Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some observations from week seven

Supplemental to the weekly column - because my handlers want me to keep it non controversial - I made some notes from the five live steams (indeed, I watch them all as much as possible without going cross eyed). I saw two pretty curious coaching decisions. Neither changed the outcome, but they struck me as odd.

Chadron scored with 0:47 remaining to go up 28-27. Conventional scoring wisdom suggests going for 2 just in case the other side gets the ball in FG range on the ensuing possession. Instead, Gunnar Jones - who had been kicking the lights out of Don Beebe Stadium - is sent in and makes the score 29-27. It turned out to be immaterial since Adams didn't get within 50 yards of a go ahead field goal, but it left me scratching my head.

Twice after CSUP scoring a TD, Highlands was flagged for a personal foul and the 15 yards enforced on the kickoff. Twice, CSUP kicked from the 50, each out of the end zone instead of a squib or onside. Given how badly Highland's offense was struggling all day, why wouldn't Wristen take the low risk of giving up a short field in exchange for a potential recovery? This one stands out because last season against CSM, when Pueblo scored to narrow the lead 21-12, Mines got flagged with back to back UC calls and Pueblo kicked from the Mines 35. Everybody watching assumed an onside since even if it failed the ball would be in basically the same place as a touchback. Instead... kicked out of the end zone.

Again, none of these decisions affected the outcome, but does it speak to something else?

CSUP and Wristen will almost always do the expected. Except going for TWO to win the game in regulation. He has lost more than he has won on many occasions by going for TWO points instead of going for the tie and overtime. Not showing much confidence in the offence/defense to win in overtime. As for the onside kick, CSUP will practice it, but I have never really seen it be used except when they are behind. Wristen wont pile on the points on another team when leading by 30 points. Ft Lewis being the exception this year.

Comment

Originally posted by CSM alum 1993 View Post
      Supplemental to the weekly column - because my handlers want me to keep it non controversial - I made some notes from the five live steams (indeed, I watch them all as much as possible without going cross eyed). I saw two pretty curious coaching decisions. Neither changed the outcome, but they struck me as odd.

Chadron scored with 0:47 remaining to go up 28-27. Conventional scoring wisdom suggests going for 2 just in case the other side gets the ball in FG range on the ensuing possession. Instead, Gunnar Jones - who had been kicking the lights out of Don Beebe Stadium - is sent in and makes the score 29-27. It turned out to be immaterial since Adams didn't get within 50 yards of a go ahead field goal, but it left me scratching my head.

Twice after CSUP scoring a TD, Highlands was flagged for a personal foul and the 15 yards enforced on the kickoff. Twice, CSUP kicked from the 50, each out of the end zone instead of a squib or onside. Given how badly Highland's offense was struggling all day, why wouldn't Wristen take the low risk of giving up a short field in exchange for a potential recovery? This one stands out because last season against CSM, when Pueblo scored to narrow the lead 21-12, Mines got flagged with back to back UC calls and Pueblo kicked from the Mines 35. Everybody watching assumed an onside since even if it failed the ball would be in basically the same place as a touchback. Instead... kicked out of the end zone.

Again, none of these decisions affected the outcome, but does it speak to something else?
      I was at the game in Chadron. You can't see much of the sideline in the live stream, but it looked like the OC was giving Chadron's head coach hell over that decision. There was something heated going on down there, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post

I was at the game in Chadron. You can't see much of the sideline in the live stream, but it looked like the OC was giving Chadron's head coach hell over that decision. There was something heated going on down there, anyway.
        Interesting... thanks for the perspective. And was the wind as big a factor as the play by play guy claimed? Based on how many fourth down conversion attempts there were rather than punts, it certainly seems so.

Comment

Originally posted by CSM alum 1993 View Post

Interesting... thanks for the perspective. And was the wind as big a factor as the play by play guy claimed? Based on how many fourth down conversion attempts there were rather than punts, it certainly seems so.
          The Chadron kicker hit two 57 yard field goals with the wind so yeah I think so. It usually is a factor in most games in Chadron.

Comment

Originally posted by Packfootball View Post
            CSUP and Wristen will almost always do the expected. Except going for TWO to win the game in regulation. He has lost more than he has won on many occasions by going for TWO points instead of going for the tie and overtime. Not showing much confidence in the offence/defense to win in overtime. As for the onside kick, CSUP will practice it, but I have never really seen it be used except when they are behind. Wristen wont pile on the points on another team when leading by 30 points. Ft Lewis being the exception this year.
            Ft Lewis was so bad that unless you made a mockery of the game and just took a knee every play there was not much hope to not run the score up on them. Gotta let your young kids play, they work as hard as the starters do so I have no problem with that score.

