Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Matocha

We Shepherd fans have been watching Tyson Bagent's assault on the D2 record books the last month or so, and I was looking at Matocha's stats. He's listed as a senior online, but it appears that he has only played three seasons. I assume that this is due to the COVID year. He is actually within range of two of Bagent's newly acquired TD records. He is currently 38 shy of the TDs responsible for record. And he's 47 shy on the TD passes record. Obviously, playoff games this coming weekend and the following weeks will play a huge role, but I found it interesting that two QBs are putting up all-time career numbers at basically the same time.

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post
    We Shepherd fans have been watching Tyson Bagent's assault on the D2 record books the last month or so, and I was looking at Matocha's stats. He's listed as a senior online, but it appears that he has only played three seasons. I assume that this is due to the COVID year. He is actually within range of two of Bagent's newly acquired TD records. He is currently 38 shy of the TDs responsible for record. And he's 47 shy on the TD passes record. Obviously, playoff games this coming weekend and the following weeks will play a huge role, but I found it interesting that two QBs are putting up all-time career numbers at basically the same time.
    Matocha started as a true freshman in 2019, and like the entire CSM roster, did not play in 2020 while retaining a year of eligibility. After this season, he will have one year of eligibility remaining. His status as a senior is his academic standing, likely to be playing next season as a graduate student.

Comment

Originally posted by CSM alum 1993 View Post

Matocha started as a true freshman in 2019, and like the entire CSM roster, did not play in 2020 while retaining a year of eligibility. After this season, he will have one year of eligibility remaining. His status as a senior is his academic standing, likely to be playing next season as a graduate student.
      How many starters return?

Comment

I think they returned 18 this year so there will be some attrition but they do a good job of establishing rotation players and developing depth so they should be ok.

Comment

Matocha has several things working for him:
          • He started as a true freshman
          • He has played in play off games each year
            • 7 total so far, with #8 coming this weekend
            • This will add almost a full season's worth of stats
          • His passing attempts have gone up each year
          • Within his increasing attempts, his attempts per touchdown throw has been about constant
            • Freshman - 11.8 Att/TD
            • Sophomore - 10.0 Att/TD
            • Junior - 10.0 ATT/TD
          • He is in a great QB system and is surrounded by great players

Currently he has:
          • 9,968 passing yards
            • 4,038 of those have come so far this year
          • 108 TD's
            • 41 of those have come this year
          • A career 70.3% completion rate
          • Only 19 interceptions on 1,130 pass attempts

He has also been a threat as a runner, adding 1,432 net yards and 21 TD's over his 3 seasons.

To bolster his stats, he has at least one more game this year, and if he chooses, another full season to come back and add to these numbers. One thing I have noticed at Mines is that the QB's who start as freshman and continue until their senior year come on to have video game senior seasons (resulting in two Harlon Hill winners for QB's in their senior season). So while his stats have increased every year, history shows his best may still be yet to come.

Comment

I disagreed with the choices of Friehauf and Dvorak. I think Matocha deserves it this year unless something drastic happens.

Comment

John has been a weapon on and off the field. When he's not throwing touchdowns, he is excelling in his tough Computer Science courses. Matocha is a genuine guy and can defeat anyone on this forum in a machine learning competition.

Comment

Originally posted by FortLewis4Lyfe View Post
                John has been a weapon on and off the field. When he's not throwing touchdowns, he is excelling in his tough Computer Science courses. Matocha is a genuine guy and can defeat anyone on this forum in a machine learning competition.
                The average 5-year-old can defeat me in a machine learning competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                  I disagreed with the choices of Friehauf and Dvorak. I think Matocha deserves it this year unless something drastic happens.
                  I can get on board with Dvorak.

I can't recall who else was prominent when Friehauf won, but he was cutting edge with putting up video game numbers and earned numerous NCAA records (4,600 passing yards, 39 passing TD's plus 15 rushing TD's). He also caused a program to win in a way that it literally never had before - they were not empty stats. While he was not alone, his season was the tipping point in the turning around of the Mines football program (and athletic department success) - it was that much of an outlier.

I had felt that Matocha would get to this point - just not this year. The primary buzz coming into the year was Zeman. But this offense is clearly Matocha's. That being said, there weren't a ton of times that I felt him just take over games - but that just speaks to his efficiency.

One of the things that may work against him, is something that worked in favor of the RMAC back in the Danny Woodhead days. Danny's junior year was mind blowing and he rode that momentum into his senior year when his stats were not near the same and not nearly as differentiated from his peers, but he was selected again. Danny, to some degree, got credit for his career in his second win, rather than the merits of that sole season. I think there will be that same bias in favor of Bagent this year, who himself has put up great numbers again (very similar to Matocha's raw numbers, but 100 more passing attempts). Either guy is a great choice and earned the award.

But, unlike this years statistically close race between Bagent and Matocha, I don't recall it being that close in 2004 when Friehauf won.

Comment

Hard to believe it was 18 years ago that Freihauf won the Harlon Hill. I remember Mines got smashed by Pitt State 70-35 in the second round. It was a cinderella season, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrecked Again View Post
                      Hard to believe it was 18 years ago that Freihauf won the Harlon Hill. I remember Mines got smashed by Pitt State 70-35 in the second round. It was a cinderella season, for sure.
                      Stupid game was on tape delay. When someone ruined it for me it was still 7-7. I almost went to jail that day.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneBlastin View Post

Stupid game was on tape delay. When someone ruined it for me it was still 7-7. I almost went to jail that day.
                        Glad you didn't!

Comment

Looks like we get to see a head to head matchup in Golden next weekend!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X