could have left Mines for something more "elite", but he chose to make a good program very, very good. Bill McCartney could have left Colorado but was eventually rewarded for staying the course. Today, things are different for a lot of people. But in the end, how do you teach kids - 99.9% of whom will not play beyond college - how to persist in tough times or deal with difficult issues when you leave before a job is done? Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by whodat View Post

We see things differently. Jackson and Mel Tucker left because they could go where the road is less bumpy. I have a lot more respect for a guy like Jas Bains who has put in the blood, sweat and tears to bring Western back to prominence. Bob Stitt did that at Mines. Gregg Brandon could have left Mines for something more "elite", but he chose to make a good program very, very good. Bill McCartney could have left Colorado but was eventually rewarded for staying the course. Today, things are different for a lot of people. But in the end, how do you teach kids - 99.9% of whom will not play beyond college - how to persist in tough times or deal with difficult issues when you leave before a job is done? Just my opinion.
                        Well said whodat. Based on how CMU travelled to Gunnison it didn't look like there was much buy in the GJ community with Jackson. That'll change with Kochevar. Hash tags don't work if you don't mean it.

Comment

Next man up for Pueblo DC? Herman Smith or no?

Comment

Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post
                            Next man up for Pueblo DC? Herman Smith or no?
                            https://gothunderwolves.com/news/202...assistant.aspx

Comment

Looks like Mesa got a new OC

https://sentinelcolorado.com/sports/...sa-university/

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X