Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

So glad they pulled funding from a D2 football program to really show how much they love America.
    You obviously don’t know about all that DeRose and “Friends of Football” did for CSUP. We’ll just leave it at that.

Comment

Originally posted by texcap View Post

That’s loyalty, but then again, if the head coach can’t be in charge and the AD is calling the shots, what’s the point in being the head coach?
      BINGO

Comment

When the AD recognizes there are problems with the staff, but the HC is in denial, what's the point of letting the HC continue to call the shots?

Comment

Originally posted by RichardNoggin View Post
          When the AD recognizes there are problems with the staff, but the HC is in denial, what's the point of letting the HC continue to call the shots?
          A lot of ADs would like to have the problems Wristen and his staff had this past season. All they did was produce another winning season and take the team to the playoffs, again. Mines won the RMAC title and played for a natty but lost. Wristen is the only coach in the RMAC to actually win a national championship. Maybe the AD, and not Wristen, is the problem. What am I missing?
          Last edited by Lobo; 12-19-2022, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobo View Post

A lot of ADs would like to have the problems Wristen and his staff had this past season. All they did was produce another winning season and take the team to the playoffs, again. Mines won the RMAC title and played for a natty but lost. Wristen is the only coach in the RMAC to actually win a national championship. Maybe the AD, and not Wristen, is the problem. What am I missing?
            https://rmacsports.org/hof.aspx?hof=92

Tony Storti

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
              Montana State College won an NAIA championship, not NCAA Division II championship. And another thing, Montana was a member of the Rocky Mountain Faculty Athletic Conference (RMFAC), not the RMAC.
              Last edited by Lobo; 12-19-2022, 06:43 PM.

Comment

The program and staff have been living off the remaining fumes of 2014. The program is nowhere close to that. Only made it in to the playoffs because the NSIC couldn't send 5 teams. Non competitive in 3 games against top tier opponents. Embarrassing loss at home to Western.

Comment

Montana State College won an NAIA championship, not NCAA Division II championship. And another thing, Montana was a member of the Rocky Mountain Faculty Athletic Conference (RMFAC), not the RMAC.
                  The 1956 Montana State College (now University) football team is being recognized for capturing the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference's first-ever national championship

You are picking at small things. That team is in the RMAC HOF and is recognized as the first RMAC NC.

Here is what you said:

Wristen is the only coach in the RMAC to actually win a national championship
                  Look at the history of the RMAC. They detail that Montana State team as the first RMAC National Title in football.

I know it hurts....

Comment

Originally posted by RichardNoggin View Post
                    The program and staff have been living off the remaining fumes of 2014. The program is nowhere close to that. Only made it in to the playoffs because the NSIC couldn't send 5 teams. Non competitive in 3 games against top tier opponents. Embarrassing loss at home to Western.
                    Your claim that the program and staff have been “living off the remaining fumes from 2014” doesn’t mean anything. The assertion that the program is not where it was in 2014 may be true however. But ask yourself why. Is it because of the program, HC and staff? Or is there another reason?

Consider this. Why did Colorado Mines make it to the national championship this past season? Was it because of its first-year coach and staff? No. Why then? How about the fact that the team was stacked with talented players from out of the State of Colorado, primarily Texas? The Harlon Hill winner is from Texas.

Look back at CSUP’s 2014 team. Like Colorado Mines, it was stacked with out of state players. Half of the impact players on both sides of the ball were from out of state. On defense three players were from Florida alone. Even Morgan Fox, who played with the Los Angeles Rams and now with the Chargers, and went to HS at Fountain-Fort Carson, came to Colorado because his father served in the U.S. Army. Darius Allen, who played in the Canadian Football League several years, and was named the NCAA Division II's top lineman as recipient of the Gene Upshaw Award, graduated from East HS in Pueblo. He was a talented D-lineman however who was not recruited by DI schools because of his size.

On offense, Chris Bonner (the most talented QB CSUP has ever had) and his blind-side offensive tackle both came from California. And key receivers were from Arizona and Texas. Truth is, Colorado is not a hotbed of college football recruits. Every now and then you find a gem in the rough like Darius Allen. CSUP hasn’t had one like him since he graduated.

The game is won and lost on the field, not in the coach’s roundtable strategy sessions. Wristen and staff are not solely to blame for CSUP’s inability to beat teams with superior talent. To beat teams like Grand Valley State, Minnesota State Mankato, Mines and others, you gotta have horses like those teams. Unfortunately, CSUP has not been able to recruit a significant number of high level players the past few years. Make no mistake, CSUP has recruited talented players, but not like those who played on the 2014 team. Until it does, expect more of the same regardless who coaches the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

The 1956 Montana State College (now University) football team is being recognized for capturing the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference's first-ever national championship

You are picking at small things. That team is in the RMAC HOF and is recognized as the first RMAC NC.

Here is what you said:

Look at the history of the RMAC. They detail that Montana State team as the first RMAC National Title in football.

I know it hurts....
                      Again, Montana State College won a Rocky Mountain Faculty Athletic Conference (RMFAC) championship at the NAIA level back in the fifties. It did not win an RMAC championship at NCAA Division II championship.

The Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference (RMAC) came into existence in 1967. Eleven schools joined the conference. They were: Emporia State University, Fort Hays State University, Fort Lewis College, the University of Nebraska at Omaha, Pittsburg State University, the University of Southern Colorado (now CSUP), Southern Utah State University (now Southern Utah University), Regis College (now Regis University), Washburn University, Western New Mexico University and Westminster College of Utah. The new league was divided into two divisions: Mountains and Plains.

