3) C Mesa U
    4) WCU
    5) Chadron SU
    6) SDM
    7) BHSU
    8) NMHU
    9) ASU
    10) FLC

3 & 4 could flip. New HC at Mesa and Western had a great year.
    Wristen wont let last year sour his team at CSUP. Motivation for this year.
    5 - 9 you could toss darts to pick em
    Good Luck to the new coach at FLC.

1. Western- Foundation for success has been set and the entire coaching staff returns.
    2. Mines
    3. Pueblo
    4. Mesa
    5. Chadron
    6. Highlands
    7. South Dakota Mines
    8. Black Hills
    9. Adams
    10. Fort Lewis

Comment

1) MINES - As long as Matocha is under center they're going to lead the pack.

2) CMU - Even with the departure of Jackson and a bunch of standout defensive guys I don't see the Mavs falling off a cliff. Karst Hunter will be motivated to further solidify his place in the conference and challenge Matocha for top QB honors. Also, think the team as a whole is out to prove Mesa truly is back and last year wasn't a fluke.

3) CSU-P - No way the Thunderwolves don't bounce back. Brayle Brown is a major addition to the staff, don't be surprised when Pueblo is slinging it all over the yard next year.

4) WESTERN - Man was this a fun team to watch finally get over the hump, Coach Bains and that staff deserved to finally win it and get some recognition! But I think the losses of Lydle and Farris on the defensive side are HUGE! They'll still play the best teams in the conference tough but I don't see them winning the title again.

5) HIGHLANDS - I was going to put Chadron here but they weren't very good with one of the best QB's in school history and Holst graduated. I have to imagine Highlands' surprise run helped them out big time this last recruiting cycle. Also continuity! Returning coaching staff should be able to build on last year.

6) CHADRON - They're always going to be tough on the defensive end and Elijah Myles is electric with the rock in his hands. But who's the QB?

7) SD MINES - They've competed better and better over the years but I still don't think they're ready to take that step into the upper echelon of the conference.

8) FORT LEWIS - I know, they've been atrocious as of late! But with an offensive-minded guy taking over at the helm I think they can get things going in a better direction. Of course, this is assuming Jack Hanenburg or another (Nolan Bynum is my sleeper pick) takes a massive leap this spring and brings stability to the QB position. Moving forward though I expect this program to be reenergized and get some more funding. Cox is a Skyhawks legend himself and was very charismatic when I met him recently. I imagine he'll be able to fundraise with the best of them.

9) ADAMS - They'll be able to score as always but will they ever play defense in Alamosa? Adding insult to injury their star DB Bryce Hampton transferred to Purdue.

10) BLACK HILLS - Someone had to come in last. they could jump Fort Lewis or Adams and I wouldn't be surprised.
      Last edited by TCMavs21; 03-23-2022, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TCMavs21 View Post

2) CMU - Even with the departure of Jackson and a bunch of standout defensive guys I don't see the Mavs falling off a cliff. Karst Hunter will be motivated to further solidify his place in the conference and challenge Matocha for top QB honors. Also, think the team as a whole is out to prove Mesa truly is back and last year wasn't a fluke.

3) CSU-P - No way the Thunderwolves don't bounce back. Brayle Brown is a major addition to the staff, don't be surprised when Pueblo is slinging it all over the yard next year.

4) WESTERN - Man was this a fun team to watch finally get over the hump, Coach Bains and that staff deserved to finally win it and get some recognition! But I think the losses of Lydle and Farris on the defensive side are HUGE! They'll still play the best teams in the conference tough but I don't see them winning the title again.

5) HIGHLANDS - I was going to put Chadron here but they weren't very good with one of the best QB's in school history and Holst graduated. I have to imagine Highlands' surprise run helped them out big time this last recruiting cycle. Also continuity! Returning coaching staff should be able to build on last year.

6) CHADRON - They're always going to be tough on the defensive end and Elijah Myles is electric with the rock in his hands. But who's the QB?

7) SD MINES - They've competed better and better over the years but I still don't think they're ready to take that step into the upper echelon of the conference.

8) FORT LEWIS - I know, they've been atrocious as of late! But with an offensive-minded guy taking over at the helm I think they can get things going in a better direction. Of course, this is assuming Jack Hanenburg or another (Nolan Bynum is my sleeper pick) takes a massive leap this spring and brings stability to the QB position. Moving forward though I expect this program to be reenergized and get some more funding. Cox is a Skyhawks legend himself and was very charismatic when I met him recently. I imagine he'll be able to fundraise with the best of them.

9) ADAMS - They'll be able to score as always but will they ever play defense in Alamosa? Adding insult to injury their star DB Bryce Hampton transferred to Purdue.

10) BLACK HILLS - Someone had to come in last. they could jump Fort Lewis or Adams and I wouldn't be surprised.
        Great post. I'm excited to see how Bynum does at FLC coming off his knee rehab. The resurgence of Fort Lewis will be big for the rest of the conference.

Comment

Chadron has a ton of losses to graduation.

Myles isn't on the roster anymore. He must have graduated quietly after 4 years. Like you mentioned, Holst graduated, along with the top two WR, three OL (including an All-America), and a TE who potentially could've been their best receiver but couldn't stay on the field.