Pueblo's special teams have been pretty solid throughout the years and much of that credit should go to Wristen. The biggest issue I had as a fan was the number of roughing the punter penalties that would give the ball back to the opponent and force a tired defense to go back out on the field during those years where the Pack D completely carried the team. While I don't always agree with Wristen's decisions, I'm also on the outside looking in and don't have decades of coaching experience nor do I know the pulse of the team at the time. I liked his decision to try for 2 against West Texas after that kickoff return with basically no time on the clock. That had to be deflating for WT and you go for the kill in my opinion. Second guessing such things is always easy to do.

Pueblo has most used the "onside" kick during the very windy games which happen frequently. I remember that 2011 playoff game against Duluth where a kickoff went basically straight up in the air and was almost recovered by Pueblo (I think anyway, or maybe they did recover it...too many cocktails ago for me to remember).

Comment

I attended that game in Chadron. Yes, the wind was absolutely a factor. I am not sure i agree the wind is always a factor in Chadron. This was the first game that there was any sort of a breeze in any games so far this year. Of course, the early September games can often approach or exceed 100 degrees, but the weather has been fairly mild this year so far.

Now, for the decision NOT to go for 2. Let me first say that I am not a fan of Jay Long, although I will state his mindset as I did listen to the postgame comments on the radio broadcast of the game. When he first made the decision to go for the extra point, I thought it was total idiocy and the coach just doesn't understand basic math. Jay Long said in the postgame that he was, indeed aware of the math, but he didn't want to "break the momentum" by having a possible failed 2 point conversion. He also did say that Adams was without their normal kicker and they didn't have much of a kicking game, AND the team would have had to kick a FG into the stiff steady breeze that was blowing all game. Probably about 25 mph, gusting to 35. So, Long was not at all worried about Adams kicking a FG. I still stand my by assertion that not going for 2 in that situation is total lunacy, you ALWAYS go for 2, as a 2 point lead is no better than a 1 point lead with 55 seconds left, and a 3 point lead with a successful 2 point conversion would at least force overtime if the opposing team makes a last second FG. I don't care about the idea of momentum, the math is easily the winning factor in this.

Although I still believe that Chadron remains a bad team this year, they have been competitive early in games, even against #2 Angelo and FCS Utah Tech. I don't believe Chadron will win another game this year, I am not sure if changing the coach will bring back winning ways to Chadron, but I would rather lose with a change at the top than continue the course they have been on the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by sportsvine View Post
                I attended that game in Chadron. Yes, the wind was absolutely a factor. I am not sure i agree the wind is always a factor in Chadron. This was the first game that there was any sort of a breeze in any games so far this year. Of course, the early September games can often approach or exceed 100 degrees, but the weather has been fairly mild this year so far.

Now, for the decision NOT to go for 2. Let me first say that I am not a fan of Jay Long, although I will state his mindset as I did listen to the postgame comments on the radio broadcast of the game. When he first made the decision to go for the extra point, I thought it was total idiocy and the coach just doesn't understand basic math. Jay Long said in the postgame that he was, indeed aware of the math, but he didn't want to "break the momentum" by having a possible failed 2 point conversion. He also did say that Adams was without their normal kicker and they didn't have much of a kicking game, AND the team would have had to kick a FG into the stiff steady breeze that was blowing all game. Probably about 25 mph, gusting to 35. So, Long was not at all worried about Adams kicking a FG. I still stand my by assertion that not going for 2 in that situation is total lunacy, you ALWAYS go for 2, as a 2 point lead is no better than a 1 point lead with 55 seconds left, and a 3 point lead with a successful 2 point conversion would at least force overtime if the opposing team makes a last second FG. I don't care about the idea of momentum, the math is easily the winning factor in this.

Although I still believe that Chadron remains a bad team this year, they have been competitive early in games, even against #2 Angelo and FCS Utah Tech. I don't believe Chadron will win another game this year, I am not sure if changing the coach will bring back winning ways to Chadron, but I would rather lose with a change at the top than continue the course they have been on the last few years.
                Momentum hell. It's a terrible decision. Unless the RMAC was going to switch to Canadian rules and make a single point possible, there was absolutely no value in being ahead by 2 instead of 1. I don't know how hot the seat is or isn't under Jay Long, but if I am their AD and I am thinking of making a change, this would push me into making the change. Just boneheaded.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X