To repeat. Montana State College won an NAIA title, not an NCAA Division II title. It did so as a RMFAC member, not RMAC. And another thing. The NAIA and NCAA Division II have never been affiliated, merged or separated.

In sum, CSUP is the only RMAC team to win a national championship in football at the NCAA Division II level. Full stop.

I did my level best to explain it to you. Unfortunately, I can’t think it for you. Happy Holidays!

Comment

Again, Montana State College won a Rocky Mountain Faculty Athletic Conference (RMFAC) championship at the NAIA level back in the fifties. It did not win an RMAC championship at NCAA Division II championship.

The Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference (RMAC) came into existence in 1967. Eleven schools joined the conference. They were: Emporia State University, Fort Hays State University, Fort Lewis College, the University of Nebraska at Omaha, Pittsburg State University, the University of Southern Colorado (now CSUP), Southern Utah State University (now Southern Utah University), Regis College (now Regis University), Washburn University, Western New Mexico University and Westminster College of Utah. The new league was divided into two divisions: Mountains and Plains.

To repeat. Montana State College won an NAIA title, not an NCAA Division II title. It did so as a RMFAC member, not RMAC. And another thing. The NAIA and NCAA Division II have never been affiliated, merged or separated.

In sum, CSUP is the only RMAC team to win a national championship in football at the NCAA Division II level. Full stop.

I did my level best to explain it to you. Unfortunately, I can’t think it for you. Happy Holidays!
                        You went above and beyond. You never mentioned DII in the original post.

The RMAC claims history back to 1909. They changed the name in 1967. A little different than forming a new conference.

In 1967, the name changed to what it is currently known as, the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference (RMAC).

RMAC History - Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference (rmacsports.org)

Your "beef" is with them. I didn't list Montana State in their HOF as the first RMAC national champ.

Enjoy. You get credit for your "work"
                        Last edited by Runnin' Cat; 12-20-2022, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Got this off Facebook;

Jim Brooks Fan Page

·
                          Well I’d figure I’d let the dust settle on this weeks monumental announcement. Will treat this as a way to refute all the rumors based on all the calls and texts I have received the past three days. Where do we start . First of all John was not fired okay. Put that one to rest people. Now it is true the assistant coaches are in a way let go I guess but that is the nature of the beast. If the new regime that comes in he can rehire any number of them or none of them. That’s just the way it works. I’ ve personally known John’s decision since the Wednesday following the final John Wristen Show. After most had left he called me aside. We sat down to have a cold one. He just said “I’m done.” I just replied are you sure? The tear in his eye told me this was not a knee jerk decision. But I told him you gotta at least take a week or two. See how you feel then. He wasn’t much having that. But still he did in a way. I also shared with him that I or should say we (Joe Cervi) and I had a conversation with Paul Plinske on our drive home from exhilarating win at Hated Colorado Mesa. Dr Plinske asked us how he thought John was gonna play out the end of his tenure. I made it clear you gotta let this guy go out on his own terms whenever that day comes. Now perhaps they had already had the conversation. But my gut says no. Not based on the reaction and give and take. Plinske even floated the idea of just the position that John is taking. We thought it was a brilliant idea. The man bleeds ThunderWolves red and blue. So after John told me he was done I told him well you might be done coaching but you’re not gonna be done with CSU-Pueblo. His eyes and demeanor lit up. I told him about the conversation we had with his boss. Perhaps that was a no no but I felt I owed it to my friend plus my guess was Dr Plinske wouldn’t mind too much. John just said he told you this? About the position? I just said yeah. You have value way beyond the coaching sideline. It seemed to put him at ease. Of course as always the conversation ended much too soon. There are always those who want a piece of the head coach . We joined other friends who had hung around. We kept them in the dark . So when word broke this week It wasn’t news to me. Coaching is so much more than the three hours on the sideline or 11-20 weeks of practice starting in early August. There is recruiting. There are camps. Fundraisers. Outings. That stuff is doable. But in this new era of the transfer portal it wears on these guys. You’re always not only recruiting new players but you must rerecruit your existing team. Plus guys you didn’t land you have to be ready for when they look for greener pastures. It’s exhausting. Of course at D1 programs you just hire a few extra guys to handle all the transfer portal B.S. for lack of a better term. No such luxury at our level. Enough on that. The time is now to celebrate all this man has done for CSU-Pueblo and will continue to do in his new position. I told him number one on your list has to be that roster of former players. Judging from reactions on all social media platforms it will be an easy sale . Finally I just want to say thank you for not only our professional relationship on the airwaves but our personal friendship which has grown so much in the past few years. John told me one thing he really looks forward to is playing more golf. Especially on Sundays during late summer and early fall instead of worrying about how to pick up first down on 3rd and nine . John we will have a spot for you in our little foursome. It might be your chance to make peace with my brother Tommy for lighting him up on the sideline all those years ago on Baylor . Love you man. GO PACK!

Comment

What is the latest on this search? Anyone hearing any names?

Comment

Hearing possibly Vigil from western New Mexico

Comment

Originally posted by Buff90 View Post
                                Hearing possibly Vigil from western New Mexico
                                Vigil has been at Western New Mexico the past 2 years. In 2001 his team won 1 game and lost 10. This past season WNM won 6 games and lost 5. The Mustangs beat both Midwestern State and West Texas A&M along the way. Vigil played QB at Colorado Mesa and is a Denver native.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X