Out of the guys who started the opener last year, they return three on offense and five on defense. I suspect the defense might improve due to a ton of younger talent, who weren't necessarily starters, but the offense only returns a center, a right tackle, and one WR who only caught 13 balls last year.

Also, re: Highlands. They have a new head coach and unless they just hid the coaching staff, it looks like he cleaned house. They also lost arguably their best QB of all time.
          https://nmhuathletics.com/sports/foo...roster-coaches

I would go:
          CO Mines
          Western
          Mesa
          Pueblo
          SD Mines
          Adams
          Chadron
          Highlands
          Black Hills
          Fort Lewis

Comment

Keep in mind that CO Mines will also return All American RB Michael Zeman as well. The combo of Matocha and Zeman will be among the best in D2..paired with a defense that's seemingly gotten better over the course of time.

Personally, I'd have BHSU ahead of Adams and FT. Lewis..and possibly higher than that....but the middle with Chadron, SD Mines, and Highlands seems like throwing darts at the moment. Western isn't going to surprise anyone this year and it'll be interesting to see if they can repeat their success of 2021. I'm not sure if Pueblo will be throwing the ball all over the place..that doesn't seem like Coach Wristen's identity..but one would think they are ready for a bounce-back year. Coach Jackson lit a fire with his group at Mesa and it'll be interesting to see if the new leadership and nearly entirely new staff can sustain that momentum..especially on the defensive side. Hunter is a really good athlete (playing quarterback) and should be able to make plays offensively yet.

With CO Mines opening up at Grand Valley and then hosting Angelo State..they could be at-risk for a slow start like CSUP had in 2021 with a very ambitious OOC schedule to begin the campaign. Both of those opponents also return a lot of their key pieces. Pueblo once again will have a tough start as well....at MW State and then hosting Grand Valley.

Comment

Pueblo looked soft last year, will that be fixed? Their OL that returned every starter was not physical and got dominated at the LOS, their defense missed more tackles than the last several seasons combined.

If these things do not change they will again be mediocre compared to the standard they had set. I don't expect them to at all compete with Grand Valley. They didn't look like they belonged on the same field as them last year.

Comment

I count only 9 seniors left on Chadron's roster, and only 6-7 of those are competing for starting roles
                https://chadroneagles.com/news/2022/...ll-effect.aspx

Comment

I may have to amend my prediction on CMU finishing second. The transfer portal has absolutely ravaged their roster. They still got some standout guys in key spots but the depth is severely lacking now.

Comment

Comment

I may have to amend my prediction on CMU finishing second. The transfer portal has absolutely ravaged their roster. They still got some standout guys in key spots but the depth is severely lacking now.
                      On that note I wonder if QB Christian Moore is still with the team. He is currently listed on the 2022 roster if that is up to date, and his Twitter still says Colorado Mesa. After a breakout season in 2019 at CWU, he looked destined for a huge season in 2021 until Karst transferred in and stole his spotlight. I figured Moore would surely transfer again to find another starting gig.

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post

On that note I wonder if QB Christian Moore is still with the team. He is currently listed on the 2022 roster if that is up to date, and his Twitter still says Colorado Mesa. After a breakout season in 2019 at CWU, he looked destined for a huge season in 2021 until Karst transferred in and stole his spotlight. I figured Moore would surely transfer again to find another starting gig.
                        The cold, hard realities of college sports, even at the D2 level: Christian Moore probably isn't a very good QB. He bailed/quit on CWU and rode the bench at Mesa. I love D2, but it's not like he was at Michigan or USC. He didn't win the job. He's probably just not very good.

Comment

I see Logan Bayus missing. He says on Twitter he's a grad transfer. I saw a sad statistic recently, Somewhere less than 25% of D2 football players who enter the portal actually find a transfer home. That tells me a lot of careers come to an end because of the portal.

On a more positive note, some of these players who go off the roster, especially as juniors, may just have finished their degree and don't want to keep paying whatever they owe after their partial scholarship, just to play out their eligibility in D2. I think this is happening everywhere more than we realize. Just because the athletic website says they're a sophomore or junior, and the coach thinks they'll stick around as long as they can, doesn't mean they'll stick around. If a kid came in with the 2018 class, had a redshirt year, a freshman year, a Covid year, and a sophomore year, he could've finished his degree by now and be ready to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
                            Christian Moore probably isn't a very good QB. He bailed/quit on CWU and rode the bench at Mesa. I love D2, but it's not like he was at Michigan or USC. He didn't win the job. He's probably just not very good.
                            He passed for 2200 yards and 28 TD in 9 games in 2019. He is most certainly a D2 starter. Having Hunter transfer in was unfortunate for him. I thought he would transfer again to salvage any playing time he still can. Maybe waiting until end of the term while he waits to see where other QB transfers land.

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post

He passed for 2200 yards and 28 TD in 9 games in 2019. He is most certainly a D2 starter. Having Hunter transfer in was unfortunate for him. I thought he would transfer again to salvage any playing time he still can. Maybe waiting until end of the term while he waits to see where other QB transfers land.
                              So we put up good numbers at a great football school to go transfer? What the hell is he looking for?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X