Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mines VS GVSU

Here currently at Lubbers Stadium. Beautiful evening here in Michigan. Want to hear your opinions about the matchup. I'll try to give an update at halftime.

I fully expect GV to settle in and win rather easily, not in a blowout but also not being concerned going into the 4th.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
      I fully expect GV to settle in and win rather easily, not in a blowout but also not being concerned going into the 4th.
      Certainly unexpected thus far, no matter the outcome a great showing by Mines.

Comment

A few would of could of and should of’s. It does show that Mines can play with the big boys.

Comment

Yeah. I think Mines lost by the true 3 point home field advantage. That PI call in the end zone at the end was a bit soft IMO but not egregious. I think the flag stays in the pocket if that game were in Golden which wouldn't have been egregious either. If Mines doesn't turn the ball over twice in plus territory or makes their extra points and field goals, none of it matters anyway. I feel like Mines woke up in the second half and was the better team but you have to play a cleaner game against a team that good. It lived up to the billing for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by GoneBlastin View Post
            Yeah. I think Mines lost by the true 3 point home field advantage. That PI call in the end zone at the end was a bit soft IMO but not egregious. I think the flag stays in the pocket if that game were in Golden which wouldn't have been egregious either. If Mines doesn't turn the ball over twice in plus territory or makes their extra points and field goals, none of it matters anyway. I feel like Mines woke up in the second half and was the better team but you have to play a cleaner game against a team that good. It lived up to the billing for sure!
            I mean those were neutral refs. I don't know what conference they were from, but they weren't GLIAC refs.

The Mines CB kind of made his own bed throughout the game when it came to that last PI call. That WR had been Mossing that CB the entire first half and drew two pass interference penalties, including a straight up tackle at the goal line with the ball in the air. That WR got hurt early in the second half and came out of the game and GV's offense entirely went away. He came back out for that last drive, kind of limping, and again he got in position for the jump ball and the CB just did the same stuff he had been doing the previous five times they targeted that WR. The Mines CB just didn't stand a chance against him.

Both teams' offenses looked horrendous in the first half. I don't think it was necessarily great defense, but poor offense. GV's QB couldn't hit the broadside of a barn in the first half, and Matocha in the first half was getting crushed by the GV DL. The Mines OL couldn't block them at all. GV built that lead, WR got hurt, GV offense went dead and the GV defense started playing prevent. Mines started hitting the quick passes against the laid back defense, and then got two long TD passes from GV DB's falling down for some reason.

It felt, to me at least, like GV was in total control for the first 35 minutes of the game, and should have easily nailed that game down by double digits. But then they did their prevent defense and predictable offense stuff they always do, and Mines made them pay for it on both ends. So maybe I shouldn't say that GV should have won that by double digits, because that's just not how they ever operate lol.
            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

I mean those were neutral refs. I don't know what conference they were from, but they weren't GLIAC refs.

The Mines CB kind of made his own bed throughout the game when it came to that last PI call. That WR had been Mossing that CB the entire first half and drew two pass interference penalties, including a straight up tackle at the goal line with the ball in the air. That WR got hurt early in the second half and came out of the game and GV's offense entirely went away. He came back out for that last drive, kind of limping, and again he got in position for the jump ball and the CB just did the same stuff he had been doing the previous five times they targeted that WR. The Mines CB just didn't stand a chance against him.

Both teams' offenses looked horrendous in the first half. I don't think it was necessarily great defense, but poor offense. GV's QB couldn't hit the broadside of a barn in the first half, and Matocha in the first half was getting crushed by the GV DL. The Mines OL couldn't block them at all. GV built that lead, WR got hurt, GV offense went dead and the GV defense started playing prevent. Mines started hitting the quick passes against the laid back defense, and then got two long TD passes from GV DB's falling down for some reason.

It felt, to me at least, like GV was in total control for the first 35 minutes of the game, and should have easily nailed that game down by double digits. But then they did their prevent defense and predictable offense stuff they always do, and Mines made them pay for it on both ends. So maybe I shouldn't say that GV should have won that by double digits, because that's just not how they ever operate lol.
              I'm pretty sure they were GLIAC refs. Members of the same crew called 3 GVSU games last year - Michigan Tech twice and Northern Michigan once. That info is available in the box scores.

That said I'm not questioning their objectivity at all. I'm just saying because of the human element I think it is possible the flag came out where it would have stayed in the pocket in Golden. Either way, I'm fine with the call. Especially because, as you point out, the Mines secondary set the expectation of PI with their play earlier on.

Regarding Jahde Walker's cramps, did he even miss a down? He came off on the last play of a series and scored the winning touchdown. Don't think that has much to do with it. Also I don't recall them dropping into a prevent except the very last drive. Maybe they did a bit at 17-0 but certainly not when the game was closer. I think Matocha's legs had more to do with Mines' success in the second half. Getting him out of the pocket more opened passing lanes so balls weren't getting batted down and the GV D line had to start worrying about maintaining their rush lanes so he wouldn't take off.

I think the score was indicative of the run of play but could easily go the other way in a rematch that maybe we'll get to see.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneBlastin View Post

I'm pretty sure they were GLIAC refs. Members of the same crew called 3 GVSU games last year - Michigan Tech twice and Northern Michigan once. That info is available in the box scores.

That said I'm not questioning their objectivity at all. I'm just saying because of the human element I think it is possible the flag came out where it would have stayed in the pocket in Golden. Either way, I'm fine with the call. Especially because, as you point out, the Mines secondary set the expectation of PI with their play earlier on.

Regarding Jahde Walker's cramps, did he even miss a down? He came off on the last play of a series and scored the winning touchdown. Don't think that has much to do with it. Also I don't recall them dropping into a prevent except the very last drive. Maybe they did a bit at 17-0 but certainly not when the game was closer. I think Matocha's legs had more to do with Mines' success in the second half. Getting him out of the pocket more opened passing lanes so balls weren't getting batted down and the GV D line had to start worrying about maintaining their rush lanes so he wouldn't take off.

I think the score was indicative of the run of play but could easily go the other way in a rematch that maybe we'll get to see.
                Jahdae Walker didn't take a snap between about 10:30 left in the 3rd quarter (after his last catch), and the start of GV's last drive at 3:12 to play in the 4th. So he missed about 22 minutes of game clock. When he went out of the game, GV had no offense to speak of and it allowed Mines to easily close the gap.
                2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X